PDA

View Full Version : United Nations and World Health Organisation call for drugs to be decriminalised

Godfather
07-05-2017, 05:50 AM
The United Nations and World Health Organisation have issued a call for drugs to be decriminalised.

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2016/12/12/18/heroin-needles-getty.jpg

Buried in a joint release on ending healthcare discrimination, the organisations called for the “reviewing and repealing punitive laws that have been proven to have negative health outcomes” by member states.

Among a number of measures, this included “drug use or possession of drugs for personal use”.

While the WHO has previously called for drugs to be decriminalised in the context of HIV reduction, the UN has limited its calls to health- and evidence-based solutions to drug abuse.

Last year, nations meeting at the UN General Assembly Special Session on drugs maintained a criminal approach to narcotics, despite strong concerns from a number of countries.

But last month, on the International Day Against Drug Abuse, UN Secretary General António Guterres called for tackling the problem through “prevention and treatment,” adhering to human rights.

He said: “Despite the risks and challenges inherent in tackling this global problem, I hope and believe we are on the right path, and that together we can implement a coordinated, balanced and comprehensive approach that leads to sustainable solutions.

“I know from personal experience how an approach based on prevention and treatment can yield positive results.”

Mr Guterres was Prime Minister of Portugal when the country launched its landmark drug decriminalisation programme, which also introduced greater resources for drug prevention and treatment projects.

Portugal saw its drug fatalities fall to one of the lowest in Europe and also reduced the prevalence of HIV among injectors.
World's 10 deadliest street drugs

But the illegal drugs trade is a complex international issue. Executive Director of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, Yury Fedotov, used his statement for the day to highlight the challenges posed by narcotics.

“The nexus between drugs, crime and terrorism and reveals a shifting pattern of relationships,” he said.

“As new threats appear, including spreading methamphetamine and new psychoactive substances, old ones continue to thrive. Business models are evolving too, with cybercrime and the darknet increasingly playing a role.”

RBP
07-05-2017, 06:00 AM
And yet supply side interdiction has been an abject failure. I support harm reduction models, but we also can't create a larger problem by creating unrestricted demand.

Godfather
07-05-2017, 08:08 AM
I'd be curious to read a book on countries that have gone the route of total decriminalization. The headlines I've seen look so positive, and I'm convinced the war on drugs has been one of our greatest policy failures, but there must be some huge downsides and hurdles to consider.

We've started harm prevention here (safe injection sites, free needles, etc), but the fentanyl crisis has basically been the apocalypse among hard core users so I'm not sure how you measure the two in conjunction right now.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-05-2017, 03:21 PM
There is no reason to incarcerate people for drugs, it makes 0 difference and costs to much. Go ahead and chase down the suppliers, if anything they should provide rehab to those who want it

DemonGeminiX
07-05-2017, 04:08 PM
There is no reason to incarcerate people for drugs, it makes 0 difference and costs to much. Go ahead and chase down the suppliers, if anything they should provide rehab to those who want it

Or we could just kill them all. :maniac:

RBP
07-05-2017, 05:31 PM
There is no reason to incarcerate people for drug use only, it makes 0 difference and costs to much. Go ahead and chase down the suppliers, if anything they should provide rehab to those who want it

:ftfy:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-05-2017, 05:48 PM
Fixed it how, that's what I said :slap: Whats the difference

RBP
07-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Fixed it how, that's what I said :slap: Whats the difference

There's an awful lot of users who deal just enough to use. That's a tougher line to determine. Or who commit petty crime as a survival mode, as do the homeless and severely mentally ill. I don't disagree with you, it's just not as simple "don't jail people for drugs".

I am a fan of diversion courts to sort those things out.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Committing others crimes for drugs already has a penalty. I agree that people deal in order to offset the cost, but those people aren't who I was referring too. I mean the importers and up

RBP
07-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Committing others crimes for drugs already has a penalty. I agree that people deal in order to offset the cost, but those people aren't who I was referring too. I mean the importers and up

We're on the same on page basic users at the bottom and the cartels at the top, it's that massive grey area in between that gets messy.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-05-2017, 06:21 PM
yeah

PorkChopSandwiches
07-05-2017, 06:25 PM
If a line must be drawn I would say it should be at the border and beyond

Teh One Who Knocks
07-05-2017, 06:29 PM
The only reason there are dealers and producers is because there are consumers, simple supply and demand. Unless you can do something to stop the demand, there will always be someone there to supply it.

Muddy
07-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Good thing no one listens to the U.N.

RBP
07-05-2017, 06:36 PM
The only reason there are dealers and producers is because there are consumers, simple supply and demand. Unless you can do something to stop the demand, there will always be someone there to supply it.

Except that dealers create consumers as well to increase demand... like the CIA creating the crack epidemic. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-05-2017, 06:51 PM
Except that dealers create consumers as well to increase demand... like the CIA creating the crack epidemic. :lol:

They only create consumers that lean towards being one already. Granted, they are always trying to hook more people, but there are some people like myself, where a dealer could give me a free kilo of cocaine and I still wouldn't have any desire to try it.

RBP
07-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Understood. Currently, people move from prescription opioids to heroin because it's readily available and cheap. Markets can be created.

I will refrain from my rant about Afghanistan....

deebakes
07-05-2017, 11:41 PM
:rip: red