PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cosby's future is in the hands of the jury as defense, prosecution rest their cases

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2017, 10:45 AM
By Sasha Savitsky, FOX 411 and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/RShEhum.jpg

Bill Cosby's lawyer called accuser Andrea Constand "a liar" during his nearly two-hour long closing argument in the comedian's sexual assault trial Monday. The prosecution countered that claim in a two-hour-plus closing argument of his own that followed.

Now, it's up to the jury. They spent 4 hours deliberating before being sent back to the hotel to continue Tuesday. The star could spend the rest of his life behind bars if convicted.

Cosby's attorney Brian McMonagle argued that Constand and Cosby had a year-long consensual relationship. He admitted Cosby failed his wife Camille by having an extramarital affair, but said his client is being prosecuted now because of a media firestorm after excerpts from his lurid deposition became public.

McMonagle pointed at Cosby's wife of 53 years several times during his closing statements to emphasize his points. This is the first time Camille Cosby joined her husband in court since the start of his sexual assault trial last week.

Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele then addressed the jury, calling the sexual assault trial a "very straightforward case."

"He assaulted her. Drugging somebody and putting them in position is not romantic, it’s criminal," Steele told the court.

Cosby's defense team called just one witness on Monday and then promptly rested its case. Cosby’s team called up the detective who led the 2005 investigation into allegations Cosby drugged and violated Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia home.

Detective Richard Schaffer was one of 12 witnesses who testified during the five-day prosecution case.

Cosby attorneys said they would not call any character witnesses. Then, Judge Steven O'Neill shot down the defense's bid to call a second witness, a woman who worked with Constand at Cosby's alma mater, Temple University.

The defense rested their case after questioning Schaffer for approximately four minutes.

The prosecution rested its case Friday after five swift days of testimony in the case that could send the 79-year-old Cosby to prison for the rest of his life.

Accuser Constand, 44, has told her side of the story. The jury also heard Cosby's version in the form of his police statement and his lurid deposition in her 2005 lawsuit.

The defense's main goal this past week has been to attack the credibility of Constand and another accuser who was called to the stand, William Morris assistant Kelly Johnson.

Constand filed a police complaint in January 2005 after moving back home to the Toronto area, and then sued Cosby in March 2005 when the local prosecutor decided not to charge him.

Cosby's testimony in her civil case shows just how hard a witness he would have been to control. His answers, like his comedy routines, meandered from point to point and veered toward stream of consciousness.

And he used jarring language to describe his sexual encounters with various young women. He spoke in the deposition of "the penile entrance" and "digital penetration." And he displayed hints of arrogance.

"One of the greatest storytellers in the world and I'm failing," Cosby said when asked to repeat an answer in the deposition.

In his final arguments, Steele reminded jurors about a telephone conversation in which Cosby apologized to Constand's mother and described himself as a "sick man."

PorkChopSandwiches
06-13-2017, 04:21 PM
that was quick

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Cosby's side only called one witness and he himself didn't testify.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-13-2017, 04:33 PM
He's going down

Muddy
06-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Is that his mom beside him?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2017, 04:36 PM
He's going down

I'd vote for 'not guilty' if I was on the jury.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-13-2017, 04:55 PM
Why? Because he's Bill Cosby?

When a case moves this quick, its not good for the defendant

Muddy
06-13-2017, 05:00 PM
Id listen to the evidence and vote accordingly.

DemonGeminiX
06-13-2017, 06:51 PM
Why? Because he's Bill Cosby?

Lance likes Jello.

RBP
06-14-2017, 04:05 AM
He's going down

That's what she said.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-15-2017, 04:51 PM
FOX 411 and The Associted Press

http://i.imgur.com/Wq5xkTx.jpg

The jury for the Bill Cosby sexual assault case told the judge they were deadlocked after 30 hours of deliberations.

The jury reported to Judge Steven O'Neill on Thursday morning they could not reach a unanimous verdict regarding whether or not Cosby sexually assaulted Andrea Constand.

"We cannot come to a unanimous consensus in any of the counts," the jurors told the judge.

The judge, who has praised the group for their diligence, told them to give it another go, and he sent them back into the jury room for further deliberations.

"It's too early for that," the judge told them.

The defense requested a mistrial, which the judge denied.

The 79-year-old star is charged with three counts of felony aggravated indecent assault. The charges each carry a standard sentence range of five to 10 years in prison, but legal experts say the sentence for each count should run concurrently under Pennsylvania law since they all cover the same incident and conduct. That means the once-celebrated actor is facing up to 10 years behind bars.

During the six-day trial, the jury heard Constand describe a 2004 sexual encounter with Cosby at his Philadelphia home.

Defense attorney Brian McMonagle told the jury during his closing statements that Cosby and Constand were lovers who had enjoyed secret "romantic interludes," insisting the 2004 encounter was consensual. McMonagle said that while the comedian had been unfaithful to his wife, he didn't commit a crime.

Constand testified on June 6th that she shot down the actor's casual advances twice before she found herself paralyzed and unable to fight him off the night she took pills that he convinced her were safe herbal supplements.

"In my head, I was trying to get my hands to move or my legs to move, but I was frozen," Constand, a former employee of the basketball program at Temple University, Cosby's alma mater, said during their courtroom confrontation. "I wasn't able to fight in any way. I wanted it to stop."

The jury returned to the courtroom six times to ask questions regarding the testimony they had heard. The judge lauded the jury on Wednesday night.

"This is an incredible jury that has just acted with incredible dignity and fidelity," O'Neill said. "I don't have any higher praise. You have taken your task so seriously."

For now, Cosby fate remains unclear.

The comedian, who starred as Dr. Cliff Huxtable on "The Cosby Show" from 1984 to 1992, earned a reputation as “America's Dad.” That reputation was slowly torn to pieces as dozens of women came forward, beginning in 2014, and accused him of drugging them, assaulting them or both. Their stories were all eerily similar and eventually led to the star being ostracized by Hollywood.

Before his downfall, Cosby was long-known as for his success as a comedian and actor. He won five Grammy Awards after breaking into the standup scene in ‘60s. He then paralleled that success on TV, winning three consecutive Emmy Awards from 1966 to 1968 for his role on “I Spy.” The show elevated him to a new level of stardom and led to the eventual creation of his titular sitcom, “The Cosby Show.” In the 1998, he became known to a new generation as the host of “Kids Say the Darndest Things.”

He was also once praised as a philanthropist, and received more than 50 honorary degrees from universities across the country. Cosby's legacy of giving was topped by a $20 million gift to Spelman College in 1988 and including, among many other donations, $3 million to the Morehouse School of Medicine and $1 million in 2004 to the U.S. National Slavery Museum in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

Those degrees were revoked one-by-one as more women spoke out against him.

Cosby said in an interview ahead of the trial that he was looking forward to being found innocent and he wanted to be “remembered as being the guy that they give back all the things that they rescinded.”

Cosby’s wife, Camille, has stood by him, appearing in court on day six of his trial. His children have also supported him, with daughters Ensa and Erinn speaking out about the allegations against their dad.

deebakes
06-21-2017, 11:23 AM
pudding pops for everyone! :woot: