PDA

View Full Version : California billionaire ordered to restore public access to $32.5M beachfront property

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2017, 10:49 AM
By Paulina Dedaj, FOX News and The Associated Press

https://i.imgur.com/yPC8gkK.jpg
A locked gate blocks public access to Martins Beach near Half Moon Bay.

A California court has ordered a billionaire to reopen access to a popular formerly public beach, creating an important precedent for public right-of-access cases across the country.

The First District Court of Appeals in San Francisco ruled 3-0 that Vinod Khosla, co-founder of the giant tech company Sun Microsystems, violated state law when he closed access to Martins Beach after purchasing the beachfront property surrounding the area for $32.5 million.

The beach, located about 30 miles south of San Francisco, used to be a popular spot for fishing and surfing until Khosla closed public access in 2010 and scared away beachgoers with the threat of trespassing charges, the Guardian reported.

Khosla purchased the property in 2008. The previous owner had admitted the public for nearly 70 years, providing public restrooms and a general store, but Khosla shut down public access, citing the cost of maintenance and liability insurance, SFGate reported.

Khosla has been embroiled in legal battles ever since.

Thursday’s ruling was considered a victory for those advocating against wealthy land owners like Khosla who attempt to buy the beaches along the California coast, turning public lands into private property.

Jack Ainsworth, California’s Coastal Commission executive director, said he was optimistic that the ruling will lead to the reopening of Khosla’s property:

"We are hopeful that the day will come when the locks are cut off the gates and the public can once again walk across the sand at Martins Beach.”

Muddy
08-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Booya! :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2017, 06:48 PM
You know he bought this just because he wanted to close that beach down

Muddy
08-11-2017, 06:50 PM
Rich people do what they want.

Hal-9000
08-11-2017, 07:06 PM
I'm confused again. If he bought and owns the property, how can it be a public beach?

I worked in Banff, which is a little town in a national park. The government will only sell certain parcels of land. If you're a business or home owner out there, you have it made for life. But there are no judgments saying that mountain is in a public park, you the person who owns the land nearby has to open it up for public use.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2017, 07:11 PM
I'm confused again. If he bought and owns the property, how can it be a public beach?

I worked in Banff, which is a little town in a national park. The government will only sell certain parcels of land. If you're a business or home owner out there, you have it made for life. But there are no judgments saying that mountain is in a public park, you the person who owns the land nearby has to open it up for public use.

If I understand the story correctly, the beach itself is public, but the only way to get to it was thru that road that goes thru his property. So by closing the road to the beach, he effectively closed the whole beach to the public, even though he doesn't own the beach.

Hal-9000
08-11-2017, 07:17 PM
If I understand the story correctly, the beach itself is public, but the only way to get to it was thru that road that goes thru his property. So by closing the road to the beach, he effectively closed the whole beach to the public, even though he doesn't own the beach.

Reminds me of a place we used to swim at, about 3/4's of a mile west of my house called Twin Bridges. River winds west and north and we would take coolers of beer and find some bend or area to swim at. Some landowners out there would get testy, twice guns appeared while I was there (yes in Canada), which prompted my friend to contact the government and ask just what the rule was. Gov said as long as you're in the river, you are in a public area. If you leave trash or bottles on someone's land, you can be fined as well as charged for trespassing.

Same friend got so involved with the issue, they made him a ward of a plotted public area, complete with maps outlining who owns what and what his (unpaid) role would be. It was really cool and the friend eventually went into forestry as a career.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-12-2017, 07:12 PM
:haha:

Godfather
08-12-2017, 10:08 PM

Beach in Canada is always public, you can't make it private property. I believe the Crown owns all land 20-30m from the high water mark, or something like that.

I'm not exactly sure how 'access' has to work though... I know you can just walk along the beach in front of anyone's home, but I think it's up to the Crown to leave access open at some point along the beach head.

I heard an interesting fact recently that there's no such thing as trespassing law in Scotland... you can walk through anyone's yard as long as you're not causing any damage.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Beach in Canada is always public, you can't make it private property. I believe the Crown owns all land 20-30m from the high water mark, or something like that.

I'm not exactly sure how 'access' has to work though... I know you can just walk along the beach in front of anyone's home, but I think it's up to the Crown to leave access open at some point along the beach head.

I heard an interesting fact recently that there's no such thing as trespassing law in Scotland... you can walk through anyone's yard as long as you're not causing any damage.

That would be incorrect sir:

http://www.thompsons-scotland.co.uk/blog/33-main/2527-are-there-really-no-trespassing-laws-in-scotland

Godfather
08-14-2017, 09:57 PM
Interesting! I was told this while literally in Scotland in May, by my wife's Scottish family :lol: I'll have to pass that along.