PDA

View Full Version : NSA contractor accused of leaking top secret report on Russian hacking efforts

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2017, 10:05 AM
By Samuel Chamberlain, FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/Gp0BvGS.jpg

A federal contractor was arrested over the weekend and accused of leaking a classified report containing "Top Secret level" information on Russian hacking efforts during the 2016 presidential election.

Reality Leigh Winner, 25, appeared in U.S. District Court in Augusta, Ga., to face one charge of removing classified material from a government facility and mailing it to a news outlet, the Justice Department said Monday.

http://i.imgur.com/oFAokgS.jpg

Winner's arrest was announced shortly after the Intercept website published a story detailing how Russian hackers attacked at least one U.S. voting software supplier and sent so-called "spear-phishing" emails to more than 100 local election officials at the end of October or beginning of November.

The Justice Department did not specify that Winner was being charged in connection with the Intercept's report. However, the site noted that the National Security Agency (NSA) report cited in its story was dated May 5 of this year. An affidavit supporting Winner's arrest also said that the report was dated "on or about" May 5.

The Intercept contacted the NSA and the national intelligence director's office about the document and both agencies asked that it not be published. U.S. intelligence officials then asked The Intercept to redact certain sections. The Intercept said some material was withheld at U.S. intelligence agencies' request because it wasn't "clearly in the public interest."

The report said Russian military intelligence "executed cyber espionage operations against a named U.S. company in August 2016 evidently to obtain information on elections-related software and hardware solutions, according to information that became available in April 2017."

The hackers are believed to have then used data from that operation to create a new email account to launch a spear-phishing campaign targeting U.S. local government organizations, the document said. "Lastly, the actors send test emails to two non-existent accounts ostensibly associated with absentee balloting, presumably with the purpose of creating those accounts to mimic legitimate services."

The document did not name any state.

The information in the leaked document seems to go further than the U.S. intelligence agencies' January assessment of the hacking that occurred.

The Washington Examiner reported that Winner worked for Pluribus International Corporation and was assigned to a U.S. government facility in Georgia. She had held a top-secret classified security clearance since being hired this past February. The affidavit sworn by FBI agent Justin Garrick said that she had previously served in the Air Force and held a top-secret security clearance.

Late Monday, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange tweeted his support for Winner.

http://i.imgur.com/mLvjl5o.jpg

Winner's attorney, Titus Thomas Nichols, declined to confirm whether she is accused of leaking the NSA report received by The Intercept. He also declined to name the federal agency for which Winner worked.

"My client has no (criminal) history, so it's not as if she has a pattern of having done anything like this before," Nichols told the Associated Press in a phone interview Monday. "She is a very good person. All this craziness has happened all of a sudden."

Garrick said in his affidavit that the government was notified of the leaked report by the news outlet that received it. He said the agency that housed the report determined only six employees had made physical copies. Winner was one of them. Garrick said investigators found Winner had exchanged email with the news outlet using her work computer.

Garrick's affidavit said he interviewed Winner at her home Saturday and she "admitted intentionally identifying and printing the classified intelligence reporting at issue" and mailing it to the news outlet.

Asked if Winner had confessed, Nichols said, "If there is a confession, the government has not shown it to me."

House Oversight Committee Chairman Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, praised the arrest in an appearance on Fox News' "The Story with Martha MacCallum."

"When you have classified information, you cannot put that out there just because you think it would be a good idea," Chaffetz said. "I want people in handcuffs and I want to see people behind bars."

Chaffetz also criticized federal agencies for failing to protect sensitive information after a series of high-profile leaks.

"They have hundreds of thousands of people that have security clearances," Chaffetz said. "There are supposed to be safeguards in there ... But how many times do we have to see this story happen? They obviously don’t have the safeguards."

deebakes
06-06-2017, 11:44 AM
:rip:

lost in melb.
06-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Yeah

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2017, 03:11 PM
By Brooke Singman - FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/jF6ZEnO.jpg

The alleged leaker accused of feeding a classified report to an online news site has a colorful history on social media that lays bare her political leanings as an environmentalist who wanted to "resist" President Trump.

Reality Winner, 25, is a contractor with Pluribus International Corporation assigned to a federal facility in Georgia, where she allegedly leaked a classified intelligence report containing “Top Secret Level” information. The report, according to the Department of Justice, contained classified defense information from an intelligence community agency.

While the DOJ did not say which site published the information, the charges were announced just as The Intercept published details of a National Security Agency report on Russian hacking efforts during the 2016 presidential election.

According to the Justice Department, Winner admitted to printing a classified intelligence document despite not having a “need to know,” and with knowledge the report was classified. Winner further admitted removing the report from her office space and mailing it to the news outlet, according to the criminal complaint.

Why go through all the trouble and risk?

