PDA

View Full Version : Kim Jong Un's disappearance sparks concerns missile launch could be imminent

Teh One Who Knocks
08-15-2017, 11:04 AM
FOX News

https://i.imgur.com/iXTnnPp.jpg

North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un has vanished from the public eye for two weeks, South Korean media reported, prompting fears that he may be preparing to mark Tuesday’s public holiday by firing a new rocket.

The last time Kim went days without being seen was prior to the ICBM launch in late July, when he remained incognito for two weeks before making his grandiose public appearance. His public withdrawal comes as nuclear tensions mount between Washington and Pyongyang, and on the heels of the leader’s threat to attack the U.S. island territory of Guam.

On Tuesday, North Korea is set to commemorate the Korean Peninsula’s liberation from Japan at the end of World War II.

Adding to the speculation of an imminent rocket-fire test, last week U.S.-based North Korea watchdog site 38 North released satellite imagery of a submarine base in the hermit country, showing that tarps had been placed above both the fore and aft decks of the Sinpo-class submarine base, presumably to conceal any inside movements.

However, other analysts have also pointed out that Kim has previously disappeared for lengthy periods due to an unknown “physical condition.” Furthermore, his father, Kim Jong Il, disappeared for around six weeks after the U.S. invaded Iraq in 2003, prompting speculation that he simply may have felt threatened.

Trump vowed last week that the U.S. would respond with “fire and fury” and is “locked and loaded” should North Korea dare come close to carrying an attack on the U.S. territory of Guam. Pentagon officials have told Fox News that the U.S. military stands ready to “fight tonight.”

https://i.imgur.com/O0MMBIJ.gif

Pyongyang, in turn, warned that “even a single shell dropped on the Korea Peninsula might lead to the outbreak of thermonuclear war” and that North Korea considers “the U.S. no more than a lump” which it “can beat to a jelly at any time.”

RBP
08-15-2017, 12:14 PM
But the important part is Trump didn't say "white supremacists" quickly enough.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-15-2017, 12:28 PM
You know, even growing up during the arms race of the 80's and the nuclear weapons stockpiles just increasing and increasing with the Soviets (and to a lesser extent, the Chinese), I was never really worried about the threat of a nuclear conflict of any kind. It was all in our face almost daily and it still never had me worried that it would happen. But with THIS guy, he actually worries me and I don't think he would hesitate to use them.

RBP
08-15-2017, 12:57 PM
I think he is more contained than we know. Plus Guam is a bomber base surrounded by a missile shield.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-15-2017, 01:01 PM
I'm not just talking about his threats towards Guam, he could easily hit any target in South Korea and there would be no time to stop it because of the short distance, and to a lesser extent, there is a threat to Japan and Tokyo. Higher probability of being able to stop it by shooting the missile down, but that's not a 100% guarantee that it would be neutralized. Japan's major cities are packed with people, any detonation of a nuclear device would be catastrophic.

Noilly Pratt
08-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Then, how credible is this article from "The Hill" stating the dude is backing off? http://thehill.com/policy/defense/346566-north-korea-backs-off-guam-missile-threat-report

Hal-9000
08-15-2017, 06:29 PM
You know, even growing up during the arms race of the 80's and the nuclear weapons stockpiles just increasing and increasing with the Soviets (and to a lesser extent, the Chinese), I was never really worried about the threat of a nuclear conflict of any kind. It was all in our face almost daily and it still never had me worried that it would happen. But with THIS guy, he actually worries me and I don't think he would hesitate to use them.

I've worried about it my entire life. It only takes one world leader who wants his name in the history books forever. After the Russians, it was guys like Castro, Gaddafi, Hussein and even Idi Amin that had enough control and resources to get a working nuke. In more recent years we get countries like India and Pakistan arming themselves with nukes.

It only takes one strike, by accident or otherwise to start the exchange. And it only takes one high altitude approximate strike over our land to create an EMP that affects everything under the reverse parabola it creates. Plain terms, they don't even have to hit a target. They can explode the weapon 2 miles up over your country and the EMP created will be devastating.

Hugh_Janus
08-15-2017, 09:37 PM
I'll eat my hat if this ever happens