PDA

View Full Version : Big fast-food chains lag rivals in taste

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
By Mary Slosson | Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - McDonald's Corp, Burger King, KFC and Taco Bell are the biggest U.S. fast-food chains, but they lag smaller rivals like In-N-Out Burger and Chick-fil-A when it comes to taste, according to a new survey released on Thursday by Consumer Reports.

"Chains like McDonald's and Taco Bell boast supersized values, but consumers don't necessarily think they offer much bang for the buck," said Tod Marks, Consumer Reports' senior projects editor.

The survey, based on responses from more than 36,700 subscribers who made more than 98,000 visits to 53 fast-food chains, found that the big four U.S. fast-food chains had "uninspiring food" and "only so-so service".

No more than 11 percent of respondents found the food at those big brands to be "excellent," while a higher number -- 15 to 19 percent -- found their food to be fair, poor, or very poor.

Southern California favorite In-N-Out Burger captured the No. 1 spot among all of the chains with high rankings for food, service, value and speed.

McDonald's ranked last in the hamburger category, with particularly poor performance in food satisfaction, to finish just behind Burger King.

Chick-fil-A's popular pickle-topped chicken sandwiches helped the company rise to the top of the chicken chains. Yum Brand's KFC was at the bottom of the bucket.

Chipotle Mexican Grill was the king of the south-of-the-border inspired chains, while Yum's Taco Bell ranked second to last.

Fifty-four percent of survey participants cited low prices as a reason for picking a particular fast-food restaurant. Despite the low prices, just 19 percent of all respondents said they got excellent value for their money.

In-N-Out Burger, Papa Murphy's and CiCi's Pizza were seen as offering the best value, while Sbarro, Round Table Pizza and KFC were the worst.

Full survey results are available at www.ConsumerReports.org.

Consumer Reports magazine is published by Consumers Union, a nonprofit organization that independently rates a variety of products.

DemonGeminiX
06-30-2011, 01:50 PM
I wish there was an In-N-Out burger around here.

:sad2:

Muddy
06-30-2011, 02:19 PM
I wish there was an In-N-Out burger around here.

:sad2:

If you have a "five guys".. It's better.

http://www.fiveguys.com/locations.aspx

KevinD
06-30-2011, 02:23 PM
I agree, 5 guys is better, but the local one only makes the small sized burger now for some reason. In-N-Out is pretty good too though.

Muddy
06-30-2011, 02:26 PM
I like to add jalepenos on my 5 guys burgers... wooo wee!

AntZ
06-30-2011, 02:54 PM

You just like the visual fantasy of "five guys" while you're eating! http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/obscene/094.gif

In-n-Out rules all surveys!

http://i.imgur.com/tRuIU.jpg

Loser
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
I've been fast food and caffeine free for 4 months now, and I'm in the best shape of my life.

I didn't give up red meat, I didn't give up cheese or dairy, and I didn't give up french fries*they're home made now*

-I've lost 35 lbs so far.
-My insomnia is pretty much gone.
-My migraines are gone.
-My random joint pain is gone.
-I don't sweat like a hooker in church anymore.

The list is endless really.

Needless to say, I'll never touch anything with caffeine or fast food ever again.

:nana:

KevinD
06-30-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't eat a lot of fast food, but 5 guys isn't really different than home cooked burgers and fries.

Oh, and Ant? I've eaten both in-n-out, and 5 guys, at different places over the years. 5 guys is way better. Period.

Muddy
06-30-2011, 03:44 PM
You just like the visual fantasy of "five guys" while you're eating! http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/obscene/094.gif

Survey Says!!!

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/4/4/e2c624b4-913c-4059-9b40-e42a1bcdea4d.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2011, 03:45 PM
I've been fast food and caffeine free for 4 months now, and I'm in the best shape of my life.

I didn't give up red meat, I didn't give up cheese or dairy, and I didn't give up french fries*they're home made now*

-My migraines are gone.

Needless to say, I'll never touch anything with caffeine or fast food ever again.

Why don't you just join a monastery too? :-s

Muddy
06-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Why don't you just join a monastery too? :-s

Might as well... I'm sure he's celibate as well.. :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2011, 03:48 PM
:burn:

Exercise, eat healthy, die anyways

Muddy
06-30-2011, 03:50 PM

I try not to eat a bunch of turd because it makes me feel fat and greasy... Generally lighter things make me feel better..