The Justice Department does not speak to motivation, but Winner’s social media pages indicate she was a passionate environmentalist who shared Bernie Sanders material online and held some anti-Trump views. She shared numerous articles and comments against the Dakota Access and Keystone XL pipelines (which Trump has moved to revive) on her Facebook page, even posting a letter she sent to the office of Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga.

“Repeat after me: In the United States of America, in the year 2017, access to clean, fresh water is not a right, but a privilege based off of one’s socio-economic status,” Winner wrote in a Facebook posting about four months ago.

http://i.imgur.com/WjsHXyN.jpg

Winner also posted using the hashtag #F---ingWall, in an entry about Trump “silencing” the Environment Protection Agency.

Winner also posted in February, before Trump revived construction on the Dakota Access Pipeline: “You have got to be s---ting me right now. No one has called? The White House shut down their phone lines. There have been protests for months, at both the drilling site and outside the White House. I’m losing my mind. If you voted for this piece of s---, explain this. He’s lying. He’s blatantly lying and the second largest supply of freshwater in the country is now at risk. #NoDAPL #NeverMyPresident #Resist.”

And in one telling post before the general election, she wrote, "On a positive note, this Tuesday when we become the United States of the Russian Federation, Olympic lifting will be the national sport."

http://i.imgur.com/0rUtSKB.jpg

As for non-political interests, her social accounts also suggest she's a workout buff and donates to veterans' and children's charities.

The Justice Department did not specify whether Winner is being charged in connection with the Intercept’s report, but the site noted the NSA report cited in its story was dated May 5 of this year -- the affidavit released by the DOJ supporting Winner’s arrest also said the report was dated “on or about” May 5.

“Exceptional law enforcement efforts allowed us to quickly identify and arrest the defendant,” Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said on Monday. “Releasing classified material without authorization threatens our nation’s security and undermines public faith in government.”

Rosenstein added: “People who are trusted with classified information and pledge to protect it must be held accountable when they violate that obligation.”

Winner has held a top secret clearance during her employment at Pluribus International Corporation. She has been employed at the facility since mid-February.

Late Monday night, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange tweeted his support for Winner.

“Alleged NSA whistle-blower Reality Leigh winner must be supported. She is a young woman accused of courage in trying to help us know,” Assange posted on Twitter.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-09-2017, 10:23 AM
BY Christopher Brennan - New York Daily News

http://i.imgur.com/F64Rwd9.jpg

NSA leaker Reality Winner, accused of disclosing top secret information about Russian hacking, has been ordered to remain in jail after prosecutors said she wanted to burn down the White House and flee to Afghanistan.

The 25-year-old contractor based in Georgia faces federal Espionage Act charges for allegedly leaking a May 5 National Security Agency report with an account of Moscow's military cyberattacks on a voting software company and local government officials in the leadup to the 2016 election.

Winner’s lawyer Titus Thomas Nichols had told the Daily News that his client, whose alleged leak was published by The Intercept on Monday, should be released because she is not likely to reoffend and has no criminal record.

But a judge in Augusta, Ga., denied her request, after concerns from prosecutors about her online statements and a possible flight risk.

Prosecutors said that a notebook taken from the Air Force veteran’s home included Winner writing “I want to burn the White House down,” according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

They also said that she wanted to travel to Afghanistan and wrote jokingly about finding somewhere in Kurdistan, though there was no contention that she had sympathy for any extremist groups.

U.S. assistant attorney Jennifer Solari said that Winner may also have more information to leak if released.

"We don’t know how much more she knows or how much she remembers," she said, adding that Winner had put a thumb drive in a top-secret computer before she left the Air Force at the end of last year.

It is unknown what happened to the thumb drive.

"Because my client is a millennial and she knows how to use technology, that’s somehow proof of evil intent,” Nichols said Thursday after his client was denied bail.

“The government is scraping and clawing to build a mountain out of a molehill.”

Before her daughter was denied bail, her mother Billie Winner-Davis said "they're going to try to make an example out of her because of the political climate right now."

Winner-Davis told the Daily News she was stunned when she learned of the charges, adding that her daughter had voiced disagreement with President Trump but “never anything raging at all.”

She added that Winner, though she had not served overseas, spoke the Afghan languages Pashto and Dari.

The government has said that the alleged leaker, who they claimed said she would play the "pretty, white and cute" card during a jailhouse phone call, also admitted to her crime.

Winner, however, has pleaded not guilty. She faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted, though prosecutors said they are also likely to add to the indictment.

DemonGeminiX
06-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Treason is a crime against the Republic that carries a maximum penalty of death. It's time that an example is set.

lost in melb.
06-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Treason is a crime against the Republic that carries a maximum penalty of death. It's time that an example is set.

I was going to make a joke about Russia, but I won't :nana:

DemonGeminiX
06-10-2017, 01:32 AM
:nono:

You do not make jokes about Russia. Mother Russia makes jokes about you.