PDA

View Full Version : Scot given three-month jail sentence for touching Dubai man's hip

Teh One Who Knocks
10-23-2017, 11:16 AM
The Telegraph Staff

https://i.imgur.com/q9yYfrQ.jpg

A British man has been sentenced to three months in prison in Dubai for touching a man's hip in a bar, according to campaigners.

Jamie Harron, from Stirling, was arrested in July over the incident in which he said he put his hand on a man's hip to avoid spilling a drink in a crowded bar.

The 27-year-old electrician had been working in Afghanistan and was on a two-day stopover in the United Arab Emirates at the time.

After his arrest for public indecency he lost his job and was told he could have faced up to three years in jail.

Campaign group Detained in Dubai (DiD) said he was sentenced to three months imprisonment at court on Sunday but lawyers plan to appeal.

The group said Mr Harron is "angry, disappointed, and dreads what may happen next".

He is not currently in custody while the appeal is considered, DiD chief executive Radha Stirling said.

Mr Harron has already been sentenced in absentia to 30 days in prison for failing to appear at a court hearing for making a rude gesture and drinking alcohol during the same July incident.

DiD said the 27-year-old was not told about the court date in advance and that sentence is also being appealed against.

In relation to the alleged public indecency charge, Mr Harron is said to have been holding a drink, moving through a crowded bar and held a hand in front of him to avoid spilling it on himself or others. He then "touched a man on his hip to avoid impact".

He was initially jailed for five days and then released on bail with his passport confiscated.

Ms Stirling said: "Now Jamie has been sentenced to three months; there is no telling whether a judgement on appeal will be better or worse.

"He has already suffered tremendously as a result of these allegations, and now faces the likelihood of incarceration.

"His family was unable to visit him during this critical time because they faced a very real risk of imprisonment themselves under the UAE's cyber crime laws which forbid criticism of the government.

"At this point, Jamie will definitely be pursuing civil action against his accusers when he does eventually return home, as it appears that he will not be able to find justice in the UAE."

She added: "He feels betrayed and exploited by the system, which did not investigate the reports of key witnesses in his defence and led him to believe that the case would be dropped."

A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said: "We have been in contact with a British man following his arrest in Dubai in July. We are providing consular assistance."

Goofy
10-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Close to home this one, just been talking about it with Jamie's dad Graham who runs the food van near my work. The charges were actually dropped yesterday, he'll be home tomorrow i think Graham said :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Maybe he shouldn't have been being indecent in public :hand:

Muddy
10-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Close to home this one, just been talking about it with Jamie's dad Graham who runs the food van near my work. The charges were actually dropped yesterday, he'll be home tomorrow i think Graham said :tup:

You guys are crazy going over there and vacationing with those savages.

redred
10-23-2017, 05:58 PM
He was working over there, good money from what I heard plus better weather than the UK :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-23-2017, 06:10 PM
:haha: Faggot

Hugh_Janus
10-23-2017, 09:00 PM
he'd have got KTFOd round here if he touched another man's hips :lol:

deebakes
10-24-2017, 03:23 AM
:haha: Faggot

that's what i was thinking :shock:

lost in melb.
10-24-2017, 07:30 AM
This is going to f*ck Dubai's reputation. On their heads!

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2017, 10:54 AM
BBC News

A Scottish man accused of public indecency in Dubai has had the charges against him dropped after the ruler of the Emirate of Dubai intervened.

Jamie Harron, 27, from Stirling, had been sentenced to three months in jail for touching a man's hip in a bar.

Detained in Dubai, the group representing Mr Harron, said he had been exonerated by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum.

It said Mr Harron had his passport returned and is free to leave Dubai.

Mr Harron's mother Patricia declined to be interviewed, but told BBC Scotland that the family were "ecstatic" at the news.

Mr Harron had also been accused of drinking alcohol and making a rude gesture towards the businessman who made the complaint.

Detained in Dubai spokeswoman Radha Stirling said: "The cases against him have been dismissed, and the sentence imposed by the court yesterday has been nullified.

"We wish to express our deepest gratitude to Sheikh Mohammed for his personal intervention in this case, and for exonerating Jamie at long last.

"It has now been established that the allegations against Jamie were entirely unwarranted, defamatory, and meritless."

Civil action

Ms Stirling said Mr Harron was now considering a civil action against the businessman and his employers.

Mr Harron was arrested in July and charged with public indecency.

He claimed he had simply been trying to avoid spilling his drink when he touched the man.

The man who made the complaint against Mr Harron later withdrew it, but prosecutors in Dubai continued with the case.

Mr Harron, who worked as an electrician in Afghanistan, was on a two-day stopover in the United Arab Emirates at the time of the incident.

He said he lost his job and has spent more than £30,000 in expenses and legal fees as a result of the case.

Goofy
10-24-2017, 12:12 PM
BBC News

A Scottish man accused of public indecency in Dubai has had the charges against him dropped after the ruler of the Emirate of Dubai intervened.

Jamie Harron, 27, from Stirling, had been sentenced to three months in jail for touching a man's hip in a bar.

Detained in Dubai, the group representing Mr Harron, said he had been exonerated by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum.

It said Mr Harron had his passport returned and is free to leave Dubai.

Mr Harron's mother Patricia declined to be interviewed, but told BBC Scotland that the family were "ecstatic" at the news.

Mr Harron had also been accused of drinking alcohol and making a rude gesture towards the businessman who made the complaint.

Detained in Dubai spokeswoman Radha Stirling said: "The cases against him have been dismissed, and the sentence imposed by the court yesterday has been nullified.

"We wish to express our deepest gratitude to Sheikh Mohammed for his personal intervention in this case, and for exonerating Jamie at long last.

"It has now been established that the allegations against Jamie were entirely unwarranted, defamatory, and meritless."

Civil action

Ms Stirling said Mr Harron was now considering a civil action against the businessman and his employers.

Mr Harron was arrested in July and charged with public indecency.

He claimed he had simply been trying to avoid spilling his drink when he touched the man.

The man who made the complaint against Mr Harron later withdrew it, but prosecutors in Dubai continued with the case.

Mr Harron, who worked as an electrician in Afghanistan, was on a two-day stopover in the United Arab Emirates at the time of the incident.

He said he lost his job and has spent more than £30,000 in expenses and legal fees as a result of the case.
Told ya! :nana:

Pretty cool that Sheik M ordered his release, Graham's a massive racing fan so hoping that the Sheik can give him an invite to the Dubai Carnival :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Told ya! :nana:

Pretty cool that Sheik M ordered his release, Graham's a massive racing fan so hoping that the Sheik can give him an invite to the Dubai Carnival :lol:

Did I say that didn't believe you? :-s

:slap:

I just posted the updated story

Goofy
10-24-2017, 01:28 PM
I could hear your disbelief [-(

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2017, 01:41 PM
My biggest problem is with the original headline... :-k

Shouldn't it be Scotchman? :-k

Muddy
10-24-2017, 01:47 PM