PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Memorial vandalized by student from Kyrgyz Republic, police say

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2017, 11:10 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

https://i.imgur.com/lHKUw0s.jpg

A student from the Kyrgyz Republic was arrested Monday for allegedly using a penny to engrave the letters “HYPT MAEK” into the fifth pillar on the north side of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, Fox 5 DC reported.

Nurtilek Bakirov, 21, was arrested and charged with malicious destruction of property, the report said. If convicted, the maximum penalty he faces is 10 years in prison and a $25,000 fine.

The report — citing U.S. Park Police — said an officer caught Bakirov the act.

Last month, the Lincoln Memorial was tagged with red spray paint with an anti-law message.

A photo released by the National Park Service shows an expletive followed by the word "law" scrawled on the inside of one of the memorial's columns.

Workers are removing the graffiti using a "gel-type architectural pain stripper safe for use on historic stone." They say treatments will be applied until all evidence of the paint is gone.

The park service told Fox 5 DC that it is determining how to fix the structure.

"We'll have some different options over the next days and weeks to see what if any course of action there is to take, but until we know what that course of action is we can't really comment on the level of effort or amount of money that would be involved to do so," a conservator told the TV station's website.

The Kyrgyz Republic, also known as Kyrgyzstan, is a former Soviet Republic in Central Asia that borders western China.

RBP
09-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Wait, what does it mean?? and why did they finish the story talking about other vandalism?? Take your Adderall and finish the same story, dickhead.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2017, 01:49 PM
By Derrick Ward and Abby Vesoulis - NBC 4 Washington

https://i.imgur.com/Jj832ON.png

The Lincoln Memorial has been vandalized again, and this time a U.S. Park Police officer caught the vandal in the act, officials say.

Nurtilek Bakirov, 21, of Kyrgyzstan, is accused of vandalizing the memorial about 1:10 p.m. Monday, a police report says.

He was using a penny to etch "HYPT MAEK" into the fifth pillar on the north side of the memorial, the report says. The meaning of the etching was not immediately clear.

"This does represent permanent damage to the historic fabric of the memorial," Park Service conservator Justine Bello said.

Bakirov, a student, avoided reporters as he left a court appearance Tuesday.

At the monument, the officer saw and heard Bakirov scratching the penny into the pillar and asked him what he was doing.

"Sorry," Bakirov reportedly said, and then tried to walk away.

The officer ordered him to stop, and after the second time, Bakirov did.

He apologized and said he "didn’t know that you can’t do that," the report says.

"Am I in trouble for doing this?" he asked.

Bakirov was charged with destruction of property, a felony. It was not immediately clear if he had a lawyer.

Court documents show that the etched letters cannot fully be removed.

It would cost approximately $2,000 to do a polishing process that would make the carved letters less visible, but that process would also cause permanent damage to the monument, the court documents say.

In August, someone wrote "F--- law" in red spray paint on a pillar of the monument. Carved initials also were found.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Wait, what does it mean?? and why did they finish the story talking about other vandalism?? Take your Adderall and finish the same story, dickhead.

Sorry, I posted a better story :oops:

RBP
09-21-2017, 01:58 PM
I think "hypt maek" is what Curly says to Moe after "whoob whoob whoob".

SOLVED: He's a Russian 3-stooges fan.

Goofy
09-21-2017, 02:09 PM
He apologized and said he "didn’t know that you can’t do that," the report says.

Fuck off ya fuckin tube...... jail the cunt, maybe next time he'll think twice about vandalizing a historical monument.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-21-2017, 03:23 PM
:hand: He didnt know you couldnt do that

Goofy
09-21-2017, 05:15 PM
:hand: He didnt know you couldnt do that
I might try that excuse if i happen to kill my boss tomorrow......... "sorry officer, i didnt know i couldnt do that", probably get let off with a warning :tup:

Hal-9000
09-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Okay let's just go back and remove Lincoln from history and then see how easy it is for people like Nurtilek Bakirov to get into America, much less walk around and deface monuments to one of the most important people in US history.

Nurtilek...wtf, were your parents mad at you or something? :lol:

deebakes
09-23-2017, 03:24 PM
:(