PDA

View Full Version : Univ. of Wisconsin Student Govt. Calls for Plaque Near Lincoln Statue Recognizing His ‘Brutality Towards Indigenous Peoples’

Teh One Who Knocks
10-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Rachel Frommer - Washington Free Beacon

https://i.imgur.com/aACHgYy.jpg

The University of Wisconsin-Madison chancellor has shot down a student government request that a plaque be placed near an on-campus statue of Abraham Lincoln describing what they see as the president's culpability in massacres of Native Americans.

Chancellor Rebecca Blank said she was not open to making the Associated Students of Madison's desired change to the statute that has sat at the heart of the campus for over a century, student paper the Daily Cardinal reported.

Students have maintained that they want to see acknowledgement of Lincoln's role in the December 1862 execution of Sioux prisoners who had been convicted of murder and rape by military tribunals. More than 260 men had been charged, but Lincoln commuted the death sentence of all but 38.

Those executed were found guilty of crimes committed during a six-week period of violence earlier that year between natives and white settlers in Minnesota. At least some of those killed are believed to have been innocent.

ASM Chair Katrina Morrison said she wants UW to recognize Lincoln's "brutality towards indigenous peoples."

"I think that the history is irrefutable. It is clear that he played a huge role in the massacre and was killing innocent people for no reason," said Morrison.

Mariah Skenandore, a co-president of an indigenous student organization called Wunk Sheek, said refusing to place a plaque by Lincoln's statue represents the university's continued oppression of minority students.

"They don't acknowledge the impact that it is having on their students, and I'm impacted by [the statue] every day," Skenandore said. "I think the plaque is the least the university can do."

She said her group would continue to push for the change.

Chancellor Blank sees Lincoln's actions very differently than these students.

She noted Lincoln's personal involvement in reviewing the tribunals' decisions, and the president's response to a Republican leader who complained that more executions could have meant stronger electoral math for their party, in which he said, "I could not afford to hang men for votes."

Blank explained that the Lincoln statute was an important daily reminder of the president's role in advancing public higher education.

Last year, the ASM formally recognized Christopher Columbus Day as "Indigenous Peoples Day," explaining that they believed UW—which sits on historic Native American land—should recognize native heritage rather than colonizers.

Goofy
10-10-2017, 01:06 PM
:|

lost in melb.
10-10-2017, 02:00 PM
It's ok. We gave our indigenous people a 'Western' welcome as well. :machinegun:

DemonGeminiX
10-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Are your non-indigenous people crying about it today?

Hal-9000
10-10-2017, 07:16 PM
I'd like to see some of these nipple-suckers live in the alternate timeline where some of these events never happened.

You need to see the world settlers in the 17 and 1800's experienced. The natives actually did scalp people and killed without provocation and were BRUTAL.

We traveled onto their land and that was enough to incite wholesale slaughter of the visiting faction.

In your world, Native Indians would still own 1/2 of America and we'd be living by their rules. I can't say for sure what changes would result, but I'd be willing to bet you couldn't Tweet on that iPhone..

lost in melb.
10-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Are your non-indigenous people crying about it today?

We passed through that phase a decade or two ago.

DemonGeminiX
10-11-2017, 01:15 AM
:huh:

So we have to go through 10 to 20 years of this horseshit? And they're just getting started. Christ. :sad2:

RBP
10-11-2017, 01:30 AM
We passed through that phase a decade or two ago.

Attempts to resettle Aboriginals is actually one of my favorite psychology examples. You gave them housing thinking that was enough, and were shocked that they destroyed the homes and used the materials to live as they knew how.

People live within their frame of reference. It explains adjustment disorders for released prisoners and homeless transitions, and also why people do not leave ghettos or even return to them after financial gains.

deebakes
10-11-2017, 02:01 AM
:(

lost in melb.
10-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Attempts to resettle Aboriginals is actually one of my favorite psychology examples. You gave them housing thinking that was enough, and were shocked that they destroyed the homes and used the materials to live as they knew how.

People live within their frame of reference. It explains adjustment disorders for released prisoners and homeless transitions, and also why people do not leave ghettos or even return to them after financial gains.

Exactly. probably the best bet is to take the kids away from their parents. which we did for a while, it creek though it is

lost in melb.
10-11-2017, 11:01 AM
*cruel