PDA

View Full Version : Bomb that could wipe out the US: Expert's warning that terrifying super-electromagnetic pulse launched by North Korea from space would kill 90% of the population

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2017, 01:23 PM
By Tom Leonard for the Daily Mail

An attack on US electronics by North Korea could kill 90 per cent of the population by crippling the nation’s infrastructure, an expert has claimed.

A spine-chilling report said Washington is underestimating the threat of an ‘electromagnetic pulse’ (EMP), a phenomenon that could be caused by detonating a nuclear bomb high above the Earth.

Such an attack would see the release of a burst of energy that would interfere with and destroy all electronics – and North Korea has claimed it has built a warhead for this very purpose.

https://i.imgur.com/1UOwgIL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SS2MTKD.png

Despite deep scepticisim from scientists and security experts, nuclear strategist Peter Pry, who previously worked for the CIA, outlined his theories in testimony to Congress. And in an interview with Forbes magazine, he expanded on his vision of how America would fare in such an attack.

He said: ‘The US can sustain a population of 320million people only because of modern technology. An EMP that blacks out the electric grid for a year would [destroy] the critical infrastructure necessary to support such a large population.’

Airliners – of which there are 5,000 flying over the US at any one time, carrying 500,000 passengers – would crash as their electrical systems were destroyed, killing most on board, he said.

https://i.imgur.com/hgThXX7.jpg

Meanwhile, the systems that regulate gas flow through pipelines would spark, causing huge fires in cities and forests.

To make matters worse, he said, nuclear power plants will melt down within a week, causing radioactive particles to spread across the nation. Food supplies in supermarkets would be consumed within days. Without power, the national food supply would start to spoil around a month later.

A single warhead delivered by a North Korean satellite could shut down the entire electric grid and other critical infrastructure for more than a year.

In that time, Mr Pry contends up to 90 per cent of the US population could perish from starvation, disease and societal collapse.

Pyongyang has recently claimed to have developed an EMP weapon, though experts have suggested that North Korea’s limited experience with missiles means it is unlikely to be able to carry out such an attack.

And critics have said that to cause such havoc, North Korea would have to detonate a very large bomb in a very specific position. They also say tests have shown EMP causes significantly less havoc than Mr Pry claims.

Mr Pry is chief of staff of a congressional committee set up to assess the threat of EMP. However, the committee lost its funding last month. Scientists and security experts argue that the claims by Mr Pry and others are far-fetched.

lost in melb.
10-25-2017, 01:46 PM
You've just caught up with this?

It's real, look out... and won't require any special guidance systems

lost in melb.
10-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Some of the info is false though---food wouldn't be spoiled by radiation...

Muddy
10-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Im not sure we would let it get above us..?

lost in melb.
10-25-2017, 01:56 PM
I don't know why they are focusing on satellites. Just as easy to lob a missile.

Muddy
10-25-2017, 02:10 PM
We probably have a plan in place. The government does a lot of stuff the nazis at CNN aren't privy too..

lost in melb.
10-25-2017, 03:10 PM
yeah, Im sure there are contingencies...

If anyone wants a read, a more detailed article. I have my doubts that one bomb could take down the US, relies on some kind of theoretical chain of events. But i'm sure it could knock out an area.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/this-is-the-apocalypse-north-korea-wants-to-unleash/news-story/e768f8955cdad6527445d319ccb53274

Hal-9000
10-25-2017, 06:45 PM
Good Lord this is my not so secret fear.

Despite what the article states about precision, it only takes an approximation of altitude and no real target. If they can detonate a nuke in our atmosphere it will become Lord of Flies time.

To give you an idea of one possibility, a nuke causing an EMP will bypass any power bar because the event is too fast for regular surge protectors that prevent damage.

Likely immediate failures - phones, cars, bank machines, home computers and most appliances.

Hugh_Janus
10-25-2017, 07:51 PM
:rip: :usa: and :halal: