PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial spectator gives prosecutor the finger in court

Teh One Who Knocks
07-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Matthew Bartlett, 28, held in contempt after giving Assistant State Attorney Jeff Ashton the middle finger during open court.
By Bianca Prieto, Orlando Sentinel

http://i.imgur.com/3M1zc.jpg

Chief Judge Belvin Perry found a 28-year-old restaurant server guilty of direct contempt of court for gesturing with his middle finger at Jeff Ashton during the Casey Anthony murder trial Thursday.

Perry ordered Matthew Bartlett to spend six days in the Orange County Jail and pay a $400 fine plus $223 in court costs.

After court recessed for the day, Perry called Bartlett into the courtroom and showed him a photo of a man flipping off Ashton. Bartlett admitted he was the man in the photo making the offensive gesture with his middle finger.

Local television station Central Florida News 13 notified a court spokeswoman about Bartlett's gesture. Deputies inside the courtroom trespassed him from the courtroom and notified Perry, court spokeswoman Karen Levey said.

"I'm not sure why I even did it," Bartlett said. "I do apologize."

After court Ashton told the Orlando Sentinel he did not notice the incident.

He called it "just another odd aspect of this case."

Several signs are posted outside of the 23rd floor courtroom warning spectators that facial gestures, hand signals or audible comments are prohibited. Orange County deputies stationed around the courtroom also warn spectators prior to the start of court each morning and afternoon.

Bartlett, 28, said he was employed by TGI Friday's near the Mall at Millenia on Conroy Road. Perry appointed Bartlett a public defender because he wants to appeal the sentence. Bartlett offered no explanation about why he made the gesture toward Ashton, calling the action "stupid."

Perry warned Bartlett that his action could have jeopardized the entire case because the jury was in the courtroom at the time.

As has been typical of the case, the social-media response to this latest incident was immediate. Bartlett's first and last names, his employer and the words "spectator" and "contempt" were quickly top Twitter trends in Orlando, and within hours several Facebook pages had been created in his honor.

Jail officials said Bartlett has declined all media requests for an interview.

deebakes
07-02-2011, 01:34 AM
seems pretty harsh... worse punishment than some dudes stabbing dogs...