PDA

View Full Version : NBC announces 'Today' show co-host Matt Lauer fired due to inappropriate sexual behavior at work

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 12:19 PM
FOX News

https://i.imgur.com/eeGK04Y.jpg

“Today” show co-host Matt Lauer has been fired from NBC due to inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace.

Lauer's co-anchor Savannah Guthrie was joined by Hoda Kotb to announce the news Wednesday morning on "Today."

"This is a sad morning here at 'Today' and at NBC News," Guthrie said before reading a note from NBC News chairman Andy Lack.

This is a developing story

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 12:49 PM
by John Nolte - Breitbart

https://i.imgur.com/VuXwFqw.jpg

Matt Lauer, the longtime left-wing anchor of NBC’s Today Show, was fired Wednesday over allegations of sexual misconduct, according to the New York Times.

Along with Charlie Rose at CBS, Lauer is the second morning anchor to lose his job over sexual misconduct allegations. Last month NBC fired political commentator Mark Halperin after numerous women claimed he had behaved in appropriately with them while he was working at ABC/Disney.

Lauer’s co-anchor, Savannah Guthrie, and Hoda Kotb opened Wednesday morning’s Today Show with a chyron that read “NBC News Terminates Matt Lauer,” and read the following memo from NBC chairman Andy Lack:

Dear, colleagues,

On Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer. It represented, after a serious review, a clear violation of our company’s standards. As a result, we’ve decided to terminate his employment. While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over 20 years he has been at NBC news, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident. Our highest priority is to create a workplace environment where everyone feels safe and protected. And any action that runs counter to our core values are met with consequences. We are saddened by these events. We will face it together as a news organization and do it as transparent a manner as we can.

Guthrie said she was first told about Lauer’s firing this morning and that she did not know anything more. “For the moment, all we can say is that we are heartbroken,” she added.

President Trump was quick to weigh in with a swipe at Lauer, at the left-wing NBC News organization, and Lack himself:

DemonGeminiX
11-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Allegations. Anyone can accuse anybody of anything nowadays and it'll automatically ruin the accused's life.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Allegations. Anyone can accuse anybody of anything nowadays and it'll automatically ruin the accused's life.

It's as bad as the Salem Witch Hunts back in the 1690's FFS

Muddy
11-29-2017, 01:58 PM

Or the hunt for communists back in the 50s and 60s here..

RBP
11-29-2017, 03:46 PM
I heard he shook more than three times at a urinal. Everyone knows that's a wank. #predator

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 03:47 PM
By Kathleen Joyce | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/LWGT52Z.jpg

A tornado tore through Twitter after what has been called "the pervnado" took down yet another high-profile star.

NBC News announced Wednesday that “Today” show co-host Matt Lauer had been fired after the company received a detailed complaint from colleague Monday night “about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace.”

Celebrities, news anchors, and even the leader of the free world, took to social media to share their thoughts on the surprising termination.

One of the first reactions came from President Trump. The commander-in-chief said people should look into NBC News and MSNBC Chairman Andy Lack for “putting out so much fake news.”
NBC Nightly News and MSNBC anchor Kate Snow said she was having “trouble processing this news.”
Actress and comedian Yvette Nicole Brown said it was “sad to realize CBS and NBC have a higher standard for conduct than a lot of the voters in America.” Brown also posted Lack’s statement regarding Lauer’s termination and an article of the women who came forward accusing Trump of sexual misconduct.
Savannah Guthrie, Lauer’s fellow co-host, did not tweet her reaction, but addressed his termination during the “Today” show monologue. She said she was “heartbroken” for Lauer and the colleague who came forward with the allegations.
Rosie O’Donnell took a different tack, and tweeted instead her reaction to Trump’s statement on Lauer. O’Donnell posted a picture of Trump’s tweet with red and black writing stating: “Child Rapist.”
Actor Corey Feldman tweeted Lauer’s alleged sexual misconduct “might explain the hostile interview” he had with the “Today” show co-anchor last month.
Actress Rose McGowan tweeted: “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, Matt Lauer.”
Lauer, who has been with NBC for more than 20 years, began as a news anchor on the “Today” show in 1994 before becoming a co-anchor in 2008. The former NBC personality had signed a $20 million per year contract in 2016 that would have extended his stay at the network to 2018, making him one of the highest-paid celebrities on television.

RBP
11-29-2017, 03:52 PM
Blood in the water, plain and simple. It won't stop until women start getting allegations. C'mon guys, fire with fire.

Muddy
11-29-2017, 04:00 PM
Rosie O' donuts has los her dam mind.

RBP
11-29-2017, 04:02 PM
Rosie O' donuts has los her dam mind.

Long ago... she's a lunatic.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-29-2017, 04:27 PM
He isn't denying anything....so....

https://i.imgur.com/1sJZetG.mp4

RBP
11-29-2017, 04:29 PM

Have you seen any details? Nothing to deny.

Nor have I seen any statement from him.

Muddy
11-29-2017, 05:26 PM

https://i.imgur.com/1sJZetG.mp4

Is this real?

PorkChopSandwiches
11-29-2017, 05:29 PM
Is this real?

Its on the internet

PorkChopSandwiches
11-29-2017, 05:30 PM
Have you seen any details? Nothing to deny.

Nor have I seen any statement from him.

We shall see, I highly doubt NBC would fire him without any proof.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 05:33 PM
Is this real?

:derp:

Hal-9000
11-29-2017, 05:38 PM
Stop being glib Matt!

*agitated Tom Cruise when Matt questioned Tom about his 'views' on postpartum depression not being real*

Hal-9000
11-29-2017, 05:39 PM

*touches nose*

Totally agree

Noilly Pratt
11-29-2017, 08:18 PM
I know ... DUH... but here's the proof -- FYI The clip on S&M Matt Lauer isn't genuine...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2970661/Matt-Lauer-tells-Ellen-DeGeneres-people-believed-Fifty-Shades-Grey-spoof-actually-real.html

Teh One Who Knocks
11-30-2017, 11:13 AM
By Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

Matt Lauer, the disgraced former anchor of NBC's "Today" show who was fired Wednesday for “inappropriate sexual behavior,” once summoned a married female employee to his office, locked the door and sexually assaulted her until she passed out, the New York Times reported after interviewing the accuser.

The alleged incident occurred in 2001. The woman, who was not named in the report, told the Times that she was in her 40s at the time.

According to the report, Lauer was behind his desk and she took a seat in the office. She said he locked the door from a button at his desk and he asked her to unbutton her blouse. She said she complied and claims he got up from his desk, approached her from behind, bent her over his desk and had sex.
Woke up on the floor

She claims that she passed out during intercourse and woke up later on the floor in his office. She said Lauer had his assistant take her to a nurse. She told the Times that Lauer never mentioned the encounter with her again and she said she left the network about a year later.

The accuser asked the paper not to identify her in the report. The paper said it contacted her ex-husband who said he remembered the alleged encounter. The two were reportedly separated in 2001 and are now divorced.

The Times report said NBC received at least two more complaints about Lauer after the network announced he was fired prior to Wednesday’s "Today" broadcast.

“While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over 20 years he’s been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident,” Andrew Lack, chairman of NBC News, wrote in a memo to staff.

Sochi evidence

Meanwhile, an NBC staffer approached executives about an incident that allegedly occurred with Lauer during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

The intern allegedly provided a photo “which was a major part of the evidence which is why the firing came so quickly.” It “was so damning that they had no other option but to fire him,” a source told the New York Post. The photo “showed incontrovertible proof of inappropriate sexual behavior on his part.”

The Times, citing two people briefed on an editorial meeting at NBC headquarters on Wednesday, reported that Lauer and the intern's involvement continued after the Olympics.

Lauer has long been one of the most-liked and highest-paid figures in the TV news industry, and his firing startled many of the roughly 4 million viewers who start their day with the "Today" show.

Follows Rose firing

Lauer became the second morning host in a week to lose his job over sexual misconduct allegations. Previously, CBS fired Charlie Rose of "CBS This Morning" after several women who worked for him complained about his behavior.

Messages to Lauer and his agent were not immediately returned, and the network would not say whether he denied or admitted to any wrongdoing. He is married with three children.

Lauer, 59, has essentially been the king of television morning news since first being paired with Katie Couric on "Today" in 1997.

Ari Wilkenfeld, the attorney for Lauer's accuser, praised NBC for acting "quickly and responsibly" in response to the morning host's "egregious acts of sexual harassment and misconduct." The lawyer did not identify his client.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

lost in melb.
11-30-2017, 11:32 AM
The first accusation sounds too bizarre to be real.

The intern allegedly provided a photo “which was a major part of the evidence which is why the firing came so quickly.” It “was so damning that they had no other option but to fire him,” a source told the New York Post. The photo “showed incontrovertible proof of inappropriate sexual behavior on his part.”

The Times, citing two people briefed on an editorial meeting at NBC headquarters on Wednesday, reported that Lauer and the intern's involvement continued after the Olympics.

And this sounds like a consensual sexual relationship. Is that a sackable offence?

RBP
11-30-2017, 12:05 PM
In this environment, lowering your sunglasses as a woman walks by is a sackable offense. (Provided it happened at least 15 years ago, with no evidence).

lost in melb.
11-30-2017, 12:10 PM
I'll admit I was a a bit of a prick on the odd occasion in the 90's. And I was on the receiving end of a few manipulative bitches. I call it even :twisted:

RBP
11-30-2017, 12:21 PM
I'll admit I was a a bit of a prick on the odd occasion in the 90's. And I was on the receiving end of a few manipulative bitches. I call it even :twisted:

I have made this point. Standards of behavior change. Taking people to task for sexual actions in the 90's based on today's standards is lunacy.

Manipulation and browbeating was how it worked. The men got the illusion of conquest and the women could pretend they provided resistance and remained demure.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-30-2017, 12:54 PM
By Leora Arnowitz | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/hDib5JR.jpg

Matt Lauer issued a statement in the wake of his firing from the "Today" show, which was announced on Wednesday following a "detailed complaint" of sexual misconduct against the news anchor. More women have since spoken out about Lauer's alleged inappropriate behavior.

In a statement read by his former "Today" co-hosts, Lauer said, “There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt I am truly sorry.

"As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC. Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly."

Lauer added, "repairing the damage" caused by his alleged actions "will take a lot of time and soul searching and I’m committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job," he added.

"The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It’s been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace."

Lauer was axed on Wednesday just hours after a secret meeting where an alleged victim and her lawyer told NBC brass her story of inappropriate sexual behavior from the long-time "Today" show host. The alleged incident took place at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

Lauer's co-anchor Savannah Guthrie and "Today" colleague Hoda Kotb were given the rough task of breaking the news to viewers on Wednesday. Again on Thursday, the duo had to discuss the Lauer news.

Matt Lauer fired from 'Today' due to 'inappropriate sexual behavior' in the workplace

They read Lauer's statement and noted ahead of reading it that more women had accused Lauer of behaving inappropriately. One woman claimed to The New York Times Lauer sexually assaulted her in his office until she passed out and had to be seen by a nurse.

Another woman told Variety Lauer exposed himself to her while one more told the magazine Lauer gifted her a sex toy with a graphic note.

Guthrie noted the stories from the new accusers are "shocking and disturbing."

The allegations included claims that Lauer had a button under his desk that enabled him to close and lock the door to his office.

On Wednesday nights, Lauer's "Today" hosts had to appear on the air with wide smiles for the annual tree lighting in Rockefeller Center. They made no mention of Lauer's absence, though he too was set to host the show with them. He was reportedly quickly scrubbed from pre-taped portions of the show ahead of the broadcast.

Muddy
11-30-2017, 02:36 PM

I've never sexually assaulted any females or gone beyond further advancement after being told no or not gotten a reciprocal feeling back. Chicks are people not sex dolls. :shrug:

RBP
11-30-2017, 03:31 PM
I've never sexually assaulted any females or gone beyond further advancement after being told no or not gotten a reciprocal feeling back. Chicks are people not sex dolls. :shrug:

Oh please. You've always stopped trying at the first no or stop it. really. That's horseshit. You would have never gotten any pussy in high school or college that way.

None of us are talking about sexually assaulting anyone, and I find the sex dolls comment condescending. This is a legitimate conversation, that we have had before mind you, about where the line is between "having game", trying hard to get pussy, and the current bullshit about asking for permission at every incremental step of a seduction. It's a very grey area and not as simple as your high horse would suggest.

[/rant]

Teh One Who Knocks
11-30-2017, 03:36 PM
By Lindsey Kupfer - Page Six

<iframe src="//cdnapisec.kaltura.com/p/591531/sp/59153100/embedIframeJs/uiconf_id/6740162/partner_id/591531?iframeembed=true&playerId=kaltura_player_1413478522&entry_id=0_4na8hdvs" width="664" height="421" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozAllowFullScreen frameborder="0" style="width: 700; height: 394px;"></iframe>

Matt Lauer once told Meredith Vieira to “keep bending over” on the set of NBC’s “Today” show.

In a 2006 video that was obtained and resurfaced by TMZ on Wednesday, the disgraced anchor is seen sitting on a couch during a commercial break while one camera is still rolling.

Vieira walks over the couch, and Lauer comments on her sweater before saying, “Keep bending over like that. It’s a nice view.”

Lauer, 59, was abruptly fired on Tuesday night over sexual harassment allegations by an employee. Page Six exclusively reported that Lauer allegedly harassed a female NBC staffer during the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014.

NBC Chairman Andy Lack sent a memo to his staff on Wednesday that read, “On Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer. It represented, after serious review, a clear violation of our company’s standards. As a result, we’ve decided to terminate his employment.”

On Wednesday, more women came forward with sexual harassment allegations against Lauer.

Muddy
11-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Oh please. You've always stopped trying at the first no or stop it. really. That's horseshit. You would have never gotten any pussy in high school or college that way.

None of us are talking about sexually assaulting anyone, and I find the sex dolls comment condescending. This is a legitimate conversation, that we have had before mind you, about where the line is between "having game", trying hard to get pussy, and the current bullshit about asking for permission at every incremental step of a seduction. It's a very grey area and not as simple as your high horse would suggest.

[/rant]

Sorry to let you down, but I didn't go where I wasn't wanted. I have too much pride. I'm not saying I didn't goof around with some female friends and get touchy feely at times, but in my opinion my shenanigans were 2 sided and never crossed the lines to the point of assault. Now if you look back into my days there may have been as ass brush or 2 in school at some time, well there was this one chick I would reach between her legs from behind and palm her pussy.. But she seemed to purrr and kinda halfheartedly tell me to stop as she looked at me with the doe eyes.. Is that over the top for these times? Yeah.. Was I like 15 years old at the time? yeah.. Outside of high school has it happened.. No. Well.. Maybe one brush against a co-workers inner thigh when I worked at a department store.. She was flirty though and wore these little skirts like in Goofys thread.. I dunno.. Maybe I am fucked up. Maybe we can all learn from this shit that while it may feel good there is a big line you never cross. I feel like I know that line though. (Even though I crossed it in those 2 incidences I mentioned) I never cornered anyone or locked any doors or was told NO or STOP.

Hal-9000
11-30-2017, 07:41 PM
I'm with Muddy. It didn't matter what the standards or morals were at the time, I never pursued anything after a refusal.

1. It ain't right forcing yourself on anyone
2. Never got aroused thinking of a chick doing something against her will.
3. We had The Love Club in grade 4. That's right, grade 4. We had an equal amount of guys n girls and changed partners often. Every girl involved was into the kissing and petting.
4. Later, during my teens, girls were just as aggressive as guys. I don't mean to humble-brag, but it wasn't hard to get laid from 1980 onward.
5. Finally, if a girl said no...there always seemed to be three more who would say yes. This carried on into the 90's, even after HIV and STD's becoming rampant.

deebakes
12-01-2017, 02:52 AM
The first accusation sounds too bizarre to be real.

And this sounds like a consensual sexual relationship. Is that a sackable offence?

it might depend on whether one was a subordinate to the other :shrug:

deebakes
12-01-2017, 02:53 AM
that's the rules here at least :-k

lost in melb.
12-01-2017, 03:19 AM
that's the rules here at least :-k

I guess that would be at the discretion of the institution. It's frowned upon, for sure. Anyhow... he seems to have been a naughty boy a few too many times for the current climate.

New Rule #1 for Work Places. Don't have too much fun.

lost in melb.
12-01-2017, 03:45 AM
https://globalnews.ca/news/3889485/matt-lauer-meredith-vieira-caught-on-camera/?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

he's finished.

lost in melb.
12-01-2017, 03:47 AM
From the comments:

Donnatella Peroche · Bay City Central High School
For many women, it’s harassement only if the guy is repulsive. Otherwise, they love the attention

deebakes
12-01-2017, 04:17 AM
I guess that would be at the discretion of the institution. It's frowned upon, for sure. Anyhow... he seems to have been a naughty boy a few too many times for the current climate.

New Rule #1 for Work Places. Don't have too much fun.

sorry i wasn't clear. 'here' means my employer in my statement, there is very little leeway on it when it comes to superior-subordinate relationships that are acceptable

RBP
12-01-2017, 04:54 AM
https://globalnews.ca/news/3889485/matt-lauer-meredith-vieira-caught-on-camera/?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

he's finished.

Still, it has to be contextual in the time frame in which it occurred.

lost in melb.
12-01-2017, 04:56 AM
Still, it has to be contextual in the time frame in which it occurred.

I think you're saying it should be. But people won't view it like that.

I wonder who decided to release the video? Sounds like someone's got it in for him.

RBP
12-01-2017, 05:04 AM
I think you're saying it should be. But people won't view it like that.

I wonder who decided to release the video? Sounds like someone's got it in for him.

Oh please, you don't think this is a concerted effort to "end toxic masculinity"? They are cheering this on.

One small example... there are many... https://www.theguardian.com/world/series/the-week-in-patriarchy

RBP
12-01-2017, 05:25 AM
I want to add... my fiance has generalized tolerated my rants on this, but is a feminist, so she gives me a non-engaged nod. Which is fine. :lol:

She called me yesterday.
"They got Garrison Keillor".
"I don't understand"
"Garrison Keillor got fired. This is out of control".

Welcome to the party, my love.

lost in melb.
12-01-2017, 06:54 AM
I want to add... my fiance has generalized tolerated my rants on this, but is a feminist, so she gives me a non-engaged nod. Which is fine. :lol:

She called me yesterday.
"They got Garrison Keillor".
"I don't understand"
"Garrison Keillor got fired. This is out of control".

Welcome to the party, my love.

I googled (hadn't heard of him). It has spiralled somewhat out of control, agreed. And many more examples that only make the news locally.

e.g. this shit.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/geoffrey-rush-denies-inappropriate-behaviour-criticises-sydney-theatre-company-20171130-gzvydl.html

lost in melb.
12-01-2017, 06:57 AM
Oh please, you don't think this is a concerted effort to "end toxic masculinity"? They are cheering this on.

One small example... there are many... https://www.theguardian.com/world/series/the-week-in-patriarchy

Loopy Bitch. See my first uncensored instinct/impulse with her is to wonder if she secretly likes it up the ass. She's not building any bridges from where I'm sitting...wanna just slap her. hard.