PDA

View Full Version : Vegan’s life upended after Facebook rant about “carnists” killed in Vegas

Teh One Who Knocks
10-09-2017, 11:33 AM
David Kravets - ars technica

https://i.imgur.com/J6STFRN.png

A 60-year-old Pennsylvania vegan says she’s receiving death threats and abusive phone calls—and she’s been forced to hide her Mother Nature Vegan Cuisine food truck—following her comments on Facebook mocking the deaths of dozens of Las Vegas concert-goers killed Sunday by a man shooting at them randomly from a hotel room.

“It seems like a lynch mob is forming,” Delinda Jensen told The Times Leader newspaper of Wilkes-Barre.

Jensen’s life turned upside down following this Monday post to Facebook: “Yes, I am jaded. Fifty-nine meat eaters dead. How many animals will live because of this?” Under her post, Jensen eventually commented: “I don’t give a fuck about carnists anymore,” according to a screenshot published by Metro.

That was all written the day after the high-profile Las Vegas tragedy in which an assailant’s shooting left 58 people dead and 489 wounded. Shooter Stephen Paddock killed himself in what was deemed the worst mass shooting in modern US history.

Meanwhile, Jensen doesn’t deny what she wrote on Facebook. She told the Times Leader that she is now living in fear for her life after receiving death threats. As the paper reports:

“I (expletive) up,” Jensen said while sitting at her kitchen table with son and business partner, Kyle, 28. “Was it poorly written? Absolutely. Do I regret it? Yes. I am so sorry I wrote that.”

Many Facebook users shared Jensen’s post, which generated hundreds of hate-filled comments and threats and little defense of her stance.

Jensen emphatically insisted she was not happy about the death of 59 people.

“Meat eaters or not, no one deserves to die like that,” Jensen said. “I wasn’t celebrating the death of those people. That’s not how vegans think—we are non-violent.”

Jensen, who did not respond to Ars’ request for an interview, said she’s not sure how she’ll make a living following her shutting down her food-truck operation. She said she has “canceled all of our booked events. We had a really good product, too.” She has removed her Facebook account following the reaction.

Poor social media reactions to tragedy are by no means new, and Jensen isn’t the only one facing blowback after posting about this most recent incident. CBS fired a vice president for criticizing some of the shooting victims as being “Republican gun toters” who shouldn’t get anyone’s sympathy.

DemonGeminiX
10-09-2017, 12:25 PM
You have the right to speak freely, but realize that there's consequences to what you say.

Goofy
10-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Good, fuckin twat

Teh One Who Knocks
10-09-2017, 12:51 PM
She basically said she was happy that those 59 people were dead yet she's surprised that she's receiving death wishes in return? :nuts:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-09-2017, 03:27 PM
You made the bed, now you lay in it

Godfather
10-09-2017, 05:42 PM
What an idiot... veganism seems like an extremist religion sometimes.

deebakes
10-10-2017, 02:23 AM
fucking hipsters :x

RBP
10-10-2017, 04:07 AM
What an idiot... veganism seems like an extremist religion sometimes.

How do you identify a vegan in a bar?

She's the one telling everyone she a vegan.

deebakes
10-10-2017, 04:08 AM
i thought it was the one with no friends and all alone :shrug: