PDA

View Full Version : Big Bank Now Offers Ten New ‘Gender Neutral’ Titles For Credit Cards

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2017, 10:40 AM
By Anna Rhodes - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/hUI2vWrh.jpg

A global bank has rolled out ten new gender-neutral titles for customers who don’t want to use traditional gender identifiers on their credit cards.

Familiar monikers like Mr, Mrs and Miss have now been joined by a host of terms including Ind, Sai, Myr and even Mre, which is short for “mystery”.

HSBC, a UK-based bank which has branches in 70 countries, including the USA, made the change after pressure from campaigners. The new terms will be used on all banking correspondence as well as being printed on credit and debit cards.

They also changed internal regulations to make it easier for existing customers to swap gender in the bank’s internal systems.

A spokesman for the bank said the variants, listed in full below, would help trans customers “feel confident” in an organisation which has been taught to “better understand them”.

Before the change, the bank limited customers to Mr, Mrs and Miss, as well as professional variants like Dr and Reverend.

Here are the new titles in full:

Mx (pronounced “mix” or “mux”)
Ind (abbreviation of “individual”)
M (a gender-neutral variant of Mr/Miss/Mrs)
Misc (“miscellaneous”)
Mre (“mystery”)
Msr (a mix of “miss” and sir”)
Myr (pronounced “meer”)
Pr (pronounced “per” – short for “person”)
Sai (pronounced “sigh” – used predominantly in Asia)
Ser (pronounced “sair” – used in Latin America)

The change follows efforts from other banks to cater to customers with non-traditional gender identities.

Metro Bank, an institution based mainly in London, scored a publicity coup last November by adding a “nonbinary” gender option and introducing the title “Mx”.

In 2014, the Royal Bank of Scotland stopped asking customers for their mother’s maiden name as a security answer – in case they had two fathers. They also introduced “Mx” for customers.

RBP
04-01-2017, 02:05 PM
:ffs:

Please stop. Just don't use titles. None of my credit cards have titles.

In 2014, the Royal Bank of Scotland stopped asking customers for their mother’s maiden name as a security answer – in case they had two fathers. They also introduced “Mx” for customers.

In case they had two fathers.

http://i.imgur.com/ceqmHjG.jpg

The idiocy makes my head hurt.