PDA

View Full Version : No-Fun School Cancels Halloween, Decides To Celebrate ‘Black And Orange Day’ Instead

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Amber Randall - The Daily Caller

https://i.imgur.com/SLXwYLS.jpg

A Massachusetts elementary school decided to cancel its Halloween costume parade since it is not inclusive for all students involved, outlets reported Tuesday.

Instead of the costume parade, the school in Walpole will throw a “Black and Orange” spirit day, Boyden Elementary School officials announced.

“The costume parade is out of our ordinary routine and can be difficult for many students,” the school principal said in a message to parents. “Also, the parade is not inclusive of all the students and it is our goal each and every day to ensure all student’s individual differences are respected.”

The school will also host a Halloween party Friday, the “Monster Mash Pasta Bash,” after school so the students can have the chance to celebrate with their friends.

Some parents have expressed outrage about the decision, saying it is taking political correctness too far, while others accepted the principal’s concern about security and keeping the students safe.

“That’s the part that especially the parents and the students are having a hard time understanding,” Julie Lowre, a parent, told Fox 25 Boston. “We have numerous events not all inclusive, so if you cancel one event you have to cancel them all.”

The decision to cancel the Halloween costume parade was up to the school, one parent said.

“It’s not my decision to make, it’s decision for someone who has authority, who knows the issues more than I do,” Charissa Kaselis, a Parent Advisory Council member, said, noting the parade is open to the public which makes security difficult.

Another Walpole resident believes its unfair to the children to cancel the parade.

“I think it’s a lot of political correctness, ” a Walpole woman said. “I think it’s a shame because Halloween is the funnest day of the year next to Christmas for children.”

The Daily Caller News Foundation reached out the school but received none in time for publication.

Goofy
10-19-2017, 11:16 AM
:suicide2:

Muddy
10-19-2017, 12:30 PM
It looks like Hal got hold of those punkins...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Holes are way too big :hand:

Muddy
10-19-2017, 12:50 PM
#truth

RBP
10-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Can someone smarter than me 'splain me how a costume parade is not inclusive when all students can participate?

deebakes
10-19-2017, 02:49 PM
not everyone participates in halloween :hand:

deebakes
10-19-2017, 02:50 PM
but i don't understand why they are willing to celebrate a netflix show about a woman's prison? :?

RBP
10-19-2017, 02:53 PM
but i don't understand why they are willing to celebrate a netflix show about a woman's prison? :?Heteronormative privilege is bad. Have to learn the kids a thing or two.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-19-2017, 03:49 PM
We havent had halloween at my kids school ever, its the harvest day or some bullshit

Muddy
10-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Ya'll mutha fuckas need Jesus... It is HALLOWEEN!

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2017, 04:09 PM
They still have Halloween at my kid's school, but they are fairly restrictive on costumes and whatnot.

Muddy
10-19-2017, 04:31 PM
My kids are all dressing as Indians and Negros.

deebakes
10-19-2017, 04:50 PM
:rip:

Godfather
10-20-2017, 01:02 AM
My indonesian coworker told me she never lets her kids participate in anything to do with Halloween because back home it's not Christian. I flat out told her, I was raised strict roman catholic... but for fuck sake we'd go hit up the church rectory on our way around the neighborhood for candy :lol: This shit is just a good North American tradition... I feel sad she's depriving her kids of that.

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2017, 01:21 AM
Tell her to study her history. Christians... actually Catholics created Halloween.

Yay me.

Happy Halloween, peeps.

deebakes
10-20-2017, 02:55 AM
satanists :hand:

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2017, 03:01 AM
:nono:

Pagan stompers, thank you very much.... although it didn't work very well. :dunno:

lost in melb.
10-20-2017, 04:53 AM
Straddling the line between fall and winter, plenty and paucity, life and death, Halloween is a time of celebration and superstition. It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts.

I never knew that. For me it was an excuse to dress up scary and get candy :shrug: I suggest that's why the 'ritual' survived, because it was fun - rather than it's theological underpinnings.