PDA

View Full Version : She thought she discovered a wallet with $150K inside, but she was “completely fooled”

Teh One Who Knocks
09-05-2017, 11:18 AM
by Jenna Sachs - FOX 6 Now

https://i.imgur.com/szHK2Qa.jpg

BROOKFIELD -- She thought she had discovered a wallet with $150,000 in it, and she decided "finders keepers," but what she thought was good fortune turned out to be a huge mistake.

"I was completely, completely fooled," the woman, who asked that we not reveal her identity said.

The woman said she's filled with regret.

"I just regret being a part of it," she said.

She said she was walking through a parking lot on Bluemound Road in Brookfield when a woman called out to her.

"She asked me if I had dropped anything," the woman said.

She said the woman held up a wallet filled with cash.

"It was brown and it almost looked like the size of a brick," she said.

They called over a third woman to take a look, and decided to keep the money -- splitting it three ways.

"Well, finders keepers then, huh?" she said.

The woman who found the wallet said she worked at First Weber Realty. She said her office had a money counting machine, and that her boss would help them draw up paperwork to keep the money legally. The three women drove together to the office, parked in the back and the woman who found the wallet walked inside.

She came back out with unbelievable news.

"That there was $150,000 in cash in the wallet," she said.

But in order to get the money, she said all three women had to provide some cash to prove they were financially responsible, so they drove to Educator's Credit Union.

"I walked to the bank and withdrew the money," the woman said.

Back at First Weber Realty, they parked behind the building again, and the woman said one at a time, the other two women walked around the building and came back with stacks of what looked like real cash.

Then it was this woman's turn.

"That's when she hit me that something was wrong," she said.

Inside First Weber, no one knew what she was talking about. Meanwhile, the car and the other two women disappeared, along with her $2,000.

"The whole thing is horrendous," she said.

Brookfield police say they are investigating the incident. A spokesman told FOX6 he'd never heard of this type of scam before. FOX6 also spoke with First Weber Realty, which says no one by that description or name works for them.

The victim said she spent three hours with the alleged scammers, and while she's broke, she's grateful she wasn't hurt.

Hal-9000
09-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Rule #1:

When getting free money, you never have to pay a dime to get free money.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-05-2017, 05:16 PM
Rule #1:

When getting free money, you never have to pay a dime to get free money.

What??????? :shock:

Hal-9000
09-05-2017, 05:24 PM
What??????? :shock:

Let me explain. Give me your Visa number and I'll show you something.

:)

Teh One Who Knocks
09-05-2017, 05:28 PM
You know, you want to feel bad for people that are victims of a scam most of the time, but if you are as stupid as this person was, you almost kinda deserve it :facepalm:

Hal-9000
09-05-2017, 05:30 PM
I saw a scam that involved seniors and an investment deal. The guy had everything from company letterhead to business cards and bilked old folks out of thousands. I feel very sorry for those victims.

The people like in this story..I feel a little bit sorry for :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Definitely, there are some scams that go all the way to make it seem real and it would be hard to tell without REALLY looking into it.

This scam is only barely one step up from Wallet Inspector :lol:

Hal-9000
09-05-2017, 05:43 PM
How about legal scams?

I list my car to be sold using a free online autotrader-like site. On the second day it's listed a company calls me, says they'll buy my car and sell it for me. I only have to give them 499.00 and since I originally listed it for 15000, they will reimburse me 15, 499 when the deal is complete. The person says if 'Bob', their manager contacts me, the car is good as sold. Bob contacts me within one hour.

In the meantime I've researched the company and it's one of those we change our names with the wind companies. "Auto-Realtors, Auto-Purchasers, Car-Realtors etc". The negative feedback is mostly from the other side of the company, people who have bought vehicles through the service. Some of them were being charged 27% interest and all of them said they were misled on purchase price and interest rates. One guy said he thought he was paying around 20000 for a truck. Turns out with the interest and fees it will work out to around 27000.

I finally find someone who had paid the 499 and I guess the scam is, they say they will sell your car and don't :lol: You keep asking and by law they are able to say they can't sell it. In some cases they do find a buyer, but it's always at your expense.

Sooooo a long one short, I challenge Bob when he calls and say I'd like to record terms of 'the deal' if that's okay (orally, on the phone) and I'm going to copy the BBB on each email...you know, just to be safe :lol:

Bob says he doesn't think I'm a good fit for his company and it's too bad, because I could have had 15000 in my hand by the next day.

Bye Bob

Teh One Who Knocks
09-05-2017, 06:57 PM
:lol:

Yeah, things like that (Craigslist, Autotrader, etc) are all full of BS like that.

Hal-9000
09-05-2017, 07:11 PM
I got hit with two of the most common scams on those sites I guess....the other warned about questions that seemed odd or inappropriate as it was some sort of info phishing scam.

let me try and remember the email convo..

*broken English at best...*

you still have car?
yes
how much for car?
tell him listed price from ad
you original owner
yes

*then in perfect English*

Are you the current registered owner of the vehicle?
me lying - That's an odd question. It could be me, my wife or one of my children who is the registered owner.
I only asked because I was curious about possible liens. Do you owe anything on the car?
No
Is it currently insured under your name?

* I totally ignored further emails from this guy because red flags were going up everywhere. At no point did he ever ask about the condition of the car, just the background of the possible driver.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-06-2017, 04:38 PM
:haha: