PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclist Killed While Riding Without Helmet to Protest New York Helmet Law

AntZ
07-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Motorcyclist Killed While Riding Without Helmet to Protest New York Helmet Law

Published July 03, 2011 | Associated Press

ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

Godfather
07-04-2011, 07:24 AM
:lol: Oh man... the jokes are endless.

Wonder if any of his buddies will be converted now...

Foxdana
07-04-2011, 07:32 AM
:facepalm: What a tit!

Teh One Who Knocks
07-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Motorcycles are way more dangerous than cars/trucks to begin with, it amazes me that there are so many riders that refuse to wear helmets :rolleyes:

Goofy
07-04-2011, 10:57 AM
A friend of mine died in a bike crash on saturday night :( http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Fife/article/15376/biker-dies-at-queen-margaret-hospital-after-a912-falkland-strathmiglo-accident.html

Callum Patton, used to play cricket with him........

Teh One Who Knocks
07-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Sorry to hear that mate :(

Yt Trash
07-04-2011, 12:52 PM
There's no helmet law in FL, When I rode mine I wore a helmet depending on where and when I'd ride. If it was a leisure ride on sunday down by the beach, no helmet, if it was weekday and riding on interstate, Helmet on. It was nice to ride without one but I rode more cautiously without it. It was unnerving at times.

FBD
07-04-2011, 03:21 PM
that sucks goof, sorry to hear that man

I used to ride mostly with no helmet...aint nothing like the wind on your face...shorts, sneakers, sunglasses. (but oh boy, god help you if you fuck up in that attire...)
sometimes in corners I'd be able to feel the heat from the road on my knee.

I'd love another bike sometime, but definitely no crotch rocket. If I'm gonna ride one of those, strictly on a track with helmet and leathers where you can actually make use of the ridiculous amount of power available. Harleys are too goddam expensive. Maybe I'll find a nice guzzi someday :D

was it raining? I recall seeing some storms rolling by that way saturday, it was why I didnt go to vermont for the day. bikes SUCK in the rain, you need to allow like 10 times the space to slow down.

DemonGeminiX
07-04-2011, 03:28 PM
A friend of mine died in a bike crash on saturday night :( http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Fife/article/15376/biker-dies-at-queen-margaret-hospital-after-a912-falkland-strathmiglo-accident.html

My condolences, bro.

MrsM
07-04-2011, 03:37 PM

Sorry to hear Goofy :hug:

Godfather
07-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Sorry to hear that goof :(

deebakes
07-04-2011, 04:55 PM
sorry goofster :(

Godfather
07-04-2011, 04:58 PM
I'd love another bike sometime, but definitely no crotch rocket. If I'm gonna ride one of those, strictly on a track with helmet and leathers where you can actually make use of the ridiculous amount of power available.

I came SO close to buying a bike last summer. I still really want one. Even just a 250cc Honda or Ninja would be perfect.

But I keep hearing so much shit from my family and girlfriend :roll: It hardly feels worth it at this point. I'm just being a pussy though

I should just go buy the thing and let them deal with it. But for sure - full leather and a helmet. You owe at least that much to yourself and loved ones.

FBD
07-04-2011, 05:21 PM
yeah that's why I kinda just want something loud, annoying, and not too fast :mrgreen:

minz
07-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Godfather, you should get the bike, it’s an awesome experience provided your ultra sensible..... No wait...... maybe a bikes not for you after all :lol: But seriously, bike are great fun provided you keep your whit’s about you and treat ALL other road users as idiots because you don’t know what they will do next. The leathers are a must, I rode in jeans and lost the back wheel on sand on the road, slid down the road on my side, luckily only a broken leg and picked up the worst case of gravel rash all down one side. :lol: So be careful but have fun.

Noilly Pratt
07-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Condolences, Goofy.

And, GF - I find that they don't see me in my multi-thousand pound vehicle...and they damned near ignore people on bikes around here, so unless you are heading up to the interior of BC for some nice open road adventures, I'd advise against it.

Goofy
07-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the messages of condolences :)