PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore's 'nobody kill anybody' weekend leaves at least 2 people dead

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2017, 10:49 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/hA6HDnP.jpg

Baltimore activists' attempt for a murder-free weekend proved to be too much to ask of the city, with at least three people shot, two of them killed, in less than 72 hours since guns were ordered to be put down.

Activist Erricka Bridgeford promoted the campaign as a "Baltimore ceasefire" and "Nobody kill anybody" weekend that began on Friday and ends Sunday night, garnering the support of thousands on social media since May.

The city made it through Friday with no shootings reported, drawing hope from participants the campaign might see some success. But by Saturday, two men -- ages 24 and 37 -- were shot and killed in separate incidents just hours apart, according to the Baltimore Sun. Another man, 22, also suffered a gunshot wound to the arm, FOX45 reported.

Participants gathered at the scene of the shooting to comfort relatives and neighbors. On Sunday morning, Bridgeford took to Facebook to ensure Baltimore residents the "ceasefire has NOT ended."

"If you are going to run around here acting defeated, A. Part of me wants to give you this nub to your eye, and then, to hug you, and B. You are not ready for this revolution. It's fine. But please sit down & quiet yourself. Stop panicking out loud. Find a corner & watch us keep GETTING THIS WORK," Bridgeford wrote on her Facebook page.

Baltimore has been marred by gun violence for years. The city has seen 204 murders by the end of July, a record number in the city's history, the Baltimore Sun reported.

Organizers said though the weekend may end with deaths, the goal of it was to unify the city.

"This is to let the people in the community know that there’s hope," Tyrone Boyette, a participant, told the newspaper. "We known it's not going to stop the murders, but it's a start."

More than 30 events were planned for the weekend and Sunday activities are expected to continue as scheduled despite the shooting deaths.

Goofy
08-07-2017, 11:43 AM
In the Perth area we have "nobody kill anybody" weekends pretty much every weekend :)

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Sounds like you need to import a few dozen gangbangers from Chicago :-k

Goofy
08-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Sounds like you need to import a few dozen gangbangers from Chicago :-k
Too cold for them, they'd freeze before they could shoot anyone :)

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2017, 11:58 AM
You do know that it gets colder in Chicago than it does in Perth, right? :facepalm:

Goofy
08-07-2017, 12:35 PM
No, how would i know? :shrug:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2017, 12:37 PM
:facepalm:

RBP
08-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Chicago's a tropical paradise. :lol:

"Nobody kill anybody, except those two motherfuckers over there" weekend.

But I applaud the neighborhood trying to change the culture internally and not blaming the police.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2017, 01:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hHqy19F.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
08-07-2017, 03:12 PM
I can't believe it didnt work

perrhaps
08-08-2017, 08:43 AM
I can't believe it didnt work

That's because you're a hater.

deebakes
08-09-2017, 02:04 AM
*still contemplating taking a job there :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
08-09-2017, 03:29 AM
:rip: Dee

DemonGeminiX
08-09-2017, 03:44 AM

I've refused taking jobs with companies here because their headquarters are in Baltimore, and in each case I was told that eventually I would be asked to go up there. Maryland's gun laws are some of the worst in the nation, their taxes are fucking outrageous anyway you slice it, and the animals are running the zoo.

Hugh_Janus
08-09-2017, 09:53 PM
why is the title suggesting its the idea's fault?

Hal-9000
08-09-2017, 11:19 PM

Omar is walkin :shock:

deebakes
08-10-2017, 01:44 AM
I've refused taking jobs with companies here because their headquarters are in Baltimore, and in each case I was told that eventually I would be asked to go up there. Maryland's gun laws are some of the worst in the nation, their taxes are fucking outrageous anyway you slice it, and the animals are running the zoo.

i'm not going any time soon (that i can envisage), but the offer is a standing one :shrug: