PDA

View Full Version : College alternatives must now be discussed as part of post-high school counseling

Teh One Who Knocks
08-21-2017, 11:08 AM
TheDenverChannel.com Team

https://i.imgur.com/2D8Dn2l.jpg

DENVER -- Starting this fall, a new law requires Colorado schools to discuss alternatives to college as part of a student's academic and career planning.

“The original idea was to bring shop class, metals, drafting, that sort of thing back to junior highs and high schools,” sponsor State Rep. Phil Covarrubias, R-Brighton, told Anne Trujillo on this weekend’s Politics Unplugged. “As we were working on the bill and whittling down on it, we realized Colorado has a lot of opportunity already, so the issue was, ‘Is there a disconnect?’”

Covarrubias said House Bill 1041 was designed to direct students and give them the opportunity to look options like the trades and military training.

“Electricians, dry wallers, excavators, movers, everything in the construction industry -- we’re down about 60,000 in the state of Colorado and more nationwide,” Covarrubias said. “The goal is to let young people have the opportunity, or if there are people who have a degree and can’t find work. The apprenticeships are available for anybody who wants to get out there and take a second look at their career path.”

deebakes
08-21-2017, 01:52 PM
seems reasonable, but not necessarily required :shrug:

Godfather
08-22-2017, 01:03 AM
Who knows, maybe they found none of these kids had ever been given alternatives?

I went to a school with a great career planning program, it was an entire course in 12th grade, we had to explore all kinds of options, mandatory interviews with people in various careers, volunteering or work experience hours were required to pass, resume and cover letter planning, presentations, we did some aptitude tests that indicated what some careers might be to think about.... I'm not sure how wide spread that is, but it can be pretty invaluable.

deebakes
08-26-2017, 01:42 PM
i have never heard of anything like that gf... our "guidance" counselors pretty much only helped the troubled people, otherwise you figured it out on your own :shrug:

Godfather
08-26-2017, 03:58 PM
That's too bad, a little guidance at that age can go a long way.

deebakes
08-26-2017, 04:25 PM
maybe my experience is different, but when i was in high school there was hardly any guidance for the "normal+" student

Godfather
08-26-2017, 06:17 PM
Ya that's hard to fix, admin will only ever know the worst 10% and the top 5% of students by name :lol:

deebakes
08-26-2017, 09:30 PM
i was top 5% :dance:

DemonGeminiX
08-26-2017, 10:17 PM
seems reasonable, but not necessarily required :shrug:

It is reasonable but I disagree with the not necessarily required point. This is old school. We've gotten away from that. We used to push trade and military service as options. We need to get back to it. I don't know when it became so bad to lay military service at someone's feet as a viable option. Someone has to do it. And you keep hearing all over the place about how trade work is lacking in people. These are jobs that need to be filled for the benefit of our country and society.

deebakes
08-26-2017, 10:22 PM
old school :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-26-2017, 10:30 PM
It is old school. Back in the day, college was pushed as an option to the top people in the class. Teachers and counselors weren't telling every student that they could go to college. That's changed. Now look at what you have: A bunch of unemployed or underemployed college graduates and a metric ton of trade positions that need to be filled.

Listen to Mike Rowe talk about it. He's been saying this stuff for years.

Pony
08-27-2017, 12:45 AM
Years of being told "You have to go to college or you'll end up working at McDonalds.....Or join the military" and we wonder why there are so many fields lacking competent employees.

deebakes
08-27-2017, 03:06 AM
because millennials are incompetent buffoons? :?

Godfather
08-27-2017, 07:27 AM
because millennials are incompetent buffoons? :?

:roll:

deebakes
08-27-2017, 01:17 PM
:dance: