PDA

View Full Version : LGBT Activists Claim ‘Bi’ Isn’t Inclusive Enough, Must Be Replaced With ‘Bi+’

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2017, 11:45 AM
By Kieran Corcoran - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/oKnt0AGh.jpg

A group of LGBT activists have decided that the term “Bi” (short for bisexual) is insufficiently inclusive, and are campaigning to have it replaced with “Bi+”.

They argue that the term, which traditionally refers to those attracted to both men and women, is incompatible with the huge array of available gender identities.

Delegates at an LGBT+ conference in London this month were told that the Bi label needed to expand to properly include those who are – for example – polysexual, pan-sexual or omni-romantic.

Delegates to the National Union of Students were invited to consider the motion “Bye Bi, Welcome Bi+” at a meeting of LGBT+ representatives for the UK’s National Union of Students on March 8th and 9th:

http://i.imgur.com/hyPNMir.jpg

Delegates at the conference would have voted to either adopt, amend or strike down the motion.

However, due to the opaqueness and secrecy surrounding the event, officials have been unable to confirm what happened.

The NUS has yet to respond to Heat Street’s requests for clarification.

The Bi/Bi+ debate is only one of many semantic disputes which the union is currently discussing.

Also on the books was a motion asking the NUS to rename its black students’ LGBT+ campaign to instead refer to QTIPOC (Queer, Trans and Intersex People of Colour).

Another requested that Trans be replaced with Trans+, while another reminded people not to shorten the terms “polyamory” and “polyamorous” to “poly” because that could “erase people of Polynesian descent”.

As Heat Street reported last week, another motion at the conference argued for “quiet spaces” – a variant of safe spaces – to be implemented at student parties, to accommodate people who don’t like loud noises.

Goofy
03-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Oh fuck off

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Oh fuck off

:privilege:

Goofy
03-28-2017, 12:27 PM
I wish :(

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2017, 12:32 PM