PDA

View Full Version : 'Inappropriate' worksheet asks middle school students about trophy wives

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2017, 12:00 PM
By Brent Solomon, Reporter - NBC 12

https://i.imgur.com/KwzWnlD.jpg

HOPEWELL, VA (WWBT) - A controversial school assignment has Hopewell parents demanding answers.

Many parents have taken to social media about a quiz they say went too far. Hopewell's superintendent agrees the assignment given to students at Woodson Middle school was not appropriate for the classroom.

Should your middle school child learn from their school what a "boy toy" is? How about a mistress? Apparently, a teacher at Woodson Middle had no problem with it.

"Do you see anything wrong with it?” NBC12 asked parent Tara Sample.

"Yeah, I do. It doesn't need to be taught in school,” she responded.

School is exactly where sixth grader Faith Sample received a shocking quiz in her Family and Consumer Science class.

"She passes the packet out and she tells us to start working on it,” the student said.

The fill-in-the-blank questions asked, “What do you call a married man's girlfriend?" "What do you call the younger boyfriend of a much older woman?”
The answers are mistress and boy toy.

"Affair. Mistress. Boy toy. Trophy Wife," Sample said, reading her answers.

The student mentioned it to her mother.

"I was like ‘we got this quiz today, and it had something about a 'boy toy' and she thought I was playing, but I really wasn’t, and she was like ‘go get the paper,'" the student explained.

"I can't believe it when she brought it to me. I was like, 'what the hell' … I immediately emailed the school board,” Tara Sample said.

The superintendent of Schools is responding, saying the student's teacher found the worksheet on the internet:

We were made aware last evening of the Facebook coverage of the assignment given to students in the Family and Consumer Sciences program at our middle school. We immediately began to investigate. Upon further review, we have determined that a teacher downloaded this worksheet from the Internet. This content was not a part of the current and approved curriculum for this course nor was it in any way an appropriate learning tool for middle school aged children. This assignment was also not included or referenced in the teacher's weekly lesson plans that are reviewed and approved in advance of instruction. Additional controls and School Board Office supports have been put in place. At this point, this matter has become a personnel issue and no further comment is appropriate.

Melody Hackney, Superintendent

"At school today, people were talking about it, how their moms were like flipping out," the sixth grader added.

So is her own mom, who insists it wasn't the time or place for a lesson like this.

"I was thinking maybe it's a young teacher that's inexperienced, but no…she's an older woman, has been teaching for years. I was surprised, because most older teachers are more conservative…I think there needs to be a reprimand,” her mother said.

The worksheet, appears to have been downloaded from the website iSLCollective.com. Some people who left comments on the website about the quiz said it was "fun," "useful" and contained "some lesser known family members." Others pointed out that it "may not be appropriate to teach to younger students."

https://i.imgur.com/Tp2Hha7.jpg

DemonGeminiX
11-14-2017, 12:04 PM
They were fine up until #17.

Godfather
11-14-2017, 04:12 PM
I mean it's tacky and poor taste, but is it worth parents flipping out and going to the superintendent and making news? :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2017, 04:21 PM
I mean it's tacky and poor taste, but is it worth parents flipping out and going to the superintendent and making news? :lol:

It's 6th graders, we're talking about kids around 12 years old. It's wildly inappropriate and needed to be brought to someone's attention.

Godfather
11-14-2017, 04:30 PM
I agree it's really tacky and inappropriate, the teacher made a bad call downloading this sheet and handing it out, and I know my mom would be pissed off too :lol: But hell I knew far worse words by that age. I'm just not sure this type of fuckup is newsworthy or needs a public statement by the superintendent

Muddy
11-14-2017, 06:43 PM
Please do not stray from Obamas approved list of worksheets..

DemonGeminiX
11-14-2017, 09:59 PM
I agree it's really tacky and inappropriate, the teacher made a bad call downloading this sheet and handing it out, and I know my mom would be pissed off too :lol: But hell I knew far worse words by that age. I'm just not sure this type of fuckup is newsworthy or needs a public statement by the superintendent

It's not about what they know, it's about what they're being taught. Did your teachers teach you the bad words you knew at that age?

Griffin
11-14-2017, 10:21 PM
It's not about what they know, it's about what they're being taught. Did your teachers teach you the bad words you knew at that age?

no...I learned all that from the ones who are acting high and mighty. :lol:

deebakes
11-19-2017, 08:00 PM
it is like the teacher decided to go off the rails just to have 20 questions :lol: