PDA

View Full Version : ‘The Germans are bad, very bad’: Trump pledges to ‘stop’ German car sales to US

Godfather
05-26-2017, 01:58 AM
President Donald Trump is ready to fight Germany in an auto battle according to Germany’s Der Spiegel.

Trump got a chilly reception at the NATO summit in Belgium after attacking fellow members. But he was caught pledging a battle with German automakers as part of his anger with “back dues” he feels the country owes to NATO. As CNN’s Jake Tapper noted Thursday, “Trump seems to think it’s like a country club.”

In a discussion about the country’s trade surplus, Trump said. “The Germans are evil, very evil.”

“Look at the millions of cars they sell in the US, and we’ll stop that,” sources told Der Spiegel.

According to the report, EU Commissioner Jean-Claude Juncker took up for Germany explaining that “free trade is good for all.”

According to a report from the “Süddeutsche Zeitung,” the EU allies were horrified by the willingness of the Americans to view global trade with such a lack of awareness. Trump’s economic consultant Gary Cohn was said to have chided German auto trade during a discussion between the US and Germany and the USA and Belgium. Trump had previously attacked them during another conversation.

“I would say to BMW if they want to build a factory in Mexico and sell cars to the US without a 35 percent tax, they can forget that,” Trump said at the time.

The report revealed that since that comment, there has been “a threat of a criminal tax” in the room.

Trump is bothered by Germany’s trade surplus because many other countries have deficits, particularly the U.S.

Godfather
05-26-2017, 02:00 AM
I probably shouldn't chime in first on my own post without taking the temperature of the forum, but this confuses me :lol: Trade isn't always a zero sum game... these companies all have plants in the US (BMW's largest factory is in SC)

lost in melb.
05-26-2017, 06:57 AM
I probably shouldn't chime in first on my own post without taking the temperature of the forum

Oh, you know the temperature here. USA hot, rest of world cool :lol:

In a discussion about the country’s trade surplus, Trump said. “The Germans are evil, very evil.”

But if the US had a surplus it would be God's will.

And, of course, if you can reduce your own tax bill you're "super clever" ;) ;)

RBP
05-26-2017, 08:20 AM
Here's idea, Jake... (and Canadian Jake and AU Jake in this thread)... wait and see what's negotiated. Then have an actual opinion about an actual outcome. What a concept!

Did you ignore what he stated as the premise? I'm sorry, of course you did, because that would require logic and reason. Muh bad. NATO is disproportionately US funded. You have a trade surplus, Germany, so pay your share, or we'll make an effort to fuck you on trade. Sounds like a decent opening salvo to me.

The confirmation bias is getting really fucking annoying.

lost in melb.
05-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Here's idea, Jake... (and Canadian Jake and AU Jake in this thread)... wait and see what's negotiated. Then have an actual opinion about an actual outcome. What a concept!

Did you ignore what he stated as the premise? I'm sorry, of course you did, because that would require logic and reason. Muh bad. NATO is disproportionately US funded. You have a trade surplus, Germany, so pay your share, or we'll make an effort to fuck you on trade. Sounds like a decent opening salvo to me.

The confirmation bias is getting really fucking annoying.

The US has probably paid too much for NATO, but it's an interesting question whether or not an economically successful country should pay more on the basis of that success. Germany has no army and thus should probably foot a bit extra than other countries, given it has less bills to pay at home.

Trouble is Trump has just called Germany very evil at a NATO summit, so I imagine not much cooperation will be forthcoming.

RBP
05-26-2017, 03:27 PM
The US has probably paid too much for NATO, but it's an interesting question whether or not an economically successful country should pay more on the basis of that success. Germany has no army and thus should probably foot a bit extra than other countries, given it has less bills to pay at home.

Trouble is Trump has just called Germany very evil at a NATO summit, so I imagine not much cooperation will be forthcoming.

There has been a long standing percentage-of-gdp agreement that many NATO nations have never honored and the US had covered for them. The US also disproportionately funds the corrupt and bloated UN. Both situations have been completely ridiculous for decades. No US President has called them out before. Last I checked that's why he got elected.

The Monk
05-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Why is that we who find Trump a buffoon are biased? Aren't those who see him as a Messiah biased too?

:?: :?: :?:

RBP
05-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Why is that we who find Trump a buffoon are biased? Aren't those who see him as a Messiah biased too?

:?: :?: :?:

This OP is a great example. Trump didn't say the German's were "evil, very evil" - that's an intention misquote. And the problem is that nobody so inclined cares if it's accurate because it confirms what they already know.

Lost IM quoted it as the reason the German's won't cooperate. See? Trump the buffoon is at it again!

Noilly Pratt
05-26-2017, 10:09 PM
Read Trump's "The Art of the Deal".

Initially when you are negotiating, do something to put your opponent off-balance or say something provocative. Basically the premise is that he views any goods, wether it's BMWs or oil or whatever it may be, as "that person/country has my X, and it's up to me to get it back as cheaply as possible". Making friends and and diplomacy isn't considered but is done minimally to ensure future deals.

Trump is a ruthless negotiator in business and wins as much as he loses. We are seeing how well, or not well that translates into the political arena.

It will make for interesting times, to be sure.

lost in melb.
05-27-2017, 12:36 PM
This OP is a great example. Trump didn't say the German's were "evil, very evil" - that's an intention misquote. And the problem is that nobody so inclined cares if it's accurate because it confirms what they already know.

Lost IM quoted it as the reason the German's won't cooperate. See? Trump the buffoon is at it again!

It's true that there was a deliberate miss-translation. And yes, we probably assume the worst of Trump.

I don't know about the whole trade things being entangled with NATO. Keep em seperate, I say.

The much more interesting question is why does Germany have a surplus and the US doesn't?

The Monk
05-27-2017, 02:10 PM
The much more interesting question is why does Germany have a surplus and the US doesn't?

If I remember correctly, Germany also survived the GFC quite well.