PDA

View Full Version : Elementary school apologizes after fundraising event features Trump tombstone game

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2017, 10:26 AM
By Paulina Dedaj, Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/Uwmwg8y.jpg

A Massachusetts elementary school is in hot water after fundraiser last week featured a game where students tossed bean bags at a mock tombstone for President Trump.

Principal Telena Imel, of West Parish Elementary School, wrote a letter to families apologizing for the game that appeared to politicize a school-sponsored event.

“Intentionally or not, it inappropriately brought a political agenda into what was designed to be a fun family affair,” Imel wrote.

She went on to say that such events are “not the place” for politics and that she was troubled that some families were made uncomfortable by the display, The Hill reported.

The incident took place Friday night at a fundraising event where the game was brought in by a parent who intended for the design to come off as humorous.

Some local officials say it’s too little too late for apologies.

Amanda Kesterson, head of the Gloucester Republican City Committee, told The Boston Herald that she doesn’t “think it’s appropriate to put the sitting president’s name on a tombstone.”

“It’s disrespectful to the office of the president, no matter who he is,” Kesterson added.

Muddy
10-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Another wacko Lefty... It's like a mental infection for them.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2017, 04:41 PM
If someone did this with Obama the media would be calling for a public execution

Godfather
10-25-2017, 01:23 AM
Were elementary schools at all politicized when you guys went to school? I don't remember them being this way at all.

I mean occasionally you had to do a book report on a past political leader or something... but holy shit, where do teachers on either side of the coin get off trying to entrench school kids? Hell even my parents always told me 'who you and I vote for is private.' Seems like everyone is trying to draft children to their team these days.

deebakes
10-25-2017, 01:46 AM
my kids middle school had an election last year. the green party candidate jill stein won the school election :rofl:

DemonGeminiX
10-25-2017, 02:34 AM
Were elementary schools at all politicized when you guys went to school? I don't remember them being this way at all.

I mean occasionally you had to do a book report on a past political leader or something... but holy shit, where do teachers on either side of the coin get off trying to entrench school kids? Hell even my parents always told me 'who you and I vote for is private.' Seems like everyone is trying to draft children to their team these days.

Nope. We didn't really get into modern politics, and as far back as I can remember, no teacher ever injected their own opinions into the subject matter we did cover. In my school, we were taught a watered down version of American history (colonies, Revolution, Civil War, and some occurrences before, after, and in between) that was expanded on as we progressed through the grades and were taught to love our country, but no more than memorizing and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, the National Anthem and singing a few patriotic songs like "America, the Beautiful" or "My Country Tis of Thee", among others. We were made to memorize Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, went over the Constitution, and talked about events as late as World War 2.

We never really discussed politics or anything like that... at least not in elementary school.

deebakes
10-25-2017, 03:44 AM
i don't remember really talking much current politics throughout school to be honest :shrug:

DemonGeminiX
10-25-2017, 04:40 AM
In high school, we talked about the structure of government, how the election process worked, and the history of political parties in a civics class, but nobody ever took sides or anything like that.

RBP
10-25-2017, 04:44 AM
In high school, we talked about the structure of government, how the election process worked, and the history of political parties in a civics class, but nobody ever took sides or anything like that.

Yes, actual civics. That's been dropped by most schools unfortunately.

lost in melb.
10-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Back then politicians weren't hated as much, either. I"m not just talking about Trump. What's changed?

RBP
10-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Back then politicians weren't hated as much, either. I"m not just talking about Trump. What's changed?

I'm not sure that's completely true post-Vietnam. The media coverage and social decorum/mores have changed more than our dislike for politicians.

lost in melb.
10-25-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure that's completely true post-Vietnam. The media coverage and social decorum/mores have changed more than our dislike for politicians.

I hate doing this to you, but http://www.people-press.org/2017/05/03/public-trust-in-government-1958-2017/

It's just one survey, of course.

Similar sentiments here I think "Trust in politicians has dropped to the lowest level since it was first measured in 1969, with only 26 per cent of respondents expressing confidence in the Government." I don't have a pretty graph, cause apparently, we a such a small country that we can't afford to measure shit regularly...

But to respond more directly to your assertion, an equally accurate over-arching question might be: " Why is general public cynicism at an all time high?"

RBP
10-25-2017, 05:08 PM
I hate doing this to you, but http://www.people-press.org/2017/05/03/public-trust-in-government-1958-2017/

It's just one survey, of course.

Similar sentiments here I think "Trust in politicians has dropped to the lowest level since it was first measured in 1969, with only 26 per cent of respondents expressing confidence in the Government." I don't have a pretty graph, cause apparently, we a such a small country that we can't afford to measure shit regularly...

But to respond more directly to your assertion, an equally accurate over-arching question might be: " Why is general public cynicism at an all time high?"

You didn't do anything to me. :lol: In the 60's it was the hippies protesting the war and spitting on soldiers; police cracking heads at the 1968 convention. Government infiltrating lives with illegal dossiers. And a media, that until Cronkite for Vietnam, and the Post for Watergate, generally didn't air dirty laundry. People also had lifetime employment and pensions, and while we LOVE to ignore the economic issues, the middle class had been decimated and the low SES folks have been given the store creating generational welfare. Accelerate the fervor with social media and the instant news cycle that is intended to whip people into a frenzy because it makes them money. So I am not surprised that the numbers are down in your survey post, but I don't necessarily think there is an organic increase in the nebulous "distrust of government".

Muddy
10-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Pretty well said, Rainbow..