PDA

View Full Version : Former AG Holder hears 'echoes' of Watergate; warns audience not to 'curl up' in fetal position

Teh One Who Knocks
07-13-2017, 10:34 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/guwYVNk.jpg

Eric Holder, the former attorney general under President Obama, reportedly told an audience of liberal lawyers in San Francisco that he hears “disturbing echoes’ of Watergate in current White House issues, and told the crowd of mostly liberal lawyers to continue to fight.

“You can’t just curl up in a fetal position,” Holder told the 800 lawyers at a hotel, The San Francisco Chronicle reported. He said there is “fighting to be done, there are lawsuits to be brought…you can never underestimate the power of the American people.”

The event was a fundraiser for Legal Aid At Work, a non-profit that represents low-income workers in California. The director, Joan Graff, told the paper that Holder was selected as the keynote speaker because the group has “grave concerns” about the rule of law with President Trump and Attorney General Jeff Sessions in power.

This is not the first time that Holder commented on the current political climate that includes investigations into allegations that Russia colluded with officials from the Trump campaign.

Shortly after Trump announced his decision to fire FBI Director James Comey, Holder sent out a tweet at 3:17 a.m.: “To the career men & women at DOJ/FBI: your actions and integrity will be unfairly questioned. Be prepared, be strong. Duty. Honor. Country.”

Last month, Yahoo News reported that Holder was considering a 2020 presidential run. The report said that Holder had intentions of becoming “more visible”

"Up to now, I have been more behind-the-scenes,” Holder told Yahoo News. “But that’s about to change. I have a certain status as the former attorney general. … So I want to use whatever skills I have, whatever notoriety I have, to be effective in opposing things that are, at the end of the day, just bad for the country.”

Holder gave the Yahoo interview shortly after helping to promote a new California bill that could extend ‘sanctuary’ policies toward illegal immigrants statewide.

Godfather
07-14-2017, 02:19 AM
Someone on a podcast made a scary point the other day.... whether Trump or the investigators at the FBI/DOJ are right, if they turn on each other and start hiding shit from one another, what kind of lasting affect could that have on future administrations?

I don't know much about the internal workings of these bodies, but just with my laypersons' understanding, it sounded like a scary path to go down.

DemonGeminiX
07-14-2017, 03:24 AM
Eric Holder needs to shut the fuck up. That prick belongs in jail over the Fast and Furious scandal.

Godfather
07-14-2017, 07:34 AM
The fast and furious scandal? That sounds fun, tell me more

RBP
07-14-2017, 07:40 AM

Basically, US government-backed gun runners who killed a border patrol agent.

RBP
07-14-2017, 07:48 AM
Holder was also the revivalist of "disparate impact". It's an old OFCCP (office of federal contract compliance programs) term used for affirmative action.

The theory goes that if you can demonstrate that a hiring process has a disparate impact on a minority group (read: on those group who have "historically" been discriminated against) then the hiring process is discriminatory, regardless of whether there is any direct evidence of discrimination or improper practices. Holder would apply that standard to everything. For example, if black arrests are disproportionate to black census data, the police are discriminatory. Not in theory, legally. If more blacks are killed by police. If less blacks are given mortgages or leases. It lowers the bar to statistical evidence that shows correlations with no required evidence of causation.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-14-2017, 10:40 AM

"Gunwalking", or "letting guns walk", was a tactic of the Arizona Field Office of the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), which ran a series of sting operations between 2006 and 2011 in the Tucson and Phoenix area where the ATF "purposely allowed licensed firearms dealers to sell weapons to illegal straw buyers, hoping to track the guns to Mexican drug cartel leaders and arrest them". These operations were done under the umbrella of Project Gunrunner, a project intended to stem the flow of firearms into Mexico by interdicting straw purchasers and gun traffickers within the United States. The Jacob Chambers Case began in October 2009 and eventually became known in February 2010 as "Operation Fast and Furious" after agents discovered Chambers and the other suspects under investigation belonged to a car club.

The stated goal of allowing these purchases was to continue to track the firearms as they were transferred to higher-level traffickers and key figures in Mexican cartels, with the expectation that this would lead to their arrests and the dismantling of the cartels. The tactic was questioned during the operations by a number of people, including ATF field agents and cooperating licensed gun dealers. During Operation Fast and Furious, the largest "gunwalking" probe, the ATF monitored the sale of about 2,000 firearms, of which only 710 were recovered as of February 2012. A number of straw purchasers have been arrested and indicted; however, as of October 2011, none of the targeted high-level cartel figures had been arrested.

Guns tracked by the ATF have been found at crime scenes on both sides of the Mexico–United States border, and the scene where United States Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was killed in December 2010. The "gunwalking" operations became public in the aftermath of Terry's murder. Dissenting ATF agents came forward to Congress in response. According to Humberto Benítez Treviño, former Mexican Attorney General and chair of the justice committee in the Chamber of Deputies, related firearms have been found at numerous crime scenes in Mexico where at least 150 Mexican civilians were maimed or killed. Revelations of "gunwalking" led to controversy in both countries, and diplomatic relations were damaged.

As a result of a dispute over the release of Justice Department documents related to the scandal, Attorney General Eric Holder became the first sitting member of the Cabinet of the United States to be held in contempt of Congress on June 28, 2012. Earlier that month, President Barack Obama had invoked executive privilege for the first time in his presidency over the same documents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwalking_scandal

Godfather
07-14-2017, 03:08 PM
Well damn, when is that 'based on a true story' movie coming out :lol:

DemonGeminiX
07-14-2017, 06:55 PM
You have no idea how corrupt the Obama administration was. We're gonna be effected by his bullshit for a long time to come.