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
I see no problem with fast food or caffeine as long as you are smart about it. If you eat a Big Mac every day, then that's on you for not having any self control.

Muddy
06-30-2011, 03:57 PM
I love a big Mac when Im really hungry... it's like giving a hobo a ham sandwich....

Acid Trip
06-30-2011, 03:57 PM

-My migraines are gone.

Caffeine actually has health benefits. Do a Google search on it and you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's the food that was making you feel like shit. I drink a lot of coffee (for the caffeine) but never after 1pm (light sleeper unless I'm high).

Noilly Pratt
06-30-2011, 04:00 PM

-My migraines are gone.

You're gonna have to change your name to "Winner" or something!

Been doing much the same and only about 10 lbs loss, but energy level is way up, my migraines are gone too, and I limit my "5 guys" visits to once a month.

Acid Trip
06-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Anyone here a fan of Smashburger? I thought I was going to get a Red Robin style burger (aka yummy in the tummy) and was very disappointed with what they served me.

Noilly Pratt
06-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Never heard of Smashburger here (Canada and in NW Washington).

We also have FatBurger -- which I like better than 5 guys because it's less greasy.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Anyone here a fan of Smashburger? I thought I was going to get a Red Robin style burger (aka yummy in the tummy) and was very disappointed with what they served me.

They just opened a few of them in the Denver metro area. I haven't been yet, but a friend that tried it said they were VERY expensive.

Godfather
06-30-2011, 04:11 PM
They just opened a few of them in the Denver metro area. I haven't been yet, but a friend that tried it said they were VERY expensive.

What is very expensive burgers in the US?

I watch Diner's Drive Ins and Dives sometimes... and there are these HUGE burgers for 5 bucks. Up here you cant get out of a fast food place for under 8$ after tax. Even a sub-par full service burger joint is going to be 12$ for a burger :lol: Food prices and portions must be 25% worse up here. God I love eating in America. :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2011, 04:13 PM
What is very expensive burgers in the US?

I watch Diner's Drive Ins and Dives sometimes... and there are these HUGE burgers for 5 bucks. Up here you cant get out of a fast food place for under 8$ after tax. Even a sub-par full service burger joint is going to be 12$ for a burger :lol: Food prices and portions must be 25% worse up here. God I love eating in America. :thumbsup:

http://www.smashburger.com/menu_colorado.php

Everything is 'a la carte' they have no combo meals from what he was saying. So once you add a side and a drink, it's expensive.

Although McD's and BK aren't exactly cheap anymore :wha:

Godfather
06-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Damn... $6 for a kick-ass burger is totally average if you ask me :lol:

Even White Spot burgers (one step from fast-food) are $11 for a little burger, lettuce, tomato and sauce and a side of fries.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-30-2011, 04:36 PM

http://www.fiveguys.com/locations.aspx

You sir are high, 5 guys is just a failed attempt at ripping of In N Out, I have been to both and 5 guys is shit compared to In N Out

Muddy
06-30-2011, 04:40 PM
You sir are high, 5 guys is just a failed attempt at ripping of In N Out, I have been to both and 5 guys is shit compared to In N Out

Tell that to KevinD... you avocado sandwich eating pig...

PorkChopSandwiches
06-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Kevin is mistaken.

Muddy
06-30-2011, 04:42 PM
*rear naked choke*

PorkChopSandwiches
06-30-2011, 04:42 PM
How can you even compare a knock off of an original?

Muddy
06-30-2011, 04:43 PM
It's a fucking hamburger dude, how can it be a knock off?

PorkChopSandwiches
06-30-2011, 04:45 PM
In N Out never freezes the meat its fresh all the time, 5 guys makes no mention of that on their site. They also stole the exact same decor, just trying to cash in on In N Outs fame. :roll:

Muddy
06-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Im on In n outs website and their burgers look horrible..

PorkChopSandwiches
06-30-2011, 04:50 PM
They cook there buns fresh everyday, make the fries out of fresh cut potatoes (when you order, they cut a whole potato) fresh un-frozen meat. You cant understand, unless you came out and had one.

AntZ
06-30-2011, 05:05 PM
They cook there buns fresh everyday, make the fries out of fresh cut potatoes (when you order, they cut a whole potato) fresh un-frozen meat. You cant understand, unless you came out and had one.

So Cal is and will always be the origin of the greatest burgers!

From a 4x4 at In-n-Out to a Super Star w/cheese from Carl's Jr.

Even Farmer Boys ranks up there! http://farmerboys.com/menu/

Acid Trip
06-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Let's just say the burger wasn't worth the price. My buddy got one of their hotdogs and he liked it.

Loser
06-30-2011, 05:32 PM

It's simple, I quit eating McFatass and lost 35lbs.

I don't eat healthier, I don't excersize, etc...

I eat burgers and steak most of the week.:nana:

Caffeine actually has health benefits. Do a Google search on it and you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's the food that was making you feel like shit. I drink a lot of coffee (for the caffeine) but never after 1pm (light sleeper unless I'm high).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Main_symptoms_of_Caffeine_overdose.png

Yea, that pretty much sums up why I quit caffeine. :P

You're gonna have to change your name to "Winner" or something!

Been doing much the same and only about 10 lbs loss, but energy level is way up, my migraines are gone too, and I limit my "5 guys" visits to once a month.

Man, I have more energy then I know what to do with. I go to sleep around 2am, sleep like a fucking brick, wake up at 7 and feel like I can run a 4 minute mile.

But more importantly, like you, my migraines are gone. Haven't had one in 4 months. I used to get them weekly. Can't even count the amount of money I saved on buying excederins.

Acid Trip
06-30-2011, 06:40 PM
That's a caffeine overdose. You'd have to be pounding coffee or no doze pills to get enough caffeine in you to do that stuff.

"ScienceDaily (May 18, 2010) — Although caffeine is the most widely consumed psychoactive drug worldwide, its potential beneficial effect for maintenance of proper brain functioning has only recently begun to be adequately appreciated. "

"At least six studies have shown that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three studies showing the more they drink, the lower the risk. Other research has shown that drinking coffee can reduce the risk of colon and liver cancer by some 25%, slash the risk of skin cancer by some 40%, drop the risk of liver cirrhosis by 22%, and lower the risk of gallstones by nearly half."

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2011, 06:51 PM
It's simple, I quit eating McFatass and lost 35lbs.

I don't eat healthier, I don't excersize, etc...

I eat burgers and steak most of the week.:nana:

The company bought us lunch today....I just had 3 slices of pizza and washed it down with a Coke :burp:

:banana:

Hal-9000
06-30-2011, 07:15 PM
I agree with GF..you guys down there pay about half of what we do and get twice as much..

We have a great old drive thru up her called Peter's Drive in.It features some of the largest, greasiest drippers (hamburgers) this side of the 49th...
Their shakes are made with real ice cream and contain about 500 thousand calories.I don't eat fries but have heard that Peter's are yummy
and cooked in the proper amount of oil to really bump up your cholesterol in one sitting :thumbsup:

You feel like you need a shower after a big meal there, but it's worth it

Muddy
06-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Im gonna have to go take a creamy after reading all that, Hal...

DemonGeminiX
06-30-2011, 07:19 PM

But live longer than Lance in the meantime.

Hal-9000
06-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Im gonna have to go take a creamy after reading all that, Hal...

Peter's burgers have this unique smell...they soak them in this greasy gravy stuff before serving (kinda like a pattie pool) and they are always juicy and dripping

I'd drive across the city just to get one of their chocolate/banana shakes...real hunks of banana and the shake weighs about 4 lbs......yummy!

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
But live longer than Lance in the meantime.

But I'll die happy :dance2:

Hal-9000
06-30-2011, 07:33 PM
But I'll die happy :dance2:

They won't bother with the defibrillator when Lance goes down, they'll just heat up two baconators and thrust them down his throat using ketchup as lube :thumbsup:

Muddy
06-30-2011, 07:49 PM
They won't bother with the defibrillator when Lance goes down, they'll just heat up two baconators and thrust them down his throat using ketchup as lube :thumbsup:

Hahahaha... :lol:

Hal-9000
06-30-2011, 07:52 PM
New supernatural movie featuring people in the fast food drive-thru who die for a few minutes then are brought back with BBQ sauce and side orders...it's called Fatliners :thumbsup:

Hugh_Janus
07-02-2011, 08:29 AM

that looks horrible! and that sweaty bun.... :vomit: