PDA

View Full Version : People are slamming Bella Thorne for a body-positive Instagram caption they say is racist

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Brianna Arps - Insider

https://i.imgur.com/mtaK6C0.jpg

Actress Bella Thorne is no stranger to talking about her body online.

Whether that means posing proudly with her armpit hair on Snapchat or showing off her acne on Instagram, the 19-year-old star has remained vocal about the importance of spreading body-positive messages.

In the caption of one of Thorne's latest posts, however, Twitter users noticed a comment that they argue is racist.

On Thursday, Thorne posted a photo of herself from a recent spread in GQ Mexico with a lengthy Instagram caption discussing why she dislikes Photoshop and her "insecurities."

p/BZmNrtngdD-

"I specifically asked for no re touching [sic] on this photo, and lemme [sic] tell you I have insecurities, about pretty much everything," Thorne wrote. "That's natural & that's human." She continued by saying that she wished "everyone talked more about their insecurities" so others wouldn't feel alone.

Almost immediately, Thorne's comments were met with immense praise. Thousands of fans responded, with many thanking her for being honest.

However, as Revelist reported, others were disappointed and called out the last few sentences of the star's caption.

When explaining how magazines often fix "perceived flaws" to make public figures look perfect, Thorne wrote: "F--- it, I'm here to tell you that's right, I'm not F------ PERFECT. I'M A HUMAN BEING AND I'M REAL. So hip hop your a---- over the fence and GET OVER IT. "

Some people claimed that her last line about people hoping over a fence was an ill-advised joke about immigration given that parts of the Mexico-United States barrier is a series of walls and fences that illegal immigrants sometimes scale in order to get into the country. Thorne's comments may have struck a chord given the intense debate surrounding President Trump's remarks about his plans to enforce stricter laws to reduce illegal immigration at US borders, including a border wall.

While it's unclear what Thorne meant by her statement about hopping a fence and who she was saying should "get over it," the actress did tag GQ Mexico — the publication that she had a photo shoot with — which was a step too far for some fans.

Several users took to Twitter to discuss the implications of Thorne's last line.
It appears that the backlash was soon brought to Thorne's attention. On October 1, she followed up her Instagram post with a tweet announcing that she's "Latina and proud," which many people considered an informal apology.
If it was meant to be an apology or explanation, Twitter still wasn't happy with the actress.
Amid the controversy, Thorne's fans came to her defense. One user believed that her remarks were simply taken "out of context."
Someone else said that people "just want a reason to be mad."
At the time of this post, she has not responded to the backlash, and a representative for Thorne did not immediately respond to INSIDER's request for comment.

Here's the full caption of Thorne's Instagram post:

"I specifically asked for no re touching [sic] on this photo, and lemme [sic] tell you I have insecurities, about pretty much everything. That's natural & that's human. You might look at this photo and think oh shush [sic] bella, but just know everytime someone looks in the mirror they simply don't see what everyone else sees. Know that it's completely normal to feel insecure and it's accepted. honestly I wish everyone talked more about their insecurities so more people in the world could know they aren't alone. That it's ok. As a public persona you know naturally that everytime you shoot with a magazine there is always small retouching. Cuz [sic] yeah if they show my acne scars or a wrinkle in my forehead or my teeth aren't perfectly white, people will look at the photo and say no she's not perfect and usually most people don't want the public trashing and I get it, But f--- it I'm here to tell you that's right I'm not F------ PERFECT. IM A HUMAN BEING AND IM REAL. So hip hop your a---- over the fence and GET OVER IT. @gqmexico#bellathorneGQ"

DemonGeminiX
10-04-2017, 12:29 PM
:lol:

Ok, I like this chick. That shit was funny.

Muddy
10-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Shes a Latina.. In what sense? Like Rachel Dolezal is a strong black woman? :lol:

Muddy
10-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Father was Cuban.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-04-2017, 03:41 PM
:facepalm:

Hal-9000
10-04-2017, 05:21 PM
she should have said - Build a bridge and get over it.

fixer-hal

deebakes
10-05-2017, 02:40 AM
jesus christ snowflakes :facepalm:

Hugh_Janus
10-05-2017, 07:13 PM
why the fuck is everyone getting "slammed" these days?

DemonGeminiX
10-05-2017, 07:31 PM
Because everybody's oversensitive about what other people say. Their tiny widdle feelings get hurt over the most inane of things.

Godfather
10-06-2017, 01:48 AM
Because everybody's oversensitive about what other people say. Their tiny widdle feelings get hurt over the most inane of things.

Not just that, I think people would've always been sensitive to this kind of mean shit, it's just that before the internet people had some respect for the adage "if you don't have something nice to say to a person, say nothing at all."

I'm sure I've said some cruel stuff here and in private chats, but never in a million years would I go on Twitter to flame some actress for the way they looked. It's just as despicable as ever, but now it's unchecked.

Hal-9000
10-06-2017, 06:23 PM
she's a whore

plain enough? :lol: