PDA

View Full Version : City of Orlando pays man $37,500 for arresting him after confusing doughnut crumbs for meth

Teh One Who Knocks
10-16-2017, 02:20 PM
BY Jessica Schladebeck - NY Daily News

https://i.imgur.com/IdOCmOx.jpg

The City of Orlando is paying a Florida man thousands of dollars after his craving for Krispy Kreme doughnuts wrongfully landed him in a jail cell.

Orlando police officers pulled over Daniel Rushing in December 2015 for speeding out of a 7-11 they’d been monitoring after receiving a series of drug complaints. Cpl. Shelby Riggs-Hopkins, a 10-year veteran of the department, arrested him amid the stop when she spotted a rocky, white substance on the floorboard of his car.

“I kept telling them, ‘That’s glaze from a doughnut,’” Rushing told the Orlando Sentinel at the time. “They tried to say it was crack cocaine at first, then they said, ‘No, it’s meth, crystal meth.’”

The officer administered a series of road-side drug tests, two of which turned up positive for cocaine. But when lab tests returned a few weeks later, they revealed Rushing was telling the truth — the substance had in fact been the sugary glaze from a doughnut.

Rushing sued over the false results but, in a settlement reached this week, the City of Orlando agreed to pay him a $37,500 for the wrongful arrest, according to the Miami Herald.

Rushing was strip-searched and spent hours in jail before being released on $2,500 bond.

He said, while the entire experience was a frustrating one, it has not curbed his love for Krispy Kreme’s signature treat.

He picks up his doughnut every other Wednesday, he told reporters, except now he waits to chow down until he leaves his car.

Muddy
10-16-2017, 02:23 PM
What a lucky guy.. Thats some serious bank..

PorkChopSandwiches
10-16-2017, 05:41 PM
2 positive tests, WTF are these clowns doing

Muddy
10-16-2017, 05:49 PM
2 positive tests, WTF are these clowns doing

It's probably just a flaw in the test kit they are using.. What else are they supposed to do? taste it? I had a breathalyzer machine in my car that a McDonalds Filet-O-fish sandwich would set off like a champ..

PorkChopSandwiches
10-16-2017, 06:43 PM
2 different test that are incorrect leads me to believe these idiots dont know what they are doing

Muddy
10-16-2017, 06:49 PM
2 different test that are incorrect leads me to believe these idiots dont know what they are doing

Are you going to take a knee?

PorkChopSandwiches
10-16-2017, 06:54 PM
I'm good, just pointing out the incompetence

Muddy
10-16-2017, 07:03 PM
My money is that the test is incompetent. There is probably something in the glaze mixture that registers a false positive.

deebakes
10-17-2017, 03:38 AM
like meth? :?

Muddy
10-17-2017, 12:57 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/9ggj9v.jpg