PDA

View Full Version : North Korea threatens missile strike on Guam that will create an 'enveloping fire'

Teh One Who Knocks
08-09-2017, 10:54 AM
By David Caplan - ABC News

https://i.imgur.com/Ws8Zhqz.jpg

North Korea said it is "carefully examining" plans to attack Guam with medium- to long-range ballistic missiles, state-run media reported Wednesday.

The rogue nation's statement follows President Donald Trump's comments hours before, during which he warned North Korea that any threats to the U.S. "will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen"

The North Korean army made the announcement in a statement distributed by its state-run news agency that the military is reviewing a plan to create an "enveloping fire" in areas around the U.S. territory, located in the Pacific Ocean about 2,100 miles from North Korea.

The statement said the decision to review such plans is in response to a recent ICBM test.

There are 7,000 US military personnel on Guam.

The main base on the island is Andersen Air Force Base that is home to long-range B-1 bombers that have recently been used for “show of force” missions to South Korea following North Korea’s two ICBM missile launches.

Andersen Air Force Base is just one of the installations on Guam; Naval Base Guam also has a significant number of personnel.

Guam's offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense said in a statement that its threat level remained unchanged, and that it will "continue to monitor the recent events surrounding North Korea and their threatening actions."

Homeland Security adviser George Charfauros said in a statement, "As of this morning, we have not changed our stance in confidence that the U.S. Department of Defense is monitoring this situation very closely and is maintaining a condition of readiness, daily. We will continue to keep the public updated on any changes or requests for action. For now, we advise the community to remain calm, remember that there are defenses in place for threats such as North Korea and to continue to remain prepared for all hazards.”

Charfauros is in regular contact with the federal Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Defense. He has not received any guidance that there is an imminent threat, Guam Homeland Security said.

Still, the speaker of the Guam Legislature told The Associated Press he hopes the island can defend itself in the event of a North Korean attack.

"We're just praying that the United States and the ... defense system we have here is sufficient enough to protect us," Benjamin J. Cruz said.

Cruz said the threat is "very disconcerting," adding, "It forces us to pause and to say a prayer for the safety of our people."

Guam's governor, Eddie Calvo, released a two-minute video message to the island's residents, in which he said, "I want to ensure that we are prepared for any eventuality."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgdXG-LPUBw

Teh One Who Knocks
08-09-2017, 11:37 AM
by Adam Shaw - Breitbart

https://i.imgur.com/yHMCMLx.jpg

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) criticized President Trump Tuesday for Trump’s hawkish remarks on North Korea, saying Trump shouldn’t threaten the regime unless he is ready to back it up with action.

Trump ramped up the rhetoric against North Korea Tuesday after multiple reports of military escalation from the rogue regime. Trump won a diplomatic coup Saturday when the U.N. voted unanimously to slap massive sanctions on North Korea — avoiding vetoes from Russia and China.

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that the country had developed miniaturized nuclear warheads for its missiles — with the potential to hit the U.S.

“North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen,” Trump said.

McCain, being interviewed on Arizona radio station KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Mac & Gaydos, said he wasn’t surprised by the development in Pyongyang, but criticized Trump for his tough remarks.

“I take exception to the president’s comments because you got to be sure you can do what you say you’re going to do,” he said. “In other words the old ‘walk softly but carry a big stick’ — Teddy Roosevelt’s saying, which I think is something that should have applied — because all it’s going to do is bring us closer to some kind of serious confrontation.”

McCain also pointed to China as the key to solving the crisis, suggesting it would make a big difference if China were to clamp down on the rogue regime, and called on Trump to sit down with President Xi Jinping to get them to crack down on North Korea.

But he also expressed confusion about what Trump was referring to when he spoke about “fire and fury.”

“I don’t know what he’s saying and I have long ago given up trying to interpret what he says,” he said, before adding that he believes that other great presidents wouldn’t have spoken in those terms.

“The great leaders I’ve seen, they don’t threaten unless they are ready to act and I’m not sure President Trump is ready to act,” he said.

“Maybe it’ll turn out alright, he’s the president I’m not, but I don’t think some of the great leaders I admired would have taken that same path,” he added.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-09-2017, 11:38 AM
McCain also pointed to China as the key to solving the crisis, suggesting it would make a big difference if China were to clamp down on the rogue regime, and called on Trump to sit down with President Xi Jinping to get them to crack down on North Korea.

Yes, because we've only been waiting for that to happen since at least 1992, so what's a few more years of waiting? :roll:

Goofy
08-09-2017, 12:11 PM
:nuts: There's a storm comin'!

Teh One Who Knocks
08-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Seems a lot of people have a problem with the President telling North Korea that any aggression will be met with 'fire and fury' in his statement yesterday. :rolleyes:

RBP
08-09-2017, 01:06 PM
I agree that he needs to be willing to back it up. I criticized Obama for his red line bullshit is Syria. I'll do the same if Trump backs off.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-09-2017, 01:08 PM
I don't think Trump will back off. He didn't back off when it came to Syria and launching the cruise missile strike. I think it will be the same with Best Korea, I think they are poking the wrong bear now.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Needs to be swift and full, none of this pansy ass shit we have seen in the middle east the last 8 years

Hal-9000
08-09-2017, 05:14 PM
This picture heads an article titled - Why North Korea is Threatening Guam

:lol: I can't finish the article

http://i.imgur.com/2SWyse1.jpg

Hugh_Janus
08-09-2017, 09:41 PM
what are the odds the guy second from right is now dead for not laughing enough?

deebakes
08-10-2017, 01:41 AM
100%

Hugh_Janus
08-10-2017, 09:14 PM
holy dickballs.... just noticed the biggest fag in the world on the table