PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood plans to release movies online 45 days after they hit theaters

Teh One Who Knocks
03-31-2017, 05:06 PM
Lucinda Shen - Entertainment Weekly

http://i.imgur.com/CnxSv5n.jpg

According to a Sunday report from the Wall Street Journal, Hollywood studios are getting ready to release movies online just 45 days following its debut in theaters. That’s about half the time it takes now for movies to become available online after its theatrical release.

The move is likely a result of consumers increasingly turning to on-demand video and streaming services, such as Hulu and Netflix, rather than more traditional viewing platforms. (Remember Blu-ray discs?) The change in consumer preferences has troubled not only Hollywood, but also cable companies: A growing number of people are cutting the cord to save hundreds on monthly bills for the more manageable fees that come with streaming services.

DemonGeminiX
03-31-2017, 05:51 PM
:rip: Movie theaters

Griffin
04-01-2017, 12:07 AM
comme ci comme ça

Personally I haven't been to a theater in 20 years.
... not so much for my total disgust of the human race anymore but because I don't want to hear everyone's sob stories with whomever they are talking to on their phones or the obnoxious glare from their screens while texting.

Godfather
04-01-2017, 12:55 AM
Long overdue. Remember waiting 10 months to watch a movie you missed in theaters while they made the VHS/DVDs? What's the point in waiting now. I'm not crazy about going to the movies anyways. Overpriced, uncomfortable, food sucks and one asshole can take the experience from being average to down right sucking.

I'd rather stay home, order take-out, have some cold beers, sit on my couch... with big screen tv's and home sound systems being what they are, the appeal of going to theaters is gone for me.

If they can get a movie to me that was hyped with all that expensive advertising just 45 days earlier, it's a win-win.

Goofy
04-01-2017, 12:58 AM
Awesome :tup:

comme ci comme ça

Personally I haven't been to a theater in 20 years.
... not so much for my total disgust of the human race anymore but because I don't want to hear everyone's sob stories with whomever they are talking to on their phones or the obnoxious glare from their screens while texting.

:hi5:

I think the last movie i saw in the cinema was The Fast And The Furious :lol:

redred
04-01-2017, 05:27 AM
:woot:

DemonGeminiX
04-01-2017, 07:21 PM
:dunno:

I guess I'm in the minority then. I still like going to the theater. But then again, the price is still relatively cheap where I'm at compared to other places and I usually go a week after a movie is released to avoid the crowds. And I sneak my concessions in, so I don't have to pay the theater's ridiculous prices.... but damn their popcorn smells wicked good.

deebakes
04-01-2017, 08:56 PM
you and me both dgx, i like going with my kids. we hit a matinee on the weekend and for the three of us and a huge tub of popcorn it is under $20 :shrug:

PorkChopSandwiches
04-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Matinee by me was $9 for me and $7 for my daughter to see Logan. $5 for an Iced Tea and another $5 for a slurpee. This is way I dont go often.

DemonGeminiX
04-03-2017, 04:01 PM
At my theater, the matinée is $7 on the weekends, $5 on the weekdays. Again, I don't buy concessions, although, it really is the only way that theaters make any money nowadays. Ticket sales go to the movie studios and distributors. So, if you're into supporting local businesses, you'd buy concessions and not bitch about it.

I'm a cheap bastard, so I don't.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-03-2017, 04:04 PM
I do but them, but its so overpriced I just end up not going at all

Teh One Who Knocks
04-03-2017, 04:22 PM
There's no locally owned theaters here, they are all giant corporations. And there are 3 pricing tiers, one if you go in the morning before 11 AM, then another tier if you go before 3, then full price after that. And if you don't pick one of the first 2 tiers, it's $11/person for tickets. And concession prices are ridiculous. Last time me, the wife, and the kid went to the movies, it cost almost $50 between ticket prices and a couple of drinks and one popcorn.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I think the only family movie theater by me is a drive in . All the rest are corporate

DemonGeminiX
04-03-2017, 04:31 PM
The perks of living in a small town: Most things are cheaper.

Muddy
04-03-2017, 06:20 PM
I went and saw the Star wars story recently.. (The one with the colored boy in it) Every time someone flashed their god damn phones in that dark theater I had to grit my teeth..

PorkChopSandwiches
04-03-2017, 07:06 PM
(The one with the colored boy in it)
Fuckin grandpa

Muddy
04-03-2017, 07:17 PM
:lol: that was on purpose..

PorkChopSandwiches
04-03-2017, 07:22 PM
:lol: