PDA

View Full Version : University of Michigan Students ‘Marginalized’ by ‘Masculine’ Dark Wood Paneling

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2017, 10:31 AM
By Emily Zanotti - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/ue6Oni4h.jpg

The University of Michigan is about to embark on a major, multi-million dollar renovation of one of its most recognizable buildings, the Michigan Union. But if minority students have their way, the historic central feature of the Michigan campus might lose some of its signature decor.

At a March student government meeting, one student reportedly told administrators that, when the Union is refurbished, the lush wooden paneling, a prized feature of the building dating back to around 1910, should come down because it makes some students feel unsafe.

“[M]inority students felt marginalized by quiet, imposing masculine paneling” students claimed, according to the meeting minutes. They didn’t elaborate on precisely why the paneling was so problematic, but logic rarely comes into play in these kinds of complaints.

The paneling, of course, covers much of the inside of the building, and is visible in almost every photograph of the Michigan Union on the school’s own website. The building has libraries, quiet student spaces, and even an almost completely paneled event space, where the Union is capable of hosting everything from formal dinners to weddings. Taking it down would be quite a feat, and would render the building bereft of its historical character.

Luckily for the school’s historians (and its pocketbook), it doesn’t seem like the administration is taking the request very seriously. In a statement to the College Fix, a school spokesperson noted that the students have yet to make their paneling pare-down request official, and he doesn’t see it going anywhere if they do.

“There is a significant presence of wood paneling on the interior of the building and we expect most, if not all of it, will remain after the renovation,” he said.

RBP
05-16-2017, 02:49 PM
Are they just THAT bored?

DemonGeminiX
05-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Maybe, maybe knot.

RBP
05-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Maybe, maybe knot.

:rimshot:

A paneling pun. I'm impressed. :lol:

Muddy
05-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Ughhhh!! That fucking wood makes my genitals suck up into my body cavity everytime Im around it... Can someone poke me in the belly button and make my wee-wee pop back out?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-16-2017, 06:45 PM
wood you guys stop punning around

DemonGeminiX
05-16-2017, 07:08 PM
We can't. We're as board as the SJWs described in the article.

RBP
05-16-2017, 08:06 PM
wood you guys stop punning around

We can't. We're as board as the SJWs described in the article.

:rimshot:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Are they just THAT bored?

You missed your opportunity

Muddy
05-16-2017, 08:52 PM
Im hard as a board reading these comments about wood.

Muddy
05-16-2017, 08:53 PM
Not really.. Im just board.. :(

RBP
05-16-2017, 10:31 PM
You missed your opportunity

:sad2:

Pony
05-16-2017, 11:58 PM
I'm knot gonna listen to them stain the good name of The University of Michigan.