PDA

View Full Version : White House denies report Trump revealed classified info about ISIS to Russians

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2017, 10:18 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/4Zr7jkp.jpg

White House officials Monday denounced a Washington Post report that President Trump revealed classified information about ISIS to Russia's foreign minister and Moscow's ambassador to the United States during a White House meeting last week.

In a brief statement in front of the White House, National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster described the Post's story as "false."

The newspaper cited current and former U.S. officials who said Trump jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on ISIS in his conversations with the Russian officials, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Ambassador Sergey Kislyak.

"The president and the foreign minister reviewed a range of common threats to our two countries, including threats to civil aviation," McMaster said. "At no time, at no time, were intelligence sources or methods discussed, and the president did not disclose any military operations that were not already publicly known."

McMaster's statement echoed earlier denials issued by two other administration officials who attended the meeting.

"This story is false. The president only discussed the common threats that both countries faced," said Dina Powell, deputy national security adviser for strategy.

In addition, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Trump and Lavrov "did not discuss sources, methods or military operations."

McMaster said the statements by Powell and Tillerson "should outweigh [the accounts] of anonymous sources [in the Post report].

"I was in the room," McMaster concluded. "It didn't happen."

The officials told the Post that Trump offered details about an ISIS terror threat related to the use of laptop computers on aircraft. The newspaper says the information was very sensitive and had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement. They said it was considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government.

The Post claimed the intelligence partner had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russian officials. By doing so, the paper said, Trump jeopardized cooperation from an ally familiar with the inner workings of ISIS.

Afterward, White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and the National Security Agency, the newspaper reported.

If the Post report is true, it's unlikely that Trump has broken any law. As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secrets.

Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told reporters Monday evening that the Trump White House "has got to do something soon to bring itself under control and order."

He said he would have more to say when he knows more about the news report.

"The shame of it is there's a really good national security team in place and there are good, productive things that are under way through them and through others," Corker said. "But the chaos that is being created by the lack of discipline -- it's creating an environment that I think makes -- it creates a worrisome environment."

Democrats quickly jumped on the report, with the Democratic National Committee issuing a statement saying, "Russia no longer has to spy on us to get information – they just ask President Trump and he spills the beans with highly classified information that jeopardizes our national security and hurts our relationships with allies.

http://i.imgur.com/ZOzfKfl.jpg

"If Trump weren’t president, his dangerous disclosure to Russia could end with him in handcuffs," the DNC statement continued.

Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., the ranking member of the Senate intelligence committee, tweeted that if the Post's report was true, Trump's disclosure represented a "slap in the face to the intel community."

lost in melb.
05-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Afterward, White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and the National Security Agency,

All we need is some independent confirmation of this..

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2017, 01:29 PM
All we need is some independent confirmation of this..

Why? There's no "independent confirmation" of the story the Washington Post ran. All they cited were 'anonymous sources' just like every anti-Trump story that's been run this year.

Muddy
05-16-2017, 01:49 PM
No, Lance.. Stop.. It's over. The media says he's guilty.. That's all we need.. Fuck evidence and whatever else you need.. Their words are good for me.

DemonGeminiX
05-16-2017, 01:50 PM
You forgot the sarcasm tag.

Muddy
05-16-2017, 01:51 PM
:troll:

DemonGeminiX
05-16-2017, 01:53 PM
:lol:

Fair enough.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2017, 01:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/t4Ug8Qf.png

Muddy
05-16-2017, 01:59 PM
Possibly one of Comeys insiders.. I think he's a little chaffed..

DemonGeminiX
05-16-2017, 02:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKfCqYenZ1E&ab_channel=MarkF

Muddy
05-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Man, I was shocked.. I was in front of a TV at around 6 pm and I think it was CBS maybe.. The evening news came on and they rolled this story like they had just caught Trump red handed selling nukes to North Korea.. It was shocking to see such a production based on anonymous hearsay.. I'm not sure they even ran any other stories.. :lol:

DemonGeminiX
05-16-2017, 02:10 PM
I'm seriously starting to think some of these "news" agencies have hired 4chan trolls to make shit up.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-16-2017, 03:32 PM
All these conversations are recorded, its very easy to verify

redred
05-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Trump defends 'absolute right' to share 'facts' with Russia
US President Donald Trump has defended his "absolute right" to share information with Russia, following a row over classified material.
Mr Trump tweeted that he had shared "facts pertaining to terrorism and airline safety" and wanted Russia to do more against so-called Islamic State.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39937258

i guess when you have the power to decide what unclassified or classified then you don't have a problem

lost in melb.
05-17-2017, 12:43 AM
Levels of US classification - from lowest to highest

Confidential: Information that reasonably could be expected to cause damage to the national security if disclosed to unauthorised sources. Most military personnel have this level of clearance

Secret: The same wording in the first sentence above, except it substitutes serious damage

Top Secret: Again, the same wording except to substitute exceptionally grave damage

Codeword: Adds a second level of clearance to Top Secret, so that only those cleared with the codeword can see it. Administered by the CIA.

The material discussed by Mr Trump with the Russians was under a codeword, sources told the Washington Post.

:idk:

RBP
05-17-2017, 01:39 AM
Trump defends 'absolute right' to share 'facts' with Russia
US President Donald Trump has defended his "absolute right" to share information with Russia, following a row over classified material.
Mr Trump tweeted that he had shared "facts pertaining to terrorism and airline safety" and wanted Russia to do more against so-called Islamic State.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39937258

i guess when you have the power to decide what unclassified or classified then you don't have a problem

Any story that calls ISIS the "so-called Islamic State" is totally credible. [/S]

lost in melb.
05-17-2017, 02:09 AM
It is odd.

Anyone present at the meetings would have been a high-ranking official, who would have needed to have access themselves to high classified material to know that what Trump said was under codeword. Seems unlikely that such a person would anonymously talk to the Washington Post.

And there is no independent confirmation from the CIA.

RBP
05-17-2017, 02:29 AM
It is odd.

Anyone present at the meetings would have been a high-ranking official, who would have needed to have access themselves to high classified material to know that what Trump said was under codeword. Seems unlikely that such a person would anonymously talk to the Washington Post.

And there is no independent confirmation from the CIA.

And the CIA has a hard on for the dude. We are in very strange times... which should largely be ignored, lest we provide tacit approval to the lunacy.

Griffin
05-17-2017, 02:43 AM
People in charge are leaning back in their recliners ordering another bucket of popcorn and saying, "Let's watch how the sheeple in second world countries react to this fake news."

The Monk
05-17-2017, 04:26 AM
Some people will believe anything especially if it means having to think bad things of Trump.

lost in melb.
05-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Now he is accused of asking Comey to drop aspects of the Russia investigation.

I'm not saying he is innocent - he does have a history of being regarded as a sleazebag and con-artist, but a memo and an 'account' don't add up to hard evidence of anything.

Problem is, if he is considered a liability then he is a dead duck president, regardless of whether proved guilty or not.

We'll see :popcorn:

redred
05-17-2017, 07:13 AM
it's all fake :cheers: i'm just waiting for another mother of all bombs as a distraction so everyone can move on

lost in melb.
05-17-2017, 07:16 AM
Yeah, fook it. Let's ride the bobsled till we run out of mountain:cheers:

lost in melb.
05-17-2017, 07:18 AM
I mean, what's the worst thing that can happen

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sites/sbs.com.au.topics/files/gettyimages-470309868.jpg

DemonGeminiX
05-17-2017, 09:33 AM
The President has the right to determine the classification level of every piece of data.

By the way, Obama actually did the same thing that Trump is being accused of. And with Russia. And Russia turned around and attacked our allies in Syria when Obama gave the Russians that info. Where was the media's outrage then? Where was your liberal outrage then?

This is a liberal smear campaign, right out of Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals playbook.

DemonGeminiX
05-17-2017, 09:35 AM
Now he is accused of asking Comey to drop aspects of the Russia investigation.

By another New York Times report with anonymous sources. Like they're unbiased and reliable. [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

Again, this a liberal smear campaign.