PDA

View Full Version : College Puts White People in Separate Room For ‘Privilege Workshop’

Teh One Who Knocks
04-20-2017, 11:26 AM
By Jillian Kay Melchior - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/5FD9VaIh.jpg

When Kennesaw State University held an event last week on privilege and interracial relations, it asked “those who identify as white” to go to one room and “those who identify as people of color” to go to another.

“The goal of the workshop, which was led by an outside expert, was to foster learning and create an environment of understanding and support for one another,” said Kennesaw State University spokeswoman Tammy DeMel. “Attendees were asked to work together and then were invited to join the group with which they identify.”

TheApril 13 event “is being mischaracterized” as segregation, DeMel added.

http://i.imgur.com/kWRJvxd.jpg

The event, a workshop called “Being, Becoming and Fostering Allies: Building Relationships Across Privilege,” was taught by two psychology professors and one grad student from the University of Massachusetts, as well as a Kennesaw State University professor.

In it, students learned about becoming an ally for less privileged people, as well as “the essential roles of self-reflection, cultural humility, and re-engagement after failures.”

Kennesaw State University is the latest to grapple with the implications of separating students by race. In the last academic year, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the University of Michigan, and Concordia University all found themselves facing accusations of segregation after they held events divided by race or focused on one particular racial group.

RBP
04-20-2017, 11:28 AM
I have to believe this will eventually turn back to reality, but I don't know.

Griffin
04-20-2017, 10:12 PM
I'm a white 55 year old heterosexual male... when the fuck is someone going to "foster learning and create an environment of understanding and support" for me? :tapfoot:

DemonGeminiX
04-21-2017, 01:45 AM
I'm a white 55 year old heterosexual male... when the fuck is someone going to "foster learning and create an environment of understanding and support" for me? :tapfoot:

:dunno:

You're already a member of this forum. What more do you need?

RBP
04-21-2017, 01:47 AM
:dunno:

You're already a member of this forum. What more do you need?

:lol: yes. This is my white privilege.

DemonGeminiX
04-21-2017, 02:09 AM
The only thing we're missing is poker night and Sunday football at Lance's place with beer and nachos.

deebakes
04-21-2017, 02:17 AM
poker/whiskey night happens once a month here :tup:

Godfather
04-21-2017, 03:11 AM
I have to believe this will eventually turn back to reality, but I don't know.

My guy Bill Burr was talkin about that recently, his hopes that it'll swing back (and his feelings that it's part of the comedians job to ensure it does). I really hope so.

It's also sexy media right now... I went to college 7 years ago and saw NONE of this stuff. A big part of me thinks it's majorly over-blown as with everything in the news.

perrhaps
04-21-2017, 07:39 AM
Since I identify with having a brain, I would have separated myself by leaving the building.