PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Students Claim Inauthentic Canteen Food Is a Microaggression

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2017, 11:55 AM
By Kieran Corcoran - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/2NBmaMQh.jpg

Students at the university of Cambridge have attacked canteen staff for producing inauthentic foreign food, claiming it is a microaggression.

Complaints piled in from members of Pembroke College, unhappy with attempts by their in-house restaurant (known as a buttery) at Jamaican, Indian, Chinese and Tunisian food.

One anonymous student wrote: “Dear Pembroke catering staff – stop mixing mango and beef and calling it ‘Jamaican Stew’, it’s rude”.

Other dishes singled out for criticism were “Oriental beef stew”, “Tunisian rice” and “African stew”, according to screenshots published by the Cambridge Tab.

Another said: “I’m used to as a minority student here being constantly invalidated when flagging up specific issues which is just the culture at Pembroke… Sure, I know there are bigger issues, but microaggressions are a reality of the everyday existence of many people of colour.”

Some students objected to the attacks on catering staff and defended the food.

One Indian student wrote: “While the Indian food in trough isn’t straight from my Dadiki’s karahi in a Mumbai highrise, I’m thankful to the Pembroke staff for at least trying.

“I urge people to look around and realise there’s a lot more to life than complaining about fruity chicken. Grow up.”

Although it is served in an elegant dining 19th century dining hall, surrounded by portraits of distinguished academics, food at Cambridge colleges is of similar quality to that served in college and faculty canteens anywhere, and has been for years.

What is unusual is students considering the quality of their dinner a matter of cultural violence, and engaging in earnest online flame wars over the issue.

The incident echoes comments last year by Lena Dunham, who decided the canteen sushi served at Oberlin, her alma mater, was not up to scratch.

She echoes comments by campus activists who said the low-quality Japanese food was a “gross manipulation of traditional recipes”, which they further derided as “appropriative” and “disrespectful”.

A student representative copied in to the discussion passed on the comments to Pembroke’s catering staff.

He responded that the head chef had been “upset” to hear the allegation and “will aim to do more in the future to avoid offending anyone else”.

deebakes
03-15-2017, 01:39 AM
:suicide:

RBP
03-15-2017, 02:36 AM
One Indian student wrote: “While the Indian food in trough isn’t straight from my Dadiki’s karahi in a Mumbai highrise, I’m thankful to the Pembroke staff for at least trying.

“I urge people to look around and realise there’s a lot more to life than complaining about fruity chicken. Grow up.”

Right answer.

He responded that the head chef had been “upset” to hear the allegation and “will aim to do more in the future to avoid offending anyone else”.

Wrong answer.

Godfather
03-15-2017, 03:51 AM
Actual recent story... I thought this whole thing was an overblown media farce but I think unfortunately it's spreading.

My wife was at a conference last weekend with some friends. All expenses paid, time off work - nothing to bitch about

Her aquaintance who was Indian actually started bitching to her about how the catered free dinner labeled 'Curry' is wrong, and how in India they don't even use the word curry.

My wife said 'oh ok, interesting what would this dish be called' - girl didn't know, she just said it wasn't authentic....

My wife then tried to compliment the food saying the naan was good. This girl goes "pfft, at least you didn't call it naan bread, thank you for that"

:roll: I don't even know what I'd say.

RBP
03-15-2017, 03:57 AM
I'd say, "sweet, more curry and naan bread for me. fuck yeah."

deebakes
03-16-2017, 01:45 AM
people are just always fucking worked up about something, chill the fuck out already :|