PDA

View Full Version : Man accidentally kills himself after taking the pin out of a grenade and then posing to take a photo with it

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 12:41 PM
By Will Stewart In Moscow for MailOnline

https://i.imgur.com/5QkvSsk.jpg
Fatal mistake: Alexander 'Sasha' Chechik had sent this image to his friend showing himself holding the grenade
with the pin on his lap

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

A Russian man has died after posing for a picture with a hand grenade after taking the pin out.

Alexander 'Sasha' Chechik had sent an image to his friend showing himself holding the grenade moments before it detonated, killing him instantly.

Police say that he had sent several images to friends where he posed with the hand grenade and that this indicates that he had not intended to take his own life.

A graphic police picture shows the appalling carnage.

Moments earlier, one friend had messaged him: 'Where are you? Are you OK?'

He replied: 'Depends on what OK is in your understanding?'

He sent a picture of the grenade in his hand - with the pin removed.

The friend told him: 'Listen, don't do stupid things. Where are you?'

https://i.imgur.com/8TMh3dG.jpg
Tragic: Mr Chechik died moments after the photo was sent when the grenade detonated

Police said they believe Mr Chechik expected the grenade would not explode as long as he didn't throw it.

As he had also sent pictures to other friends, police have categorised his death as an accident not suicide, according to reports.

The Russian Investigative Committee is probing the incident, said official Natalia Smyatskaya.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-29-2017, 04:47 PM
Is it REALLY an accident

Hal-9000
11-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Don't you have to release a little arm on the grenade after taking the pin out?

As in, pulling the pin doesn't detonate the grenade?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Don't you have to release a little arm on the grenade after taking the pin out?

As in, pulling the pin doesn't detonate the grenade?

Exactly right....you can pull the pin and the put it back in as long as the arm is there and it won't detonate. Pull the pin AND let go of that arm so it comes apart and BOOM

Hal-9000
11-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Yeah I thought most grenades had a lever on them to enable the throw.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 05:47 PM
I just looked it up, after you pull the pin and disengage the lever, you have 4 seconds before the grenade explodes.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-29-2017, 05:49 PM
From Wikipedia:

The classic hand grenade design has a safety handle or lever (known in the US forces as the spoon) and a removable safety pin that prevents the handle from being released: the safety lever is spring-loaded, and once the safety pin is removed, the lever will release and ignite the detonator, then fall off. Thus, to use a grenade, the lever is grasped (to prevent release), then the pin is removed, and then the grenade is thrown, which releases the lever and ignites the detonator, triggering explosion. Some grenade types also have a safety clip to prevent the handle from coming off in transit.

To use a grenade, the soldier grips it with the throwing hand, ensuring that his thumb holds the safety lever in place; if there is a safety clip, it is removed prior to use. Left-handed soldiers are advised to invert the grenade, so the thumb is still the digit that holds the safety lever. The soldier then grabs the safety pin's pull ring with the index or middle finger of the other hand and removes it. He then throws the grenade towards the target. Soldiers are trained to throw grenades in standing, prone-to-standing, kneeling, prone-to-kneeling, and alternate prone positions and in under- or side-arm throws. If the grenade is thrown from a standing position the thrower must then immediately seek cover or lie prone if no cover is nearby.

Once the soldier throws the grenade, the safety lever releases, the striker throws the safety lever away from the grenade body as it rotates to detonate the primer. The primer explodes and ignites the fuse (sometimes called the delay element). The fuse burns down to the detonator, which explodes the main charge.

Hal-9000
11-29-2017, 05:52 PM
Cool they bring up lefties :thumbsup:

I have to roll dammit.....right after I toss this little green pineapple. Fire in the hole!!

deebakes
11-30-2017, 03:18 AM
:haha:

Godfather
11-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Cool they bring up lefties :thumbsup:

Being a left handed gun owner often sucks :lol: