PDA

View Full Version : Will iOS 5 Put An End To Untethered Jailbreaking?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2011, 05:43 PM
By Mike Keller, PCWorld

http://i.imgur.com/0PFql.jpg

The second iOS 5 beta was seeded to developers last week and it looks like Apple has "stepped up their game" to combat jailbreaking, as reported by Gizmodo. The latest beta also takes measures against downgrading.

According to a blog posted by iPhone Dev-Team (the hacker group responsible for PwnageTool and Redsn0w jailbreak tools), Apple has altered the iOS boot sequence to require a signed authentication ticket- which is yet to be (and may never be) hacked. This renders current "untethered" jailbreaks, used in tools such as PwnageTool and Redsn0w, effectively useless for iOS 5 at the moment. There is another tool that uses an exploit earlier in the boot process called limera1n that will still function for the foreseeable future, but is a "tethered" jailbreak.

While I have the utmost confidence in the Dev-Team hackers it appears Apple is really ramping up measures against jailbreaking in iOS 5. Some find it disconcerting that iPad 2 has still not been hacked either. The cat and mouse game has been raging since 2007 but it looks like the real battle has just begun.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-28-2011, 05:50 PM
which is yet to be (and may never be) hacked.

These quotes crack me up

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2011, 05:59 PM
You know that nobody can hack an Apple....best OS ever :nono:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-28-2011, 06:00 PM
oh yeah, I forgot :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm here to help :lol:

samarchepas
06-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Can someone remind that Dev-Team that NOTHING is "unhackable"?

Berto
06-29-2011, 05:33 PM
By Mike Keller, PCWorld

http://i.imgur.com/0PFql.jpg

The second iOS 5 beta was seeded to developers last week and it looks like Apple has "stepped up their game" to combat jailbreaking, as reported by Gizmodo. The latest beta also takes measures against downgrading.

According to a blog posted by iPhone Dev-Team (the hacker group responsible for PwnageTool and Redsn0w jailbreak tools), Apple has altered the iOS boot sequence to require a signed authentication ticket- which is yet to be (and may never be) hacked. This renders current "untethered" jailbreaks, used in tools such as PwnageTool and Redsn0w, effectively useless for iOS 5 at the moment. There is another tool that uses an exploit earlier in the boot process called limera1n that will still function for the foreseeable future, but is a "tethered" jailbreak.

While I have the utmost confidence in the Dev-Team hackers it appears Apple is really ramping up measures against jailbreaking in iOS 5. Some find it disconcerting that iPad 2 has still not been hacked either. The cat and mouse game has been raging since 2007 but it looks like the real battle has just begun.

All is well in the JB community as i mentioned in an other thread Jailbreakme is hinting at a return with ios 5 and there is beta versions available to developers so they know what they are playing with.

PS the first jailbreak was done by a 17 year old boy nickname GeoHot or George Hotz so it cant be that hard can it???

I also found this
Comex, one of the hacker in the iOS community who is known for his userland JailBreaks has again updated the JailBreak.com. Earlier, he showed us a ski slope, black diamond and some PDF symbol which was supposed to be the teaser. This time, the site has been updated with some git commits dating all the way back to August 2010, suggesting that the developer was working on the Jailbreak since a year. Those who don’t know, Comex was the one who Jailbroken the iPad 2 and Apple unexpectedly closed the exploit that was never made public in iOS 4.3.1

In addition to the git commits, the JailBreak.com page has something written in it which says – ‘It’s been far too long’. Undoubtedly, it hints towards the release of something big that could be the much awaited iPad 2 JailBreak. However, there is no particular time and date is written. The title has a text ‘No seriously’ which makes it even more mysterious. @P0sixninja has already said that he is not at all included in any kind of development with @comex. Perhaps, he is doing everything of his own. It seems that the wait for the people looking for the iPad 2 JailBreak is about to over.

This can be concluded from the constant changes in the JailBreakme.com that the new PDA or whatever exploit comex has is actually working and he will release it anytime soon in the future. Will it be in few days or after the iOS 5 release this fall? are you desperately waiting for the iPad 2 Jailbreak? We will keep you updated!

Berto
06-29-2011, 05:33 PM
PS the first jailbreak was done by a 17 year old boy nickname GeoHot or George Hotz so it cant be that hard can it???

PorkChopSandwiches
06-29-2011, 05:36 PM

He's only the boy genius who has hacked everything including playstation, and has now been hired by facebook.

Berto
06-29-2011, 05:39 PM
yeh i just read that, he sat outside the apple store waiting for the first iphone and he took it home, didmantled it and jailbreaked it!! What the hell at 17 i knew how to shag girls lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM4nDoxoYgQ&feature=related

Berto
06-29-2011, 05:44 PM
I know Steve Jobs :monkey:is a thieving bastard but I love the iPhone i cant help it! I enjoy jailbreaking, some of the mods are quite cool I dont steal apps (LIE) and instead of having to pay Steve Jobs :monkey:99p for a ringtone, i have 6000 free uploaded by other jailbreakers.
Until this stops i will probs stay with apple and ios.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-29-2011, 05:46 PM
http://tehbasement.com/images/smilies/2278571377px.gif

Berto
06-29-2011, 05:48 PM
theres an evil monkey lives in my closet