PDA

View Full Version : Judge finds Michelle Carter guilty of manslaughter in texting suicide case

RBP
06-16-2017, 06:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/aPw2S2g.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/us/michelle-carter-texting-case/index.html

(CNN)In a case that hinged largely on a teenage couple's intimate text messages, Michelle Carter was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter Friday in the 2014 death of her boyfriend, who poisoned himself by inhaling carbon monoxide in his pickup truck, a Massachusetts judge ruled.

Carter's own words -- preserved in hundreds of text messages presented as evidence over six days of testimony -- helped seal her conviction in the death of 18-year-old Conrad Roy III, Bristol County Juvenile Court Judge Lawrence Moniz said during a 15-minute explanation of his rationale.

"She admits in ... texts that she did nothing: She did not call the police or Mr. Roy's family" after hearing his last breaths during a phone call, Moniz said. "And finally, she did not issue a simple additional instruction: Get out of the truck."

Carter, 20, cried silently as Moniz spoke. She stood to receive the ruling, which could set legal precedent for whether it's a crime to tell someone to commit suicide.

'There are no winners here'

Prosecutors had argued that Carter sent Roy numerous text messages urging him to commit suicide, listened over the phone as he suffocated, and failed to alert authorities or his family that he'd died. The judge agreed.

"This court has found that Carter's actions and failure to act where it was her self-created duty to Roy since she put him in that toxic environment constituted reckless conduct," the judge said. "The court finds that the conduct caused the death of Mr. Roy."

With Carter standing, Moniz said, "This court, having reviewed the evidence, finds you guilty on the indictment with involuntary manslaughter."

Roy's relatives, who sat near Carter in the front row of Moniz's courtroom, wept as the judge ticked through the steps Roy took to end his life, as well as Carter's complicity. Sitting opposite them, Carter's family members also sobbed.
"Although we are very pleased with the verdict, in reality there are no winners here," prosecutor Katie Rayburn told reporters later.

"Two families had been torn apart and will be affected by this for years to come. We hope verdict will bring some closure... It's been an extremely emotionally draining process for everyone involved."

Click the link to read more...

Muddy
06-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Evil bitch..

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Karma's a bitch

RBP
06-16-2017, 07:01 PM
Lance, I couldn't find the original story, but I am sure it's here if you want to combine as a follow-up.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2017, 07:04 PM
No, this is fine, the original story was quite awhile ago. Unless you want it added to the original?

RBP
06-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Nah, it's okay, this tells the story anyway.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2017, 04:00 PM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/suFFxRk.jpg

The aunt of Michelle Carter's victim says the Massachusetts woman sentenced to prison in connection with his suicide “has a damaged moral core.”

Kim Bozzi spoke out on national TV amid reports Roy’s mother had filed a wrongful death suit against Carter.

Lynn Roy, mother of Conrad Roy III, is seeking $4.2 million in lost future wages for her son who was 18 when he died of carbon monoxide poisoning after locking himself in his truck in 2014.

The then-17-year-old Carter initially tried to talk Roy out of killing himself, but later urged him to do it through dozens of text messages. Roy was her boyfriend at the time.

A judge found Carter guilty of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced her Thursday to 15 months in jail. She remains free, pending an appeal.

"I don't think that she helped him kill himself," Bozzi,told ABC News' "20/20" in an interview that aired Friday. "I think she forced him to kill himself. I think she was responsible for his death."

Bozzi said she read the text about Carter telling her nephew to get back in the truck.

“My heart broke because, unfortunately, he did,” she told “20/20.”

She said the most unbelievable part was how Carter acted after the fact.

“She was there, sitting on the phone, talking to him while he was taking his last breath,” Bozzi told the program.

"Then she texted my niece a couple hours later, 'Hey, do you know where your brother is?' Then she texted his mom the next day, 'Oh, hey, have you heard from Conrad?' Knowing all along," she said.

Bozzi told “20/20” she wants people to know her nephew wasn’t a troubled young man or suicidal.

“He did struggle,” she said. “He did have depression, he did have social anxiety, and a lot of people do. A lot of boys do. A lot of people don't like to admit it when you have that, because you think it's a sign of weakness, so you don't like to share it. But it's okay."

"Mental illness needs to be further researched and treated," she told “20/20”. "As far as violence against men, I think is something that gets swept under the rug. I think women bully just as much."

Carter’s lawyer argued that Roy was determined to take his own life and that Carter didn't cause his death.

The lawyer Joseph Cataldo told “20/20” Carter did feel remorse for what had happened and was a changed person, MassLive reported.

He told the news site Friday that the lawsuit brought by Roy’s mother was “a massive stretch” and that the family should have taken a life insurance policy on his life if they wanted financial compensation.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Lynn Roy, mother of Conrad Roy III, is seeking $4.2 million in lost future wages for her son who was 18 when he died of carbon monoxide poisoning after locking himself in his truck in 2014.

----------------

Bozzi told “20/20” she wants people to know her nephew wasn’t a troubled young man or suicidal.

:rolleyes:

RBP
08-07-2017, 04:21 PM
I am not a fan of civil suits in criminal matters.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2017, 04:24 PM
I am not a fan of civil suits in criminal matters.

Even though they always say that it's "not about the money", it's always about the money. Plus, where the fuck did the mother come up with that $4.2 million in los wages figure? And hwat gives her the right to collect it? Was her kid going to live with her the rest of his life and support her? :-s Look, soory lady that your kid offed himself, but in no way, shape, or form are you entitled to these theoretical lost wages.

And as for the comment by the aunt, fuck yes he was troubled and/or suicidal. No sane person in their right mind would kill themselves just because their girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/acquaintance told them to do it.

Hal-9000
08-07-2017, 04:39 PM
This case was on the Sword and Scale podcast. Not to take anything away from it, but there is worse story about a 52 year old asswipe who posed as a young female nurse online and encouraged two people to kill themselves. He just about got one young girl to do it on video.

These kinds of people have no moral fiber and are no different than other people that commit homicide.