PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Walmart shooting: 3 dead, no suspect in custody, police say

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2017, 10:28 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

https://i.imgur.com/cUzATiW.jpg

Police in suburban Denver were searching early Thursday for a man whom they say walked into a Walmart store and opened fire with a handgun, killing two men and a woman before fleeing in a car.
The vehicle was a red Mitsubishi Mirage four-door hatchback, police told the Denver Post.
The shooting appears to have been random and there were no indications that it was an act of terror, Thornton, Colo., police spokesman Victor Avila said.
"This is a very heinous act," Avila said. "We don't know exactly what the motive of the person was, but it was certainly a terrible act."

Two men died inside the Walmart, which is about 10 miles north of Denver in a busy shopping center. The woman died later at a hospital.
Authorities did not immediately release any other information about the victims.

Aaron Stephens, 44, was in the self-checkout line when he heard a single shot followed by two more bursts of gunfire before people started running for the exits.

"The employees started screaming. Customers were screaming. They were running like crazy, and I ran out too because I didn't want to get killed," he said.

Guadalupe Perez was inside the store with her young son when she heard what she thought was a balloon popping. A Walmart employee told her someone was shooting, and then Perez saw people running away yelling, "Let's go. Let's go. Leave the groceries."

"You see all these things in the news and you go through it, it's scary," she said. "But thank God we're OK and nothing happened to us."

Investigators, including special agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, were reviewing security video and interviewing witnesses to identify the suspect.

The gunman was wearing a black jacket, blue jeans and a maroon shirt, Avila told the Denver Post.

Avila said police don't yet know how many rounds were fired.

Ragan Dickens, a Walmart spokesman, said the company is working with investigators and declined to comment further.

The shooting occurred about 6:30 p.m. local time, police said. A little more than an hour later, they tweeted that there was no longer an active shooter at the scene "at this time."

Meanwhile, North Suburban Medical Center told Fox News it had admitted "two bystanders who came in stable condition." It was not immediately clear whether those injuries were part of the official total.

Twitter users posted videos of the evacuated store and multiple emergency vehicles responding to the store.

"I was just picking up my last item and about to head toward the checkout," a witness told KDVR. "I heard two slow pops that sounded like they were coming from the front checkout area, and then started to run as about four more shots rang out a little faster.

"At that point, everyone was just running and screaming."

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2017, 10:29 AM
I drive by this Walmart every day going back and forth to work, it's not all that far from my house. :wha:

lost in melb.
11-02-2017, 11:11 AM
:|

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2017, 12:29 PM
by Chuck Hickey - FOX 31 Denver

THORNTON, Colo. — The man wanted in connection to a shooting at a Walmart store in Thornton that left three people dead was identified on Thursday morning.

The Thornton Police Department said a nationwide extradition homicide warrant has been issued for 47-year-old Scott Ostrem.

He is described as a white man who was wearing a black jacket with maroon shirt and blue jeans.

He fled the scene in a 2017 red, four-door Mitsubishi Mirage with Colorado license plates 882-TQB.

Ostrem is considered armed and dangerous.

Anyone with information is asked to call a police tip line at 720-977-5069 or Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867.

https://i.imgur.com/Nqvojwt.jpg

Police said Ostrem walked into the south doors at the Walmart located at 9900 Grant St. around 6:10 p.m. Wednesday and “nonchalantly” began firing.

Two men were pronounced dead at the scene. A woman was taken to a hospital and was later pronounced dead. Their names and ages have not been released.

RBP
11-02-2017, 01:27 PM
:nuts:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2017, 02:32 PM
by Chuck Hickey - FOX 31 Denver

https://i.imgur.com/NRiUNKp.jpg

ADAMS COUNTY, Colo. — The man wanted in the shooting at a Walmart store in Thornton that left three people dead was taken into custody on Thursday morning.

A SWAT team went into an apartment in unincorporated Adams County that was believed to be connected to 47-year-old Scott Ostrem, who was identified earlier Thursday as the man wanted in the shooting.

The SWAT team went into the apartment at 7121 Samuel Drive but Ostrem was not found.

Just before 8 a.m., the 2017 red, four-door Mitsubishi Mirage associated with Ostrem drove past the apartment complex.

Law enforcement quickly took off and followed the vehicle, stopping it at West 72nd Avenue and Federal Boulevard.

The Thornton Police Department said Ostrem walked into the south doors at the Walmart located at 9900 Grant St. around 6:10 p.m. Wednesday and “nonchalantly” began firing.

Two men were pronounced dead at the scene. A woman was taken to a hospital and was later pronounced dead. Their names and ages have not been released.