PDA

View Full Version : Police cast wide net in search for suspect in Cleveland Facebook killing

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2017, 10:41 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/7evdVBi.jpg

Residents in four additional states were urged Monday to be on alert for a man accused of killing an elderly passerby at random and then posting the gruesome footage of the murder on Facebook.

Cleveland police warned residents of Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana and Michigan to be on the lookout for Steve Stephens, 37, who they said may have crossed state lines.

Authorities issued an arrest warrant for Stephens early Monday. He is charged with aggravated murder in the death of Robert Godwin.

The video purportedly shows Stephens getting out of his car and targeting Goodwin, 74, who is holding a plastic shopping bag. Stephens shouted the name of a woman, whom Godwin did not recognize.

"She's the reason that this is about to happen to you," Stephens told Godwin before pointing a gun at him. Godwin can be seen shielding his face with the shopping bag. The video of the killing was on the social media site for three hours before it was removed. Stephens account was also removed.

Facebook said the suspect did go live on the social media website at one point during the day, but not during the killing. Police earlier had said that Stephens had broadcast it on Facebook Live.

"This is a horrific crime and we do not allow this kind of content on Facebook," said a company spokesperson. "We work hard to keep a safe environment on Facebook, and are in touch with law enforcement in emergencies when there are direct threats to physical safety."

Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson and police Chief Calvin Williams urged Stephens to turn himself into authorities. Jackson said Stephens should refrain from doing “any more harm to anybody.”

Williams echoed Jackson’s sentiments. He urged Stephens to contact members of his church before hopefully turning himself in, the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported.

"If Steve has an issue, then he needs to talk to some folks to get that resolved,” Williams said.

Police said they have been talking with family and friends of Stephens, who is a case manager at Beech Brook, a behavioral health agency headquartered in Pepper Pike, near Cleveland.

"We were shocked and horrified to learn of this news today," agency spokeswoman Nancy Kortemeyer said in a statement. "We are hoping that the Cleveland Police will be able to apprehend Mr. Stephens as soon as possible and before anyone else is injured."

In one of the videos, Stephens can be seen holding up his Beech Brook employee identification badge.

Stephens also mentioned his fraternity, Omega Psi Phi, in one of his Facebook posts. The fraternity issued a statement Sunday night.

"On behalf of the Supreme Council and the members of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated, we lift our sincere and heartfelt prayers and condolences of comfort to the families impacted by the recent shooting in Cleveland, Ohio," it said.

Police said Stephens should be considered armed and dangerous.

The FBI said it was assisting in the investigation.

deebakes
04-18-2017, 01:20 AM
:(

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Matthew Diebel and John Bacon , USA TODAY

Steve Stephens, the suspect who posted video of a brutal killing on Facebook, fatally shot himself Tuesday in Pennsylvania, State Police said.

"Steve Stephens was spotted this morning by PSP members in Erie County," Pennsylvania State Police tweeted. "After a brief pursuit, Stephens shot and killed himself."

Cleveland’s police chief said Tuesday earlier Tuesday authorities had received more than 400 tips as they hunt for Stephens.

"This is a nationwide search, and we are getting calls from all over the country, as far away as Texas," Police Chief Calvin Williams said at a morning press conference.

Stephens, 37, had been charged with aggravated murder in the shooting death of Robert Godwin on Sunday.

"If you think you see Steve out there or if you think you spotted his vehicle, we want you to call 911 right away," Williams said hours before the manhunt had concluded.

Godwin's family said Monday they forgave the alleged gunman.

"Each one of us forgives the killer, the murderer," Tonya Godwin-Baines, a daughter of the 74-year-old victim, told Cleveland TV station WJW on Monday. "We want to wrap our arms around him."

Cleveland police said Stephens posted horrifying video of the apparently random killing of the father of 10 and grandfather of 14. It was later removed.

A son, Robert Godwin Jr., said: "Steve, I forgive you ... I'm not happy (with) what you did but I forgive you."

The family pleaded with Stephens to turn himself in. "To the young man who murdered my daddy,” Godwin-Baines told the TV station, “I ask that you please surrender. I forgive you and love you, but most importantly, God loves you. God can heal your mind and save your soul.”

The family’s words came as authorities intensified their hunt for Stephens, expanding the search nationwide.

In addition, Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson had announced a reward of up to $50,000 for information leading to the arrest of Stephens in the Easter Sunday shooting. The alleged shooter also claimed to have killed at least a dozen other people, although police said they have no evidence of it.

The claim came when detectives contacted Stephens on his cellphone shortly after the shooting but were unable to convince him to turn himself in. Williams, said officers and the FBI have searched dozens of possible locations for Stephens to no avail. No other victims have been found, Williams said, but he warned that Stephens should be considered armed and dangerous.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Thanks for saving the tax dollars

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2017, 04:45 PM
The only thing now is, they won't know if his claim of killing 13 other people was serious or not.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Its highly doubtful, they claim to have no evidence of it, and the unsolved murder cases can't be tied to him. He was just full of shit

DemonGeminiX
04-19-2017, 05:03 PM
His momma says he was a good Christian man. If he was a good man he wouldn't have gotten in so much debt and gone out and killed a defenseless old man who never did a bad thing to anyone. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I doubt he even 'snapped' as would be the case with real spree killers. He was a fucking coward that couldn't deal with the consequences of his own stupid decisions. It's too bad he couldn't just kill himself first and save everybody the time and trouble they wasted on him.