PDA

View Full Version : 'Black Power' Olympian John Carlos Meets Colin Kaepernick, Calls Him 'This Generation's Ali'

Teh One Who Knocks
11-10-2017, 06:18 PM
By the TMZ Staff

https://i.imgur.com/H7PGHt0.jpg

Muhammad Ali. Jackie Robinson. Colin Kaepernick.

These names belong together in the history books -- so says Olympic legend John Carlos -- one of the two Americans behind the iconic "Black Power" salute at the '68 Games.

Carlos -- who raved about Kaepernick to TMZ Sports last month -- finally had the chance to meet the QB in person ... and shared a powerful message about Colin afterwards.

"Mr. Kaepernick, who needs no introduction, is this generation's iconic civil rights leader," Carlos said.

"Through his commitment and sacrifice to speak about the awareness of police brutality against blacks in America, Kaepernick has cemented his status in my books as one of many great individuals whose name will be spoken alongside the likes of Muhammad Ali, Jackie Robinson, Dr. Tommie Smith, Peter Norman, and myself."

Carlos also hinted he would be supporting Kaep's movement going forward, saying -- "We have a lot of more work to do. Stay tuned."

RBP
11-10-2017, 06:22 PM
:roll:

Muddy
11-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Good job disrespecting the country!! YOU are a TRUE inspiration to us all!!

lost in melb.
11-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Good job disrespecting the country!! YOU are a TRUE inspiration to us all!!

A bit different back in '68, surely?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-11-2017, 11:07 AM
A bit different back in '68, surely?

Not really....time and place. When you are out representing your country on the world stage, that is neither the right time nor place to pull this kind of stunt.

lost in melb.
11-11-2017, 03:10 PM
Not really....time and place. When you are out representing your country on the world stage, that is neither the right time nor place to pull this kind of stunt.

My understanding is that back then the world was a lot meaner place and stronger tactics were used on both sides - not as an indulgence (perhaps like today) but a fight for survival.

I confess this is an academic guess. I wasn't around then...