PDA

View Full Version : Colorado state senator considers bike tax proposal

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2017, 10:51 AM
by Sarah Stettler - FOX 31 Denver

http://i.imgur.com/jvgyUefl.jpg

DENVER -- A Colorado state senator from Grand Junction is sparking up a debate after suggesting a possible tax on bikes.

The conversation began after lawmakers in Oregon approved a similar tax. According to the Washington Post; in Oregon anyone who buys a bike for 200 or dollars or more now has to pay a new sales tax on top of the cost.

Senator Ray Scott proposed the idea on Facebook, if the plan becomes a reality the money raised would then go towards paying for repairs to Colorado's roads and bridges.

The state says it needs about $9 billion to make infrastructure repairs over the next decade. The tax in Oregon is already expected to raise about $1.5 million a year.

The post has garnered a backlash from many followers.

No word if the proposed idea will become a bill or not.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2017, 10:52 AM
I've been a big proponent of this for years! If you wanna pretend you're Lance Armstrong in your stupid little bike riding suits and take up space on the roads with cars, then you should have to pay. Otherwise, stay on the fucking bike paths.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Ridiculous

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2017, 03:55 PM
In what way is it ridiculous? :-s

PorkChopSandwiches
07-24-2017, 05:19 PM
a super clean, efficient way of transport to be taxed. I have a hard time believing bicycles are causing any damage to the roads

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2017, 05:29 PM
Who cares about damage, they use the roads and impede traffic. These assholes ride right down the fucking middle of the lanes of traffic and don't even attempt to get out of the way to let cars go by. And if you can't give them at least 6 feet of clearance, you aren't supposed to pass them. Bicyclists in this state cause more fucking road rage because they are (for the most part) self-entitled pretentious fucking pricks that think they own the road. Not to mention the fact that they are closing lanes of traffic and turning them into bike lanes, causing even more fucking traffic congestion. And if one of them does do something to you, there's no way to track them down because they don't have license plates like cars do. If they want to ride on the road and pretend they are driving a car and 'saving the world' then pay for a fucking license plate or go ride on the bike paths, there's literally thousands of miles of bike paths in metro Denver.

deebakes
07-25-2017, 02:49 AM
fucking hippies :bong:

Godfather
07-25-2017, 05:43 AM
I've been a big proponent of this for years! If you wanna pretend you're Lance Armstrong in your stupid little bike riding suits and take up space on the roads with cars, then you should have to pay. Otherwise, stay on the fucking bike paths.

Couldn't agree more. Our city has spent a fucking fortune and compromised several key routes by giving up lanes to bikes, including lanes on key bridges into downtown. I'm okay with them pushing policies that cut down cars to an extent, but at some point bikes need to share the cost too.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Couldn't agree more. Our city has spent a fucking fortune and compromised several key routes by giving up lanes to bikes, including lanes on key bridges into downtown. I'm okay with them pushing policies that cut down cars to an extent, but at some point bikes need to share the cost too.

:agreed: