PDA

View Full Version : Water-Powered Jet Pack Lets Users 'Fly'

Berto
06-30-2011, 08:10 AM
From Sky news app

Adrenaline junkies who have always fancied themselves as James Bond can now mimic their hero by flying through the air wearing a water-powered jet pack.
The new invention uses a powerful pump to blast users up to 28ft above a sea or lake wearing a contraption that looks similar to the one sported by Sean Connery in Thunderball.

"We decided at the outset that jet packs are not practical for commuting and should primarily designed for recreation," Jetpack Adventures, the company responsible, explains on its website.

"Intuitive flight controls, inherent stability, and an effective training system means that most student pilots can learn to fly solo within a few minutes of in-water instruction."

A 200-horsepower engine in a 10ft-long 'boat' similar to a jetski pumps water to the pack through a flexible hose tether.

The Jetlev R200 delivers 500lb-ft thrust of high-volume, low-pressure water to directional nozzles on the pack that weighs 30lbs.

'Fly-by-wire' flight controls allow individuals to take off, make soft turns, hover and land.

During training, students receive a safety briefing, are fitted with a helmet and personal flotation device and are harnessed to the jet pack.

Once on the water, students first experience flying with a certified instructor operating the vehicle via remote control.

As the participant becomes more proficient, they are allowed to gain more flight control.

"It's been my dream, since I was a kid, to fly," said user Angie McGregor.

"I feel like a spy woman out of a James Bond film."

The jet pack's engine has a 100-litre fuel tank which lets the user cruise for three hours or blast at full throttle for two hours.

The zany contraption can be rented for $250 (£156) for a half-hour 'flight' or for adrenaline-junkies flush with funds it can bought outright for $99,500 (£62,700).

How much do you want a shot of this?
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/S5gRnBvq05I/AAAAAAAACdQ/-E0hOkv4A3w/Jetlev-water-Flyer-1-.jpg

AntZ
06-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Looks great! As long as you don't swing your legs or arms under the water nozzles, most people won't like the sight of their flesh flying off the bone! [-(

Hal-9000
06-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Looks great! As long as you don't swing your legs or arms under the water nozzles, most people won't like the sight of their flesh flying off the bone! [-(

that would be my question..what kind of pressure is coming out to propel a 180lb guy up?

Berto
06-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Shitloads lol

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2011, 10:31 PM

It grows back :hand:

Muddy
06-30-2011, 10:57 PM

You think it's really that much pressure?

redred
07-01-2011, 12:57 PM
You think it's really that much pressure?

this much?

The Jetlev R200 delivers 500lb-ft thrust of high-volume, low-pressure water to directional nozzles on the pack that weighs 30lbs.

Muddy
07-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Shirley they couldn't get authorization to sell something that strips the skin from peoples legs as a water fun device.

Teh One Who Knocks
It says in the story that it's high volume and low pressure

Teh One Who Knocks
Shirley they couldn't get authorization to sell something that strips the skin from peoples legs as a water fun device.

They should use the pump that's hooked up to our waterjet :shifty:

Muddy
07-01-2011, 01:03 PM

You could C&C some steel as you took a pleasure ride.. :lol:

Berto
07-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Looking at the videos of this and the photos, it looks like the only way you could strip the skin of your legs is by doing a sideways splitz, it looks a lot of fun, you are tethered to a pump which pulls along behind you so you are restricted to how high you go but it can go pretty fast, i saw it on the Gadget Show and they said they were developing it for sea rescue, if I needed to get rescued at sea and someone approached on one of those I think you would be more at risk from drowning than before.
As far as fun goes, HELL YEH I want a shot.:jawdrop:

AntZ
07-01-2011, 02:24 PM
It says in the story that it's high volume and low pressure

That's actually deceiving! They consider under a 1,000PSI to be "low pressure". Coin-op car washes are generally 1,500psi - 2,500psi with a water flow of 3 - 4.5 gallons per minute. That pressure and flow will easily slice through your skin at the nozzle! A claim that the "low pressure" isn't as dangerous as high pressure is bogus! Low pressure, high flow machines are used to remove concrete to expose re-bar. You can put a stubby sweeper nozzle on your water hose and it will take the skin off your hand, and it's "low pressure". Look at clips of protesters hit with fire hoses, that too is low pressure/high flow. There is most definitely a danger with those nozzles, but if they highlight that, no one will trust their new toy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHXve23fCZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhD4l_HGcQ

Muddy
07-01-2011, 02:32 PM
That's actually deceiving! They consider under a 1,000PSI to be "low pressure". Coin-op car washes are generally 1,500psi - 2,500psi with a water flow of 3 - 4.5 gallons per minute. That pressure and flow will easily slice through your skin at the nozzle! A claim that the "low pressure" isn't as dangerous as high pressure is bogus! Low pressure, high flow machines are used to remove concrete to expose re-bar. You can put a stubby sweeper nozzle on your water hose and it will take the skin off your hand, and it's "low pressure". Look at clips of protesters hit with fire hoses, that too is low pressure/high flow. There is most definitely a danger with those nozzles, but if they highlight that, no one will trust their new toy!

Dont be such a pussy, Antz... *pushes out of line* :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-01-2011, 02:40 PM

http://i.imgur.com/uHxVh.gif

Berto
07-01-2011, 06:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHXve23fCZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhD4l_HGcQ

I bet you are scared of the teacups at the fair/carnival lol

Acid Trip
07-01-2011, 06:35 PM
I've jumped out of perfectly good airplanes so why not risk losing a little skin for the chance of being Rocketman for a few minutes.

Berto
07-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Why jump out of perfectly good plane. A burning one yep jump but a good one are you mental 

Acid Trip
07-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Why jump out of perfectly good plane. A burning one yep jump but a good one are you mental 

It's called Skydiving and it is a lot of fun.

Hal-9000
07-01-2011, 08:18 PM
if it's less PSI than my Bidget, I'd try this jet pack thing

Berto
07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Dont be such a pussy, Antz... *pushes out of line* :dance:

Yes you can get hurt crossing the road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe6uZDOH3SA

Specially him:fail:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-08-2011, 05:07 PM
looks fun

AntZ
07-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Yes you could, AND DON'T CALL ME SHIRLEY!

Goofy
07-08-2011, 05:10 PM

You could C&C some steel as you took a pleasure ride.. :lol:

He could make you a pool ball jig at the same time :tup: :lol:

Muddy
07-08-2011, 05:39 PM
He could make you a pool ball jig at the same time :tup: :lol:

I aint holdin' my breath on that... :razz:

Hal-9000
07-08-2011, 05:43 PM
pool ball jig?

wtf and why???? :lol: I gotta know

Muddy
07-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I cant tell you that, Hal... You need to give up some pussy first...

Goofy
07-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I just remember MG asking Lance to make him one, cant remember the 'why' :lol:

Hal-9000
07-08-2011, 05:47 PM
I have a pool table in my basement and if I'm getting this....you want a hole drilled in a pool ball Muddy?

oh do tell why :lol: c'mon...

Hal-9000
07-08-2011, 05:57 PM
:shock:

part of a sex toy????

holy, that's gonna leave a mark :face: