PDA

View Full Version : I used to think gun control was the answer. My research told me otherwise.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2017, 11:01 AM
By Leah Libresco - The Washington Post

https://i.imgur.com/dmPouIOl.jpg

Leah Libresco is a statistician and former newswriter at FiveThirtyEight, a data journalism site. She is the author of “Arriving at Amen.”

Before I started researching gun deaths, gun-control policy used to frustrate me. I wished the National Rifle Association would stop blocking common-sense gun-control reforms such as banning assault weapons, restricting silencers, shrinking magazine sizes and all the other measures that could make guns less deadly.

Then, my colleagues and I at FiveThirtyEight spent three months analyzing all 33,000 lives ended by guns each year in the United States, and I wound up frustrated in a whole new way. We looked at what interventions might have saved those people, and the case for the policies I’d lobbied for crumbled when I examined the evidence. The best ideas left standing were narrowly tailored interventions to protect subtypes of potential victims, not broad attempts to limit the lethality of guns.

I researched the strictly tightened gun laws in Britain and Australia and concluded that they didn’t prove much about what America’s policy should be. Neither nation experienced drops in mass shootings or other gun related-crime that could be attributed to their buybacks and bans. Mass shootings were too rare in Australia for their absence after the buyback program to be clear evidence of progress. And in both Australia and Britain, the gun restrictions had an ambiguous effect on other gun-related crimes or deaths.

When I looked at the other oft-praised policies, I found out that no gun owner walks into the store to buy an “assault weapon.” It’s an invented classification that includes any semi-automatic that has two or more features, such as a bayonet mount, a rocket-propelled grenade-launcher mount, a folding stock or a pistol grip. But guns are modular, and any hobbyist can easily add these features at home, just as if they were snapping together Legos.

As for silencers — they deserve that name only in movies, where they reduce gunfire to a soft puick puick. In real life, silencers limit hearing damage for shooters but don’t make gunfire dangerously quiet. An AR-15 with a silencer is about as loud as a jackhammer. Magazine limits were a little more promising, but a practiced shooter could still change magazines so fast as to make the limit meaningless.

As my co-workers and I kept looking at the data, it seemed less and less clear that one broad gun-control restriction could make a big difference. Two-thirds of gun deaths in the United States every year are suicides. Almost no proposed restriction would make it meaningfully harder for people with guns on hand to use them. I couldn't even answer my most desperate question: If I had a friend who had guns in his home and a history of suicide attempts, was there anything I could do that would help?

However, the next-largest set of gun deaths — 1 in 5 — were young men aged 15 to 34, killed in homicides. These men were most likely to die at the hands of other young men, often related to gang loyalties or other street violence. And the last notable group of similar deaths was the 1,700 women murdered per year, usually as the result of domestic violence. Far more people were killed in these ways than in mass-shooting incidents, but few of the popularly floated policies were tailored to serve them.

By the time we published our project, I didn’t believe in many of the interventions I’d heard politicians tout. I was still anti-gun, at least from the point of view of most gun owners, and I don’t want a gun in my home, as I think the risk outweighs the benefits. But I can’t endorse policies whose only selling point is that gun owners hate them. Policies that often seem as if they were drafted by people who have encountered guns only as a figure in a briefing book or an image on the news.

Instead, I found the most hope in more narrowly tailored interventions. Potential suicide victims, women menaced by their abusive partners and kids swept up in street vendettas are all in danger from guns, but they each require different protections.

Older men, who make up the largest share of gun suicides, need better access to people who could care for them and get them help. Women endangered by specific men need to be prioritized by police, who can enforce restraining orders prohibiting these men from buying and owning guns. Younger men at risk of violence need to be identified before they take a life or lose theirs and to be connected to mentors who can help them de-escalate conflicts.

Even the most data-driven practices, such as New Orleans’ plan to identify gang members for intervention based on previous arrests and weapons seizures, wind up more personal than most policies floated. The young men at risk can be identified by an algorithm, but they have to be disarmed one by one, personally — not en masse as though they were all interchangeable. A reduction in gun deaths is most likely to come from finding smaller chances for victories and expanding those solutions as much as possible. We save lives by focusing on a range of tactics to protect the different kinds of potential victims and reforming potential killers, not from sweeping bans focused on the guns themselves.

lost in melb.
10-04-2017, 01:05 PM
But you do have gun control. Full automatics are not allowed.

My feeling is that's where things could be tightened up more.

Full gun control on the level of other countries is probably generations away - if ever.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Automatic weapons are not banned in the United States, they are regulated under the National Firearms Act of 1934 and the Gun Control Act of 1968. Then, the Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986 which revised several portions of the GCA of 1968. One section in the new 1986 provisions banned the purchase and possession of any automatic weapons made after 1986. The only persons allowed to have an automatic weapon that was made post 1986 are the police and the military, no exceptions. For a civilian to purchase a pre-1986 automatic weapon, they have to apply for a tax stamp ($200 fee) and submit to an invasive background check conducted by the ATF and FBI which on average takes anywhere from 3 to 4 months for each transaction. And the ATF must give their approval for the sale to go through, which MUST be conducted through a gun dealer that is licensed to sell and deal in NFA firearms (weapons restricted by the United States under the NFA Act).

The ATF, as a representative of the U.S. and with authority from the National Firearms Act, can authorize the transfer of a machine gun to an unlicensed civilian. An unlicensed individual may acquire machine guns, with ATF approval. The transferor must file an ATF application, which must be completed by both parties to the transfer:

executed under penalties of perjury
both parties must reside in the same state as the individual
pay a $200 transfer tax to ATF
the application must include detailed information on the firearm and the parties to the transfer
the transferee must certify on the application that he or she is not disqualified from possessing firearms on grounds specified in law
the transferee must submit with the application (1) two photographs taken within the past year; and (2) fingerprints
the transferee must submit with the application (3) a copy of any state or local permit or license required to buy, possess, or acquire machine guns
an appropriate (local) law enforcement official must certify whether he or she has any information indicating that the firearm will be used for other than lawful purposes or that possession would violate state or federal law
the transferee must, as part of the registration process, pass an extensive Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background investigation.

If ATF denies an application, it must refund the tax. Gun owners must keep approved applications as evidence of registration of the firearms and make them available for inspection by ATF officers.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2017, 01:40 PM
And, because there are a finite number of automatic weapons that were manufactured pre-1986 in the United States, the cost of these weapons are several thousand dollars each (or more) and are cost prohibitive for most people to afford. Most, if not all, pre-1986 automatic weapons in civilian hands are owned by collectors that can afford them.

lost in melb.
10-04-2017, 05:59 PM
Ok, so the only fully-automatic weapons available (through a lengthy process) are - more or less - antiques.

I'm actually surprised, given the number of high powered weapons out there in the US and your large population that there are not more massacres. The ratio compared to total homicides is actually very small. It's just they hit psyche hard when they do occur.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2017, 02:51 PM
And that's exactly it, as stated in the OP, fully 66% of all firearm deaths in the United States are suicides. Would that number of suicides go down if people didn't have access to guns? Possibly, because a gun makes it easy to take your own life, but if someone is set on killing themselves, they will find a way, firearm or not. Then of course come the homicides which affect mostly young men. Those come from larger cities like Chicago where the gun violence is off the chart, mostly from gangs, none of which purchase their weapons legally. And by the way, Chicago, with it's sky high murder rate (more than twice as many murders as New York City and Los Angeles combined), has some of the strictest gun control policies in the country.

And you were exactly right on your last point...mass shootings (even with the very loose definition of 'mass' that they use now) make up a tiny fraction of gun deaths in the United States. The problem is that there is usually a high number of fatalities/injuries at the time and they are more often than not very 'sensational' and they stand out in the news for a very long time.