PDA

View Full Version : Airbnb hosts violently murder houseguest, police say

Teh One Who Knocks
11-01-2017, 10:47 AM
FOX News

https://i.imgur.com/lJPsgs4.jpg

A 36-year-old man renting a $30-a-night room in a Melbourne, Australia, house through Airbnb was murdered last week by his three hosts, police said.

One of the hosts allegedly raped the man, Ramis Jonuzi, with an object, the Guardian reported.

Jonuzi, who worked as a bricklayer, had been staying at the house for less than a week before he was allegedly murdered. He told a friend that he planned to move out early because he did not like the “energy” in the accommodation, the Age reported.

Charged with murder were Craig Levy, 36; Ryan Smart, 37; and Jason Colton, 41, the Guardian reported. Colton was also charged with raping Jonuzi.

Reviews for the unit on Airbnb were mixed, according to a review of the house’s listing by the Age. While many renters left positive impressions, some criticized the plumbing and lack of security at the home.

"Better way to spend a night, buy a $50 hammer smash your hand with it and go to the emergency hospital," one reviewer wrote late last year.

Airbnb issued a statement condemning the report of the slaying.

“There is no place on Airbnb for such an abhorrent act, which violates everything our global community stands for,” Airbnb said. “We have removed this listing from our platform and will fully co-operate with law enforcement on their investigation.”

Hal-9000
11-01-2017, 04:31 PM
I learned about AirBnBs a couple of years back and thought, it's only a matter of time before weirdo hosts start taking advantage of the situation.

We don't have them, or I'm not aware of how to see the market in my city.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-01-2017, 04:35 PM
I learned about AirBnBs a couple of years back and thought, it's only a matter of time before weirdo hosts start taking advantage of the situation.

https://www.airbnb.ca/s/Calgary--AB/homes?place_id=ChIJ1T-EnwNwcVMROrZStrE7bSY&refinement_path=%2Ffor_you&allow_override%5B%5D=&s_tag=QF1-_SFu

Hal-9000
11-01-2017, 04:40 PM
:lol: the 'penthouse' apartment one is funny. 300 deposit and 50 cleaning fee, on top of the nightly fee.

"This is not a hotel, refer to the house rules before ...blah blah blah"

It is a hotel after you demand over 400/night to rent your 'entire apartment'.

thanks Lance

Godfather
11-03-2017, 12:53 AM

Oh, you do indeed have them. When I think of horror show Air BNB stories, I immediately think of this story from Calgary :lol:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/airbnb-renters-who-trashed-calgary-house-used-fake-credit-cards-to-fuel-party-1.3065243

Hal-9000
11-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Oh, you do indeed have them. When I think of horror show Air BNB stories, I immediately think of this story from Calgary :lol:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/airbnb-renters-who-trashed-calgary-house-used-fake-credit-cards-to-fuel-party-1.3065243

"leaving behind biohazardous material"

whaaaat? :lol:

Godfather
11-04-2017, 01:53 AM
I believe the house was actually condemned :lol:

Hal-9000
11-04-2017, 05:30 PM
I'm here alone right now and could use some extra cash....but after reading ONE story, that ain't gonna happen :lol:

If I had more faith in people I'd do it, but then again I probably wouldn't ever sleep until they left.

Godfather
11-04-2017, 05:43 PM
I'm here alone right now and could use some extra cash....but after reading ONE story, that ain't gonna happen :lol:

If I had more faith in people I'd do it, but then again I probably wouldn't ever sleep until they left.

To be fair, I have a friend who lives downtown and has only had good experiences. Pays her FAR more rent than a full time roommate, and is a lot more interesting.

Hal-9000
11-04-2017, 05:46 PM
I've read a lot of books about serial killers and listened to far too many Sword & Scale podcasts that typically outline how normal people lose their shit, find the nearest stranger, and then bring out the sharp tools that plug in and do horrible things.

:lol: not a minute's sleep man...

Godfather
11-04-2017, 05:47 PM
I've read a lot of books about serial killers and listened to far too many Sword & Scale podcasts that typically outline how normal people lose their shit, find the nearest stranger, and then bring out the sharp tools that plug in and do horrible things.

:lol: not a minute's sleep man...

Ya but I bet they'd leave a nice 5-star review for you

Hal-9000
11-04-2017, 05:52 PM
I don't fear much...until I started living alone. Strangers can become unglued and I have less faith in them every year.

If Lance would stop posting these effin news stories it may help :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-07-2017, 06:16 PM
I use these services, love them. Most of the time it's cheaper than a hotel, and you get the entire house.

Godfather
11-08-2017, 05:32 AM
I use these services, love them. Most of the time it's cheaper than a hotel, and you get the entire house.

Ditto, used it when in France a few months back, only booked places where we had the place to ourselves. Cost slightly less than a decent hotel, plus we got a full kitchen which was great for not eating out every single meal!