PDA

View Full Version : Portland deaths: Two stabbed trying to stop anti-Muslim abuse

redred
05-27-2017, 05:32 PM
https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/BD14/production/_96240484_mediaitem96240483.jpg

Two men have died in the US trying to stop a man abusing two women of Muslim appearance, Oregon police say.
The abusive man turned on the two men and fatally stabbed them in the city of Portland, police said.
The incident happened on a commuter train. Another passenger was wounded before the attacker was arrested.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations urged President Trump to speak out against increasing Islamophobia in the US.
It accused the president of exacerbating the trend with his statements and policies.
The attack took place at about 16:30 local time (00:30 GMT) on a train at Hollywood Transit Station, police said in a statement. One of the victims died at the scene, the other died in hospital.
Police have identified the suspect as Jeremy Joseph Christian, 35. He has been charged with offences including aggravated murder, attempted murder, intimidation and being a felon in possession of a restricted weapon.
"Suspect was on the train and he was yelling and ranting and raving a lot of different things, including what would be characterised as hate speech or biased language," said Sgt Pete Simpson.
"In the midst of his ranting and raving, some people approached him, appeared to try to intervene with his behaviour. Some of the people that he was yelling at, they were attacked viciously by the suspect, resulting in the two deaths and one injury."

Jeremy Joseph Christian was arrested shortly after he got off the train. The two women he was abusing - one of whom was said by eyewitnesses to have been wearing a headscarf - left the scene before police could speak to them.
However one of the girls' parents later told the Oregonian newspaper that they were teenagers, one black and one Muslim.
Dyjuana Hudson said the attacker "was saying that Muslims should die. That they've been killing Christians for years".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40070319

deebakes
05-27-2017, 08:46 PM
:shock:

RBP
05-28-2017, 07:20 AM
Let's consider this. He was belligerent. He was an asshole. But he was only speaking. He did not get violent until the white knights intervened.

redred
05-28-2017, 07:46 AM
He had a weapon so he could of at any point used it on the girls

Hugh_Janus
05-28-2017, 08:36 AM
t6hen there would be two less terrorists in the world :tup: this guy should be hailed a hero! I'm wondering though, what the reaction would be if the attacker was a muslim telling two white girls that all white people should die... I'm guessing not much would be considered there :-k

also, taliesin myrddin namkai-meche.... wtf... two of the welshest names evr :lol:

lost in melb.
05-28-2017, 11:03 AM
"was saying that Muslims should die. That they've been killing Christians for years".

I think something must be done about these Christian extremists, and the state-sponsored vitriol that radicalises them. Why didn't moderate Christian inform authorities regarding this rotten Skittle? You should immediately put a stop to immigration from Christian-majority countries and introduce extreme vetting.

Pony
05-28-2017, 12:53 PM
I think something must be done about these Christian extremists, and the state-sponsored vitriol that radicalises them. Why didn't moderate Christian inform authorities regarding this rotten Skittle? You should immediately put a stop to immigration from Christian-majority countries and introduce extreme vetting.

That's racists! They need to let unvetted Christians in by the tens of thousands, then exempt them from Sharia
law based on religious beliefs!

RBP
05-28-2017, 02:42 PM
He had a weapon so he could of at any point used it on the girls

But he didn't, did he... I am willing to bet that they were every bit as aggressive with the stabber as the stabber was with the Muslims. But THEIR hate speech was socially acceptable hate speech.

So, um, which was it...

“It appears preliminarily that the victims — at least a couple of them — were trying to intervene in his behavior, deescalate him and protect some other people on the train when [the suspect] viciously attacked them,” Simpson said.

OR

“People lost their lives or were injured because they stood up to hate,” Eudaly said in the statement. “We need to offer our heartfelt support to the women and others who were targeted. The courage of the people who stood up for them is a reminder that we as a city need to stand together to denounce the hate.”

redred
05-28-2017, 03:22 PM
I bet those men were picking on the racist bully bloke who was just talking out loud to those girls , but as we weren't there guess we'll just have to take the media's word for it

RBP
05-28-2017, 03:47 PM
I bet those men were picking on the racist bully bloke who was just talking out loud to those girls , but as we weren't there guess we'll just have to take the media's word for it

You can. I'm not. We have a long history of creating fake narratives to fit the social cause.

redred
05-28-2017, 03:52 PM
:fbd:

RBP
05-28-2017, 03:59 PM
:lol: Whatever, dude. If your "deescalation skills" escalate the situation and two people get killed, maybe you should have kept your mouth shut.

redred
05-28-2017, 04:52 PM
i would of thought they were thinking they were doing to right thing , his arrest video looks like he was trying for suicide by cops

Hugh_Janus
05-28-2017, 08:28 PM

I think youy've got it wrong, those girls were spewing religious hate speech and and there were a bunch of apologists on the bus... crazy knife felon guy was defending 'murica :lol:

deebakes
05-28-2017, 11:11 PM
i probably would have gotten stabbed :|

RBP
05-29-2017, 05:51 AM

On a serious note, you Aussies invented Mental Health First Aid. They did nothing right. It's like trying to perform CPR if you've never been trained. You shouldn't be shocked if it goes terribly wrong.

lost in melb.
05-29-2017, 08:36 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Suspect in brutal Portland hate crime murders is known white supremacist. I photo&#39;d him giving Nazi salute in April <a href="https://t.co/oZJvre8oL5">https://t.co/oZJvre8oL5</a> <a href="https://t.co/wHuylG5C2f">pic.twitter.com/wHuylG5C2f</a></p>&mdash; doug brown (@dougbrown8) <a href="https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/868445941132443648">27 May 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

redred
05-29-2017, 08:40 AM
girls were aged 16 and 17

lost in melb.
05-29-2017, 08:40 AM
That's racists! They need to let unvetted Christians in by the tens of thousands, then exempt them from Sharia
law based on religious beliefs!

Touche!

On a serious note, you Aussies invented Mental Health First Aid. They did nothing right. It's like trying to perform CPR if you've never been trained. You shouldn't be shocked if it goes terribly wrong.

Point taken ( I didn't know about our mental first aid history, so thank you).

But, how many times have we applauded heroes who chivalrously step in on this forum? This guys was armed and vicious, so they were out of luck. I am guessing this guy was after blood, one way or another, and if not this day it would have been another.

RBP
05-30-2017, 01:29 PM
This is how convenient narratives become public policy...

Portland mayor aims to nix free-speech rally, fears 'hatred'

The mayor of Portland, Oregon, on Monday urged U.S. officials and organizers to cancel a "Trump Free Speech Rally" and other similar events, saying they are inappropriate and could be dangerous after two men were stabbed to death on a train as they tried to help a pair of young women targeted by an anti-Muslim tirade.

"I hope we rise to the memory of these two gentlemen who lost their lives," the mayor told reporters. "Let's do them honor by standing with them and carrying on their legacy of standing up to hate and bigotry and violence."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/trump-condemns-fatal-stabbing-good-samaritans-portland-47707989

Also of interest is the female's telling of events...

Mangum told news station KPTV that she and her 17-year-old friend were riding the train when Christian started yelling at them. She said her friend is Muslim, but she's not.

"He told us to go back to Saudi Arabia, and he told us we shouldn't be here, to get out of his country," Mangum said. "He was just telling us that we basically weren't anything and that we should kill ourselves."

The teens moved toward the back of the train, preparing to get off at the next stop.

"And then we turned around while they were fighting, and he just started stabbing people, and it was just blood everywhere, and we just started running for our lives," Mangum said.

So when the girls moved away from the bigot, there was no physical threat made and he did not follow the girls to the back of the train. There was no physical fight until AFTER the girls were separated and at a safe distance. Interesting. So the two who got stabbed, in effect, became the aggressors because there was no longer a threat to the girls. There was no reason at all to continue, and especially no reason to escalate it to the "fight" the girls described seeing from the back of the train.

redred
05-30-2017, 02:33 PM
maybe they stopped him following them or stood in the way :shrug:

RBP
05-30-2017, 02:36 PM
maybe they stopped him following them or stood in the way :shrug:

As far as I can tell, the only physical threat was to the "Samaritans" who got stabbed. If you have a source that says otherwise, please post it.

The girls certainly did not say that he was physically threatening them.

redred
05-30-2017, 03:05 PM
Well since we were not there neither of us will know, as we're both guessing let's have an E beer :lol: