PDA

View Full Version : What does your ideal cabin look like?

Godfather
09-12-2017, 05:36 AM
My wife and I are dreaming of buying a cabin.

We've been to 3-4 friend's places in the past couple years. Some are BARE basics, four walls, middle of the nowhere, boat access only, with nothing but a fireplace and a tiny bit of solar power.

Others are basically just homes away from home, wifi, TV, multiple bathrooms, a grocery store within 20 minutes.

So if you guys could pick your ideal cabin - what would be the right balance in your opinion :-k The works? Totally roughing it? Somewhere in the middle? On a lake, the ocean, or in a forest?

DemonGeminiX
09-12-2017, 07:02 AM
Home away from home, on a lake somewhere secluded, in a forest or near one. Possibly on a mountain. I'm not sure about the power situation, but I'd definitely need modern day plumbing in it. I think they make solar water heaters nowadays.

RBP
09-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Far enough to feel like I got away but close enough to be a viable weekend trip. Not too big, minimal maintenance (I don't want to spend the weekend working), but power and plumbing. Proximity to shopping isn't important to me. But definitely on a lake. Not a canal connected to the lake, but the lake itself. I want the morning coffee view.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-12-2017, 11:54 AM
https://i.imgur.com/7rXiXB2.jpg

Muddy
09-12-2017, 02:27 PM
I kind of like the "On Golden Pond" type of place.. Accessible by car but definitely off the beaten path.. Would like to have something that you could have an old 50's woody boat on. Good seclusion..

Hal-9000
09-12-2017, 06:25 PM
https://i.imgur.com/tGGyePn.jpg

Hal-9000
09-12-2017, 06:27 PM
just kidding, that's my current desktop :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/Cmp1kgX.jpg

redred
09-12-2017, 06:41 PM
yoga music ? :lol:

Hal-9000
09-12-2017, 06:50 PM
shitfuckpiss

brb

Hal-9000
09-12-2017, 06:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/23rai5S.jpg

Muddy
09-12-2017, 07:03 PM
:lol: Hal the Yogi rocking the leg warmers...

Hal-9000
09-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Doesn't everyone have an outfit for yoga?

:lol: shit

Goofy
09-12-2017, 07:09 PM
yoga music ? :lol:

Riding music too :tup:

Muddy
09-12-2017, 07:13 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/rbb24l.jpg

Hal-9000
09-12-2017, 07:14 PM
sorry GF,

A few years back I severely damaged a hamstring and I do five yoga poses to stretch before riding an exercise bike. It's literally just 20 minutes of stretching and certainly not a real yoga workout.

NOW MY FAVORITE TYPE OF CABIN IS ONE THAT WOULD CONTAIN..

:lol:

Muddy
09-12-2017, 07:18 PM
sorry GF,

A few years back I severely damaged a hamstring and I do five yoga poses to stretch before riding an exercise bike. It's literally just 20 minutes of stretching and certainly not a real yoga workout.

:lol:

http://i64.tinypic.com/21o1sth.jpg

Hal-9000
09-12-2017, 07:23 PM
not a chance

below is one of the things I do....downward fatass hamstring towel

https://i.imgur.com/v0M4xXJ.jpg

Noilly Pratt
09-12-2017, 07:26 PM
I went to a wedding at Naramata, BC - where the road ends when you are near Pentiction. Such a nice little community - at that time the only accomodation was a Motel and what the groom did was to rent out the place entirely for us, as he knew the owner and got a great rate (something like $20 a unit). So we reimbursed him about $100 each and that was his wedding gift.

Such a nice resort - just walk across the dead-end lane to the lake to your own private beach. While the bride and groom were off on their honeymoon, we had a great time at the place.

That is where I'd ideally would like a cabin - on a lake. There at Naramata, or on Shuswap Lake - also in B.C.

We were camping this year and my wife felt ill, so we had to go to the hospital - over an hour drive away. It drove home the point that I'd want to be nearer medical facilities than where we were on Shuswap Lake. So, somewhere by a lake, maybe 45 minutes away from the nearest hospital (not a clinic - they aren't 24 hours) and maybe an hour drive from civilization.

Funny - I live in a seaside town and I want to go to a lake...

Noilly Pratt
09-12-2017, 07:30 PM
I do yoga as well (really, it's like you say Hal - kinda more intelligent stretching) on my bed every morning before I get up - for about 4 years.

My physio gave me the poses as she said my flexibility wasn't great - it's all back-strengthening moves and unlike a lot of my friends who make noises when rising or sitting, I feel great.

Hal-9000
09-12-2017, 07:34 PM
I went to a wedding at Naramata, BC - where the road ends when you are near Pentiction. Such a nice little community - at that time the only accomodation was a Motel and what the groom did was to rent out the place entirely for us, as he knew the owner and got a great rate (something like $20 a unit). So we reimbursed him about $100 each and that was his wedding gift.

Such a nice resort - just walk across the dead-end lane to the lake to your own private beach. While the bride and groom were off on their honeymoon, we had a great time at the place.

That is where I'd ideally would like a cabin - on a lake. There at Naramata, or on Shuswap Lake - also in B.C.

We were camping this year and my wife felt ill, so we had to go to the hospital - over an hour drive away. It drove home the point that I'd want to be nearer medical facilities than where we were on Shuswap Lake. So, somewhere by a lake, maybe 45 minutes away from the nearest hospital (not a clinic - they aren't 24 hours) and maybe an hour drive from civilization.

My Dad used to take us to Mara Lake (Shuswap Lake) every summer. Some of the best memories of my life :thumbsup:

No cabins, we stayed in a small tent trailer.

The Legend of the Red Cowboy Hat

I have to relay a family story. One year we were driving out to Mara Lake and I was wearing one of those straw cowboy hats with the whistle on the string. I leaned my head out of the car window and it blew right off my head, out the window. We were doing about 70 mph so my Dad didn't stop. I was crushed. I loved that hat.

So every trip out to Mara Lake in the following years my sister or brother would exclaim - Hey hal! There's your red hat! And they would point out the window like it was really there until I ended up crying. Ffs even my Mom and Dad started doing it in subsequent years :lol:

bastards

Muddy
09-12-2017, 07:47 PM
I do yoga as well (really, it's like you say Hal - kinda more intelligent stretching) on my bed every morning before I get up - for about 4 years.

My physio gave me the poses as she said my flexibility wasn't great - it's all back-strengthening moves and unlike a lot of my friends who make noises when rising or sitting, I feel great.

You guys live near each other? Could think about working out together..

http://i68.tinypic.com/2m3ir9l.jpg

Hal-9000
09-12-2017, 07:49 PM
I'd put Noilly in the figure four until he tapped out

Muddy
09-12-2017, 07:53 PM
:lol: figure 4..

Hal-9000
09-12-2017, 07:56 PM
You do know that I went to school with Owen Hart and live 10 minutes from the Hart mansion? :lol:

Figure Four Yoga Stretch :thumbsup:

https://i.imgur.com/GP5lx5Q.jpg

Noilly Pratt
09-12-2017, 07:57 PM
<Taps out> :)

No - I am kind of near GF, but Hal is a province away.

Muddy
09-12-2017, 08:06 PM
You do know that I went to school with Owen Hart and live 10 minutes from the Hart mansion? :lol:

Figure Four Yoga Stretch :thumbsup:

https://i.imgur.com/GP5lx5Q.jpg

"Owen Hart" :lol:

RBP
09-12-2017, 08:18 PM
What the hell happened to this thread?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170912/fdda1e13652bf115461b600f56f0d900.jpg

Muddy
09-12-2017, 08:21 PM
Feel free to delete all my quality posts..

Hal-9000
09-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Apologies GF.

It was Red who ruined this thread :lol:

Let's talk dream cabins :thumbsup:

Griffin
09-13-2017, 12:58 AM
What does your ideal cabin look like?

I've had "Sierra Home Architect 2.0" on my computers for 20 years and spent many hundreds of hours designing different ideas. Most revolve around a multiple small building complex centered on a central cooking and facility area thus keeping all the plumbing in one spot but allowing individual living for my other family when there.
One is set up like an old western town with the "saloon" being the dining and bedrooms in the bank, jail, general store, and other buildings.

My most recent and favorite I planned after my last visit to the Great Smoky Mountain national park. It's based on dog trot style house with large windows facing the mountains from the bedroom end with an all season but closable middle area, and the kitchen and baths on the other end. The other small cabins would be close enough to use the facility's but still have their own privacy.
My idea behind this spread out plan is to keep plumbing to a minimum and in one spot, but also only open up areas depending on how many family members are there.

Godfather
09-13-2017, 01:05 AM
This thread is fucking hilarious :lol:

For me I think one big tear is between something near a lake in the 'interior' of BC where it's hot and beautiful all summer but cold as piss in Winter... or something on the ocean where you'll only be able to swim occasionally but it's far more beautiful and temperate year round.

Either way, I'd like to start with something really basic. Maybe some propane for a small fridge and hot water, but mostly it'd be about conservation, living off the grid and slowly building up a simple property over the years. Maybe adding some solar power at one point.

We have one friend who's Dad has taken a tiny 500 sq/ft cabin and built on 3 out-buildings with bunk beds, an outdoor shower and a beautiful deck slowly over summers for the past 20-years. I don't know hardly anything about building but that kind of project would be amazing. Not to mention it'd be a place where our future children would have to live a simple lifestyle in the summers, and could be free to roam around with other kids in a small community all summer and have a childhood I don't think most kids in the city get anymore. I could probably find something for a few hundred thousand, and with the way property prices are going on anything within 5-hours of town, I feel like even though it's a scary thing to do, I want to buy one sooner than later.

Griffin
09-13-2017, 01:25 AM
My vacations always take me to new locations, and every where I go I see land for sale which unerringly will have me property searching when I get home.
It usually takes me about 6 months to realize that I'm not going to be able to get that 10 plus acres thousands of miles from me but It kept me occupied designing something cool. Then I spend the next 6 months planning the up coming vacation.
I really enjoy backing under my camper and driving toward some destination and seeing whatever crosses our path. I am thankful I was able to cross the Canadian Rockies from by bucket list a couple of years ago.

Godfather
09-13-2017, 02:29 AM
My vacations always take me to new locations, and every where I go I see land for sale which unerringly will have me property searching when I get home.
It usually takes me about 6 months to realize that I'm not going to be able to get that 10 plus acres thousands of miles from me but It kept me occupied designing something cool. Then I spend the next 6 months planning the up coming vacation.
I really enjoy backing under my camper and driving toward some destination and seeing whatever crosses our path. I am thankful I was able to cross the Canadian Rockies from by bucket list a couple of years ago.

I think that's an awesome way to vacation too, I should rent a camper for a week and see if that life is maybe better suited than settling in one spot.

My wife thinks the same way. We always fall in love with wherever we've been to a cabin, but then I find somewhere else I love too. It'd be hard to pick just one spot, even if you're only looking within a few hundred km of home.

Hal-9000
09-13-2017, 02:48 AM
GF my folks had a cabin out at Hidden Valley on the Siksika Reserve about 1.5 hours east of here. Modern convenience cabins along with a nice nine hole golf course, little lake and the great outdoors. They went out there every weekend from the end of May until the end of September. They bought it when I was around 13 or 14.

It was run by Indians who lived on the Reservation and sad to say, the people that worked there would often steal from the owners and damage property. When crimes were committed, they were given a slap on the hand because it was bad form to prosecute Indian folk on the res. Dad bought the cabin and had to pay yearly lot fees that were often increased without reason.

The 2013 flood in our city that I've been mentioning destroyed the entire resort and it won't be rebuilt. My Dad sold his cabin years before the flood happened because of the native bs as well as the yearly increase in fees.

From the amount of enjoyment my parents got out of it, I'd say go for it and buy something. They had theirs for over 20 years before selling.

*Imagine you're 13 yr old me. Mom walks up - Hey you, we bought a summer cabin and will be going out there every weekend. Are you okay staying by yourself on the weekends?

me - :canada:

Godfather
09-13-2017, 02:59 AM

I adore that area. We were up there earlier this summer in Kaladen south of Penticton right on the Skaha lake which is every bit as awesome as the Shushwap. I'd kill for a spot on that lake but property prices there are redic

Godfather
09-13-2017, 03:01 AM
GF my folks had a cabin out at Hidden Valley on the Siksika Reserve about 1.5 hours east of here. Modern convenience cabins along with a nice nine hole golf course, little lake and the great outdoors. They went out there every weekend from the end of May until the end of September. They bought it when I was around 13 or 14.

It was run by Indians who lived on the Reservation and sad to say, the people that worked there would often steal from the owners and damage property. When crimes were committed, they were given a slap on the hand because it was bad form to prosecute Indian folk on the res. Dad bought the cabin and had to pay yearly lot fees that were often increased without reason.

The 2013 flood in our city that I've been mentioning destroyed the entire resort and it won't be rebuilt. My Dad sold his cabin years before the flood happened because of the native bs as well as the yearly increase in fees.

From the amount of enjoyment my parents got out of it, I'd say go for it and buy something. They had theirs for over 20 years before selling.

*Imagine you're 13 yr old me. Mom walks up - Hey you, we bought a summer cabin and will be going out there every weekend. Are you okay staying by yourself on the weekends?

me - :canada:

That's just awesome!! Exactly what I'm talking about. Kids these days need to have some summers running free and I know from friend's experiences that you make some incredible memories and friendships in little summer spots like that. Glad you sold it before all those brutal floods in 2013 :(

RBP
09-13-2017, 03:23 AM
This thread is fucking hilarious :lol:

For me I think one big tear is between something near a lake in the 'interior' of BC where it's hot and beautiful all summer but cold as piss in Winter... or something on the ocean where you'll only be able to swim occasionally but it's far more beautiful and temperate year round.

Either way, I'd like to start with something really basic. Maybe some propane for a small fridge and hot water, but mostly it'd be about conservation, living off the grid and slowly building up a simple property over the years. Maybe adding some solar power at one point.

We have one friend who's Dad has taken a tiny 500 sq/ft cabin and built on 3 out-buildings with bunk beds, an outdoor shower and a beautiful deck slowly over summers for the past 20-years. I don't know hardly anything about building but that kind of project would be amazing. Not to mention it'd be a place where our future children would have to live a simple lifestyle in the summers, and could be free to roam around with other kids in a small community all summer and have a childhood I don't think most kids in the city get anymore. I could probably find something for a few hundred thousand, and with the way property prices are going on anything within 5-hours of town, I feel like even though it's a scary thing to do, I want to buy one sooner than later.

I pulled into a trailer park recently delivering packages. Ugh, right? But then I noticed enclosed porches off the backs, extended roof lines, and realized they all had docks, many with pontoon boats. Some had carved signed like "the beach house" or "Ron and Carol 1979". They were all on a channel leading to a large lake. And while it may be a mobile home park, per say, it was filled with small vacation homes that the owners maintained very well and very proud of having.

It doesn't have to be something stunning, it can be small and quaint. But most importantly, it's theirs, and they are very proud of it.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2017, 11:25 AM
....it can be small and quaint...it's theirs, and they are very proud of it.

Are you talking about your junk? :-s

:outtahere:

RBP
09-13-2017, 11:31 AM
https://i.imgur.com/I9GLWXO.jpg

DemonGeminiX
09-13-2017, 11:31 AM
:-k

It looks like he's talking about other people's junk... which, I guess is ok if he's into that sort of thing.

:shifty:

:nana:

RBP
09-13-2017, 11:33 AM
:willie:

Noilly Pratt
09-13-2017, 06:25 PM
This sure is one meandering thread!

Another possibility -- what we ended up doing is buying a tent trailer - very basic. Icebox - and just a heater for comfort. So instead of 1 location, we can go anywhere there's a place to set up, and I go off the grid - no electricity for up to 2 weeks. I have 2 RV batteries that last for about 3 days each, and take about 3 hours to charge. Here's the setup from 2 months ago...

http://i66.tinypic.com/332a491.jpg

Bought it 11 years ago for $5000...could probably sell it for $2000...

deebakes
09-14-2017, 04:13 AM
:tup:

RBP
09-14-2017, 04:20 AM

Another possibility -- what we ended up doing is buying a tent trailer - very basic. Icebox - and just a heater for comfort. So instead of 1 location, we can go anywhere there's a place to set up, and I go off the grid - no electricity for up to 2 weeks. I have 2 RV batteries that last for about 3 days each, and take about 3 hours to charge. Here's the setup from 2 months ago...

But you have to be able to back up a trailer. :oops:

I once hauled a car from Savannah, GA to Pittsburgh without ever backing up. :lol: That took planning. :P

Godfather
09-14-2017, 06:24 AM
Awesome set up Noilly!

You and your fam should check out the campsite on Whitbey Island just over the border in Washington - Fort Ebey. So much fun to explore the bluffs and old abandoned military bunker there. I have such good memories camping there as a kid... but you have to book it well in advance! We used to screw old shoes onto a piece of plywood and surf down the high sandy bluffs :lol:

Muddy
09-14-2017, 02:42 PM

Thats all you need!

Teh One Who Knocks
09-14-2017, 02:54 PM
That's not camping :facepalm:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-14-2017, 03:03 PM
https://i.imgur.com/1gayyFG.jpg

This was my last camping trip :thumbsup:

Noilly Pratt
09-14-2017, 03:38 PM

It's camping if I want my wife and daughter to come! This is at our annual family reunion - figured out that we have gone for 16 years running - missing only last year and about 5 years ago when we went to England.

:-k (http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-31998405/climber-offers-cliff-side-camping) So, you go all the way to Anglesea, UK to camp, do you Lance? I've actually been there (but not camped that way!)

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-31998405/climber-offers-cliff-side-camping

:D
(http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-31998405/climber-offers-cliff-side-camping)

Hal-9000
09-14-2017, 05:23 PM

My old boss had a 600,000 motorhome... that's not camping :lol:

The thing had more modern accoutrements than the house I'm sitting in right now. He often drove from here down to Texas on the Gulf Coast.

I asked him what his fuel bills were like and he said - You don't want to know.

Hal-9000
09-14-2017, 05:25 PM

Take the large tent out of that picture and our family of five lived in a tent trailer just like that one when we were on holidays :thumbsup:

I still remember manually pulling out and pushing in the plywood sheets the beds sat on.