PDA

View Full Version : Police called after man refuses to take off breast cancer t-shirt

Teh One Who Knocks
04-03-2017, 12:01 PM
By Lydia Hu, Anchor/Reporter - FOX 6 News

http://i.imgur.com/L4ybxeL.jpg

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) -

Brian Studdard’s father turned 99-years-old this week. On Saturday, Studdard drove from Atlanta to Birmingham for a family celebration at Niki’s West.

But once Studdard arrived at the restaurant, he says a hostess explained there was an issue with his attire.

“One of the hostesses came to me and said some of the line servers thought my t-shirt was inappropriate or offensive,” Studdard explained.

The bright pink t-shirt bears a simple drawing of female breasts and states “Breast Matters” in large print. Studdard says he got it when he participated in a 5-mile walk in Atlanta to support a friend battling the disease and raise awareness for breast cancer. A website maintained by James B-More Wharton, an author in Baltimore, offers the shirt for sale for $10.99.

“One of my best friends died a few months ago from breast cancer, one of my sisters is a breast cancer survivor, so it means a lot,” he said.

Though the owner of Niki’s West declined to talk to us for this story, there are signs prominently displayed at the entrance that say “family establishment” and “modest attire required.”

But Studdard and his family defend his shirt. They believe it does not violate the modesty requirement. “In my opinion, for someone who finds this shirt inappropriate is truly uninformed,” Studdard said.

http://i.imgur.com/SOAw3Ol.jpg

We’re told the owner offered a different shirt to Studdard for him to wear during the birthday meal, so he could stay with his family. Studdard declined, explaining he did not feel comfortable with the idea of wearing someone else’s shirt. The business does not sell shirts, so he questioned where it would come from.

Instead, Studdard says he offered to wear his pink t-shirt inside out. Apparently, the owner was not satisfied, asked Studdard to leave, and eventually called the police.

A Birmingham officer responding to the restaurant confirmed a report was issued and explained if Studdard returns to Niki’s West in the future, he’ll be arrested for trespass.

Goofy
04-03-2017, 12:23 PM
:motorboat:

Griffin
04-03-2017, 09:11 PM
he should have lifted his shirt showing it to be an outline of his moobs.

The Monk
04-04-2017, 09:05 AM
What if the shirt had said "Black Lives Matter"!