PDA

View Full Version : Cheerleader, 14, Killed After Log Rolls On Top of Her During Selfie

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2017, 11:16 AM
By Heat Street Staff

http://i.imgur.com/v4w9CZ0h.jpg

A cheerleader has drowned while taking a selfie on a beach.

Aurora Genai Sheffel, a 14 year-old girl from Eugene, Oregon, died after a log she and a few friends were standing while taking their picture shifted in the surf, trapping her body.

Her two friends managed to jump off the log but Sheffel did not.

Bystanders were able to pull her from under the log, according to the Register Guard. She was then given CPR and but died in hospital.

According the Sheffel’s stepfather, the teen was celebrating spring break as well as her recent selection to North Eugene High School’s varsity cheerleading squad when the accident happened.

“She was really mostly a nerd,” he told the Register Guard “Straight As. But she thought she’d give cheerleading a try.”

“They were just taking pictures and posing,” he added.

To help with funeral expenses, her bereaved aunt set up a Go Fund Me page .

“This unexpected passing has left everyone in shock,” the page reads. “Everyone loved Aurora and she was a bright and beautiful soul who brought joy to everyone she met.”

In less than 10 hours the campaign had reached its goal of $5,000. It now totals $8,715.

Oregon State police said the tragedy happened during a “heavy receding tide” and are now urging the public to educate children about the different dangers of the beach.

“Talk to the kids before you go about the different dangers. Read through all the safety stuff with the kids. For instance, it talks about sneaker waves. We hear about that occurring every so often and I know there’s signs at these state parks we go and see when I’m there, but yet we still have accidents,” Sergeant Kyle Hove told local media.

Death by selfies are an increasingly common occurrence.

Priceonomics found that 49 people have died as a result of some accident involving a selfie since 2014.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the average age of the victim is 21 years old.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Thats unfortunate

deebakes
03-28-2017, 11:44 PM
:rip:

RBP
03-29-2017, 01:59 AM
They see me rolllin....