PDA

View Full Version : Ohio sorority sister faces backlash after ranting it is ‘weird’ for men to hook up with black women

Teh One Who Knocks
08-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Eric W. Dolan - The Raw Story

https://i.imgur.com/HYuF3OK.jpg

A sophomore at Ohio State has been condemned by her university after video emerged of her making racist remarks.

A 10-second video posted to Twitter Sunday night shows Katelyn Rust saying “F*ck yourself you are hooking up with a black girl. That’s weird. That’s weird as f*ck. F*ck you.”

Many social media users who watched the video commented that Rust appeared to be intoxicated.

The video was posted by Aleigha Mason, who told The Lantern she was the subject of the rant. Rust was apparently upset that Mason had danced with her ex-boyfriend.

“I just want her to understand that her comments are hurtful and not okay,” Mason said.

Sophie Chang, Ohio State’s Undergraduate Student Government Vice President, said the video showed “unacceptable” rhetoric and behavior.

The Pi Beta Phi sorority, of which Rust is a member, also told The Lantern that the content of the video was not aligned with their values. “We are currently working through our member accountability process,” Ohio State Pi Beta Phi President Tricia Gore said.

Mason later removed the tweet and posted a message to those who had supported her.

“At the end of the day she is a human too even though she thinks I am less than that… We shouldn’t act as if my tweet never existed, this happens everywhere and there is NO excuse. Let this be a lesson to all,” Mason said.

Goofy
08-23-2017, 11:48 AM
“I just want her to understand that her comments are hurtful and not okay,” Mason said.

No, you wanted her to get into trouble

Hal-9000
08-23-2017, 07:21 PM
Just because everyone in the world can have a microphone these days, it doesn't mean you should use it.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-23-2017, 07:23 PM
Horrendous :roll:

RBP
08-24-2017, 03:00 AM
Just because everyone in the world can have a microphone these days, it doesn't mean you should use it.

Or maybe we are all entitled to have opinions. Shocking these days, I know.

Hal-9000
08-24-2017, 06:29 PM
Or maybe we are all entitled to have opinions. Shocking these days, I know.

All the world's a stage and we are merely players. It's more true now than ever before.

It's the gray area in between our two statements that's the key I think. Now that everyone can be heard, maybe use the opportunity intelligently.

DemonGeminiX
08-24-2017, 07:59 PM
She was drunk. There's no intelligence to be had there. Maybe the person recording the video should have exercised restraint with their phone?

RBP
08-25-2017, 12:05 AM
All the world's a stage and we are merely players. It's more true now than ever before.

It's the gray area in between our two statements that's the key I think. Now that everyone can be heard, maybe use the opportunity intelligently.

I am going to say something very cynical.

Without guardrails such as societal limits and decorum, humans will sink to the lowest common denominator AT BEST.

Griffin
08-25-2017, 12:15 AM
good thing there are guardrails on the roadways while they are texting.:roll:

deebakes
08-26-2017, 02:55 PM
i'm quite glad that recording devices didn't exist when i was intoxicated in college, i am sure i would have a lot of explaining to do before i grew up :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-26-2017, 09:30 PM
i'm quite glad that recording devices didn't exist when i was intoxicated in college, i am sure i would have a lot of explaining to do before i grew up :lol:

:lol:

No shit. Me too.

Hal-9000
08-27-2017, 07:41 PM
I am going to say something very cynical.

Without guardrails such as societal limits and decorum, humans will sink to the lowest common denominator AT BEST.

I like that the internet can give everyone a voice. In a wide open, no holds barred environment people can really start communicating.

But... it reminds me of when teachers and psychologists encourage children to act out in any way that they want to 'express themselves'. In that situation there is no discipline, there are no wrong actions and the encouragers feel that any negative feedback given to the children will adversely affect them.

So even when a person merely suggests a little decorum during an internet discsussion, they become instantly vilified as a censor and worse.

What really bothers me (and scares me) is how some people have no idea how their comments are abusive or may affect someone negatively. They think that making a snap value judgment about race or any other hot button topic is perfectly fine and is their right. They only apologize or back up a step when their jobs or reputations are in jeopardy because of the comment, or when a large group of people has to inform them that the statement was not appropriate.

In some ways I miss the old days where you needed a case of beer, a loud voice, and possibly a fist fight to get your asshole-ish opinion heard by the masses :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-27-2017, 08:47 PM
In some ways I miss the old days where you needed a case of beer, a loud voice, and possibly a fist fight to get your asshole-ish opinion heard by the masses :lol:

:huh:

You miss that? Come visit Georgia. That still goes on every weekend and sometimes during happy hour during the week.