PDA

View Full Version : What is going on at Area 51?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2017, 10:54 AM
By Jamie Seidel - news.com.au

https://i.imgur.com/TLAlQPZ.jpg

The tragic death of Lieutenant Colonel Eric Schultz last week on a weapons testing range in Nevada has attracted an inordinate amount of interests.

And it’s because of what we don't know.

The US Air Force has pointedly refused to reveal what aircraft he was at the controls of when the fatal accident occurred. It also took them three days to even admit his death.

This is in stark contrast to another accident, at the same range, in the same week. Details of an accident involving two A-10 ground-attack jets which forced their pilots to eject were released within hours.

So what could possibly cause such reluctance to reveal the circumstances of Schultz’ death?

“I can definitely say it was not an F-35,” Chief of Staff of the Air Force General David L. Goldfein stated at the weekend.

He was responding to speculation that this accident involved the highly controversial stealth fighter, and that this was being covered-up to protect its already bruised reputation.

The F-35 Lightning II has recently suffered several engine fires — one of which injured a pilot. It has also been the subject of warnings surrounding its ejection seat which — when combined with the weight and shape of its advanced helmet — could break the neck of its pilots.

But it wasn’t and F-35.

So what was it?

The USAF is remaining tight-lipped.

All we know is the unspecified aircraft crashed about 6pm some 200km northwest of Nellis Air Force Base in the Nevada Test and Training range. This range is also home to the extremely secretive “Area 51” research and development facility.

Everything from crashed alien spacecraft to the next-generation Blackbird ultra-fast surveillance jet are said to be housed here.

But we don’t actually know. It’s secret.

The USAF also admitted the unknown aircraft was being operated by the Air Force Materiel Command. This is the unit that funds and operates aircraft research — and facilities like Area 51 (Groom Lake).

So analysts have been pouring through declassified reports into activities in the Nevada area to glean whatever clues they can.

STEALTH COUNTERMEASURES: It was reported last year that the famous F-117 Nighthawk attack jets — used to eliminate Saddam Hussein’s air defences in the opening minutes of Operation Desert Storm in 1990 — had been brought back from retirement. Aviation enthusiasts captured its distinctive shape in the air, and on the ground, around the Groom Lake (Area 51) facility. Analysts speculate examples of the aircraft may have been reactivated to further test stealth technologies amid fears new Russian and Chinese sensors may have already negated much of the ultra-expensive F-35’s stealth advantage. But the return of the F-117 has not yet been admitted by the USAF.

THREAT EVALUATION: There is evidence the United States may have gotten its hands on one of Russia’s most capable combat jets — the Su-27P. While it first entered service in 1985, this jet is the basis upon which many of Russia’s current frontline warplanes have been built. These are widely regarded to be more manoeuvrable than equivalent Western aircraft, such as the F-15 Eagle and F-18 Hornet. At least one of these was seen engaged in a mock dogfight with a USAF F-16 Falcon near Area 51 late last year. The presence of these Russian-built aircraft has not been officially admitted, however, and explaining away a fatal crash involving one could prove an unwanted embarrassment for the Pentagon.

NEXT-GENERATION BOMBER: In January 2016, the Pentagon announced it had chosen a design to replace its ancient fleet of B-52 bombers, as well as its 1980s-era B-1B Lancer bombers. The $55 billion Northrop Grumman B-21 Raider is supposed to be a cut-price stealth design, building upon the technology already established by the B-2 Spirit. But everything about the project — including its true budget — is top secret. Whether or not a flying prototype of the B-21 exists is uncertain, but there was speculation in 2015 that Northrop Grumman had taken the gamble of building one to help it win the lucrative deal. Such a prototype would almost certainly undergo secretive testing in a location like the Nevada range.

DemonGeminiX
09-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Black box projects. Next gen stuff. Stuff that won't be revealed for another 20-30 years. You don't want people to know what's going on there, or at the other top secret proving grounds in the States, because if we know, then our enemies will know.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Black box projects. Next gen stuff. Stuff that won't be revealed for another 20-30 years. You don't want people to know what's going on there, or at the other top secret proving grounds in the States, because if we know, then our enemies will know.

https://i.imgur.com/FNMdSgH.jpg

Muddy
09-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Good answer, Demon.. Good answer.. *claps emphatically like on Family Feud*

Goofy
09-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Id like to get a look around area 51 :)

Hal-9000
09-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Break your neck punching out of a jet in trouble...yikes.

Hey test pilots, next?

Noilly Pratt
09-13-2017, 05:44 PM
Well put, DGX...

I've driven close to it with an electrical engineer friend of mine. We were maybe 20 miles away from it, in Red Rock canyon, when we noticed what looked like telephone poles and wires and he said they looked weird and "wrong" and I agreed. The wood looked like tan plastic, with no grain, and the wire was only 1 wire strung along tight. So we pulled over and got out of our car to walk up to take a closer look. We would have had to hike about 1/2 a mile to get to them.

All of a sudden, as we were 10 steps away from the car, a Hummvee appeared on a hill behind the wires, maybe a mile away. Then another. 4 guys in fatigues in each vehicle got out...so we quickly walked (just short of running) to our car and drove away, realizing we were in the middle of f*cking nowhere and 8 guys were suddenly very interested in us.

Hugh_Janus
09-13-2017, 06:59 PM
and 8 guys were suddenly very interested in us.
were you wearing short shotrs?

Muddy
09-13-2017, 07:00 PM
This one time at band camp...

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2017, 07:26 PM
The ominous sentence in red at the bottom of the sign in the OP...I wonder if anyone has been shot and killed trying to sneak into Area 51? :-k

DemonGeminiX
09-13-2017, 09:35 PM
The ominous sentence in red at the bottom of the sign in the OP...I wonder if anyone has been shot and killed trying to sneak into Area 51? :-k

I don't think so, but if they had, then it's because they posed a serious threat. Like waving a gun around and junk when they were cut off by security when intercepted. But no one ever gets close enough to be considered a real danger. Security is so tight around there. They know you're there when you're 10 miles out. It's like Noilly said. It's either men in military fatigues, or in government suits watching you. If he and his buddy had gotten any closer, then the people he saw off in the distance, plus 3 or 4 more cars would've surrounded him and his buddy and detained them for a good long time for questioning.

Noilly Pratt
09-13-2017, 10:08 PM
were you wearing short shotrs?

Well, shorts to be sure. I didn't miss leg day. Had to have been it. :)

It's like Noilly said. It's either men in military fatigues, or in government suits watching you. If he and his buddy had gotten any closer, then the people he saw off in the distance, plus 3 or 4 more cars would've surrounded him and his buddy and detained them for a good long time for questioning.

I'm sure that was security layer #1 of 5 or something. Or some good ol' boys upset at us broaching their property. Either way, it was time to leave!

DemonGeminiX
09-13-2017, 10:39 PM
Those weren't good ol' boys. Those guys were bona fide military security. That's a top secret military installation you were encroaching on. It's officially a highly classified remote detachment of Edwards Air Force base. Highly remote because Edwards Air Force base proper is in California.

I'm telling you, they knew you were there long before you got to where you stopped. And if you got any closer, military and government men would have appeared magically out of nowhere, and you would have a bigger shit-yer-pants story to tell. :lol:

Godfather
09-14-2017, 06:12 AM

Thought the same thing right when I read the headline.

You can always read up on rough plans for future aircraft projects - the Air Force has them mapped out decades in advance. For example the replacement program for the F/A-18 Super Hornet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F/A-XX_Program) and the Long Range Strike Bomber Program (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Strike_Bomber_program) (that I believe has replaced the previously very sexily named '2037 Bomber Program').

There's no question the exact specs should be kept secret, but reading up on the road-maps is pretty interesting and something I've done since I was a nerdy kid. :mrgreen:

Noilly Pratt
09-14-2017, 03:46 PM
I'm telling you, they knew you were there long before you got to where you stopped. And if you got any closer, military and government men would have appeared magically out of nowhere, and you would have a bigger shit-yer-pants story to tell. :lol:

I believe it. I know our Canada / U.S.A. border is well patrolled and before anyone steps 5 feet into the border someone knows. My route to my old office took me near the border (on Zero avenue) every weekday for about 10 years and I saw lots of patrols, and one guy trying to sprint over, and a border patrol guy was right there.

They had infared sensors Waaay before 9/11 but announced it just after so it looked like they were doing something.