PDA

View Full Version : 'White Racism' course at Florida university teaches that America is 'white supremacist society'

Teh One Who Knocks
11-28-2017, 08:02 PM
By Caleb Parke | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/4FeZLCj.jpg

A Florida university is teaching a "White Racism" class designed to show "the U.S. has been and remains a white supremacist society," the course's professor told Fox News.

Dr. Ted Thornhill, a Florida Gulf Coast University sociology professor, told Fox News in a statement his class this spring is “about the search for truth” and any controversy around the title or description proves its “urgency.”

“Too many Americans, especially whites, are cocooned in a ‘bubble of unreality’ as it concerns racial matters,” Thornhill said.

Students will read “important scholarship” to “gain a deeper and more sophisticated understanding of race, white racism, racial inequality, and white supremacy,” in addition to challenging “widely and adamantly held, but empirically unsubstantiated myths about racial matters in the U.S.,” Thornhill said.

“Many whites have subscribed to and promoted racist ideologies, championed and/or enacted scores of racist laws, policies, practices, and traditions, and made incalculable decisions in their daily lives that have operated to maintain white racial domination over blacks and other people of color for hundreds of years,” he said.

Thornhill was adamant that the White Racism course isn’t “anti-white” but rather is “anti-white racism.”

“Clearly, not all white people are racists; some are even anti-racist,” Thornhill said, though he added all white people “derive, in some measure, material and psychological benefits by virtue of being racialized as white.”

Thornhill told Hello SWFL the class would discuss slavery, genocide, internment, segregation, discrimination, rape, violence, and theft against non-Europeans throughout U.S. history.

“When you name 'whiteness' I think it disturbs them,” he said. “It shakes many white people at their core and requires them to question the assumptions they have about their life…”

Thornhill says the new course wasn’t developed in response to racially charged messages found around campus last fall, but instead to give students a broad idea of the history of racism, white supremacy and how to challenge racism in today’s society, according to FOX4.

The course was expanded from 35 to 50 students and is currently at capacity.

Hal-9000
11-28-2017, 08:07 PM
You've been subjected to racism your entire life. So then you feel the need to project every shitty feeling you've had on the subject to other people?

“When you name 'whiteness' I think it disturbs them...”

Talk about perpetrating a bad idea :|

Teh One Who Knocks
11-28-2017, 08:08 PM
You've been subjected to racism your entire life. So then you feel the need to project every shitty feeling you've had on the subject to other people?

“When you name 'whiteness' I think it disturbs them...”

Talk about perpetrating a bad idea :|

Sound like you are cocooned in a ‘bubble of unreality’ as it concerns racial matters :hand:

Hal-9000
11-28-2017, 08:11 PM
c,c,c...cooned?

Is that some sorta racial slur directed at me???? :x

I'm Mulatto, not black [-(

Teh One Who Knocks
11-28-2017, 08:13 PM
You're the one out or touch with reality there Whitey :hand:

Hal-9000
11-28-2017, 08:13 PM
You know pretty soon it's going to be a crime to put on suntan lotion.

HEY! Are you trying to preserve your WHITENESS?? :x Get the cuffs..

Teh One Who Knocks
11-28-2017, 08:15 PM
You know pretty soon it's going to be a crime to put on suntan lotion.

HEY! Are you trying to preserve your WHITENESS?? :x Get the cuffs..

Don't give them any more ideas :slap:

Hal-9000
11-28-2017, 08:19 PM
I have blue eyes and blonde hair...

you know I'm going to have to get the jackboots out of the closet, it's only a matter of time :lol:

Hal-9000
11-28-2017, 08:26 PM
I can put myself in a black person's shoes anytime I want [-(

https://i.imgur.com/HJfcpJP.jpg

Muddy
11-28-2017, 08:30 PM
I have been a victim of racism my whole life too... I have been treated unfairly and poorly and accused of all kinds of things that I am not by the minority population through news articles, television programs, affirmative action and just people being downright shitty to me solely because of the color of my skin... #truth

Hal-9000
11-28-2017, 08:36 PM
https://i.imgur.com/4PlU1th.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
11-28-2017, 09:20 PM
I have been a victim of racism my whole life too... I have been treated unfairly and poorly and accused of all kinds of things that I am not by the minority population through news articles, television programs, affirmative action and just people being downright shitty to me solely because of the color of my skin... #truth

Impossible, also everyday

deebakes
11-29-2017, 03:37 AM
quiet beaner, no one asked you :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 11:35 AM

:hand:

The Oppressors cannot be oppressed #fact

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Campus Reform Staff

https://i.imgur.com/7KTVoTM.jpg

A Florida Gulf Coast University course titled “White Racism” has sparked an ongoing debate surrounding its intent, though the instructor continues to defend it in the face of criticism.

The course initially drew media attention in October, but critics and commentators have continued to spar over its legitimacy, with some describing it as hostile towards white people, and others—especially its instructor, Dr. Ted Thornhill—defending it as necessary.

In any event, the three-credit course is popular among students, having already reached its maximum capacity of 50 for the spring 2018 semester, with two students on the waitlist.

Notably, the minimum rate per credit hour at FGCU is $203, meaning students are paying at least $609 to take the course, and possibly as much as $2,514, according to the Office of the Bursar.

Participants in the course will “interrogate the concept of race,” while examining “the racist ideologies, laws, policies, and practices that have operated for hundreds of years to maintain white racial domination over those racialized as non-white.”

Additionally, students will “discuss ways to challenge white racism and white supremacy toward promoting an anti-racist society where whiteness is not tied to greater life chances,” a course description notes.

College Republicans treasurer Alex Pilkington took issue with the title of the course, telling News-Press that he would have a preferred a name such as “Systemic Racism” because “giving it ‘White Racism’ as the name of the class” makes it seem “like it’s intentional you are trying to make white people look at the class a certain way.”

Thornhill adamantly rejects such criticisms, though, remarking in an initial statement that his course is “not anti-white; it is anti-white racism.”

While he makes clear that “not all white people are racists,” pointing out that “some are even anti-racist,” Thornhill also asserts that there is “much evidence” showing that “the U.S. has been and remains a white supremacist society.”

“Any ‘controversy’ generated by the course title or description testifies to its urgency,” his statement concludes. “Attempts to paint the course as anything other than that contained in the course description, which is self-explanatory, betrays gross ignorance and/or malevolent intent as well as a self-evident need to enroll in the course.”

Muddy
11-29-2017, 01:48 PM
:hand:

The Oppressors cannot be oppressed #alternativefact

:ftfy:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 01:48 PM
:ftfy:

:privilege:

Muddy
11-29-2017, 01:54 PM
:triggered:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 01:57 PM
A cis white male can't be triggered :hand:

Muddy
11-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Sure I can, I hold all the power and can do anything I want, remember?