PDA

View Full Version : Regulators strip Uber of London operating license

Teh One Who Knocks
09-22-2017, 12:09 PM
Kim Hjelmgaard, USA TODAY

https://i.imgur.com/K5r8U69.jpg

LONDON — London’s transportation regulator Friday stripped taxi-hailing app Uber of its license to operate in the British capital because it said it failed to show adequate corporate responsibility that affected public safety and security.

Transport for London said Uber was not "fit and proper to hold a private hire operator license" and cited the San Francisco-headquartered firm's approach to handling criminal offenses and its use of software to block regulatory bodies from gaining full access to the app. Transport for London said such moves prevented "officials from undertaking regulator or law enforcement duties."

The ruling is the latest setback for a company that has been rocked by corporate cultural issues including allegations of sexism and aggressiveness. Dara Khosrowshahi took over from Uber co-founder Travis Kalanick as CEO earlier this year. In Europe, the company has been forced to pull out of Bulgaria and Denmark and may soon exit Italy. It also faces restrictions in France, Spain and Hungary.

Tom Elvidge, Uber's general manager in London, said in a statement that "3.5 million Londoners who use our app, and more than 40,000 licensed drivers who rely on Uber to make a living, will be astounded by this decision."

He added: "If this decision stands, it will put more than 40,000 licensed drivers out of work and deprive Londoners of a convenient and affordable form of transport."

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he supported Friday’s decision. He said any operator of taxi services in the city "needs to play by the rules" and "providing an innovative service must not be at the expense of customer safety and security."

Uber has 21 days to appeal the decision, during which time it can continue to operate. Uber operates in more than 600 cities around the world, according to the firm. It operates in more than 40 towns and cities in Britain not affected by Friday's ruling.

redred
09-22-2017, 11:45 PM
been on the cards for a while

Godfather
09-23-2017, 01:12 AM
Why are we protecting the taxi industry? It's a shit industry, crappy customer service, rude, always telling you their CC machine is down, not showing up, driving off in your face if you tell them you're going somewhere they don't want to drive. They've brought it on themselves that a better, customer oriented business model has crushed them.

Fuck the cab industry. W

redred
09-23-2017, 01:17 AM
they've learnt the streets of london in their head no sat nav or toys

Hal-9000
09-23-2017, 01:25 AM
Why are we protecting the taxi industry? It's a shit industry, crappy customer service, rude, always telling you their CC machine is down, not showing up, driving off in your face if you tell them you're going somewhere they don't want to drive. They've brought it on themselves that a better, customer oriented business model has crushed them.

Fuck the cab industry. W

Never taken an Uber, but there was some friction here by the cab drivers.

Agreed on everything you say along with the most important point - it's like six bucks in a cab before you move and their fare prices are brutal. If Uber can knock a buck off the fare, I want them.

redred
09-23-2017, 01:28 AM
i've just started uber , apart from the cheaper cost the main thing the app , it's so simple and easy

Godfather
09-23-2017, 01:28 AM

I actually did see a cool little piece on Anthony Bourdain's show about that, very neat

But at least in Vancouver, the cabbies are fucked. They listen to their own music loudly, talk on their phones, barely say hello, try and take long routes. I loath them.

redred
09-23-2017, 01:34 AM
no proper taxi folk know every side street in london in their head , amazing imo

deebakes
09-23-2017, 03:53 PM
taxi's are a fucking racket. i use them frequently when traveling, but only when the host is covering the cost. what costs $15 in uber is well over $40 in a taxi :hand:

RBP
09-23-2017, 05:00 PM
taxi's are a fucking racket. i use them frequently when traveling, but only when the host is covering the cost. what costs $15 in uber is well over $40 in a taxi :hand:

And from the driver's perspective, a LOT of people expect black car service for shit rates.

Godfather
09-23-2017, 05:03 PM
And from the driver's perspective, a LOT of people expect black car service for shit rates.

Man, if I get in a cab, they're polite (or even just quiet), it doesn't smell offensive, and they drive me straight where I'm going, that's a fucking five star review from me :lol:

Hal-9000
09-23-2017, 06:29 PM

this

and don't some Uber drivers supply water, mints, handjobs etc?

reduced price+extras = :tup:

Hugh_Janus
09-25-2017, 06:21 PM
no proper taxi folk know every side street in london in their head , amazing imo

#donetheknowledge

lost in melb.
09-26-2017, 12:37 PM

I cited that phenomenon in a paper that I authored. The part of the brain associated with visualization and memory is more developed (thicker) in Cabbies than normal people